PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Muzzle loadings tips for 2010

coopieclan
02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
I saw top 10 casting tips in the boolit casting section, and it got me thinking...

1 Although I have not cast any boolits or reloaded cartridges I am learning what is involved. In the fullness of time I will be melting some lead of my own too.

2 I am now muzzle loading my revolver and it is cool...I am buying another muzzle loader.

3 All the stuff in my gun manual was re-explained to me with great care by guys who have been doing it for a while. I didn't blow myself up either.

4 The little lead ring from pressing my balls into the cylinder.

5 Cleaning my gun hard after a shooting session.

6 Crisco & Cream of Wheat are good for my gun.

7 learning the nomenclature in the muzzleloading hobby. Now I am more familiar.

8 There are lots of people out there doing all sorts of interesting things with guns, there is a lot to learn.

9 Don't travel around with capped cylinders

10 Measure BP by VOLUME!

northmn
02-17-2011, 12:43 PM
I could argue with #6 on COW as it can be slightly abrasive. Some prefer the felt wads. Crisco's Ok but you can get into an intermidable debate over lubes.

Since it is muzzle loading top 10

1. Tighter patch ball combos tend to foul less and be more accurate but load harder. Looser combos may still be accurate enough for a purpose and load easier.
2. Each barrel is a rule unto itself.
3. Touch of tin in the pot will sometimes help in casting pure lead ball.
4. Long barrels are cool but shorter ones shoot just as well.
5. A lot of the accuracy in a rifle is found in the lock and triggers. Expensive barrels are not magic.
6. Use liquid type cleaning lubes for bench shooting or target shooting as they eliminate fouling, grease/wax lubes in the field as they do not dry out and help protect the bore. Some wet lubes can start to rust the bore.
7. Black powder can be purchased cheaper than substitutes but has to be ordered in larger lots due to Haz-mat. If a dealer is handy BP is cheaper than subs.
8. Black powder in flintlocks.
9. 2f in larger bores (over 50) gives less velocity variation than 3f. If fouling too much see #1. 3f is not bad in larger bores for target use, but in heavier charges 2f gives less variation. There are significant differences in brands taht also help taylor a load.
10. Pure lead is easier to load even with round ball. Round ball penetration can be increased by mixing with WW or using WW.

My 10, there are others.

DP

Dean D.
02-17-2011, 01:14 PM
I won't do the full list but this one I learned personally! :holysheep

#1. There are only two types of muzzle loader shooters; Those who HAVE dryballed...and those who WILL! [smilie=s: :popcorn:

02-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Mercy! This could easily be the Top 1000 tips and not cover all the important ones.:)

A few of my tips/observations: (these have nothing to do with inlines- I don't like inlines. I own a good inline.)

Clean often. Know how to clean when shooting. Know how to clean after a day's shooting. Lack of attention to these details has accounted for more ruined muzzleloader bores than any other and has led to a bunch of wanna be mountain men giving up the sport after a short trial

Pre-plan for clearing a ball/bullet seated on top of NO charge

Real blackpowder works best

Use quality wood ramrod if insist on using wood ramrod

Understand the limitations of the muzzleloader in hunting big game- hunt close, shoot straight, shoot once

Quality round balls in quality bores are the most accurate combination if loaded slightly tight

Accurate shooting of hollow base minies is a rule unto itself

Conicals can lead a bore

Solid, flat base conicals generally are more accurate if used with some type of base wad

~~~~~~etc.

Newtire
02-18-2011, 10:22 PM
When loading a double barrelled muzzleloader, I think, "If I load this right, I will have one barrel left"