PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Lyman 450 w/RCBS .430 die

Muckman
02-16-2011, 09:18 PM
I just sat down today for my first attempt at lubing with the Lyman 450. Purchased a new RCBS .430 sizing die for my MiHec H&G 503 mold output (had been pan lubing for my RugerSuperRedhawk .44mag.). The new die fit the 450 without issues. The one and only problem is that I cannot get the lube to stay out of the crimp groove. Am I missing something or is this normal? The RCBS die uses a single hole vs. the Lyman 2 hole format. I have tried adjusting the depth for the boolit in the die with no luck. While it is not that big of a deal, it would be nice to have lube in the lube grove only.
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Pete

oneokie
02-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Either you are pushing the boolit too deep into the die or the upper part of the boolit is undersized, allowing lube to migrate up into the crimp groove.

Muckman
02-16-2011, 09:35 PM
No undersizing coming out of this mold. The driving bands are being sized just fine. I have tried adjusting the boolit depth up to and including lube on the nose and lube on the base and eveyrthing in between. The lube is Carnuba Red with light heat supplied by a shop light. Only using enough pressure for lube fill.

Sully
02-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Here is a WAG because I have yet to size/lube my first slug with my RCBS...but I have read the living hell out of every piece of lit I can find about doing it.

You have a symptom of either pushing the slug in far too deep...AND / OR far too much lube "pressure" causing the lube to squeeze past the upper part of the slug body and get into the crimp groove...thats if you are POSITIVE the upper body is exactly the correct size..??

Muckman
02-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I revisited the depth adjustment today and all is well finally.
Again thanks for the great advise.

Pete

stubert
02-17-2011, 07:25 PM
It's always a good idea to ask BEFORE you do somthing to regret. Glad you got it figured out so fast. Welcome to the forum.

MtGun44
02-18-2011, 10:33 AM
You need to think how the Lyman/RCBS style works. The bottom pin (ejector pin)
acts as a valve, closing off the holes when up. As the boolit moves down, the base
acts as a continuation of the ejector pin and no lube flows until a lube groove reaches
the depth of the top hole, then lube flows into the groove. If you are getting lube
too high on the boolit, you are pushing the boolit too deeply into the mold.

Not too hard once you think it through a bit.

Now YOU will be ready to explain it to the next guy! ;-)

Bill