PDA

View Full Version : Age of Star Lube Sizer

LaPoint
02-16-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm new to this forum and haven't cast any boolits for about 20 yrs. I dug out some of my equipment to get it ready to go again. I have two Star Lube Sizers. I was wonder how old they may be. I've read many threads and searched for info but couldn't find what I was looking for. How can I tell the vintage of the Lube Sizers. One has a decal with PHELPS ENGINEERING Co. Inc. of East Orange N.J. The other is marked STAR MACHINE WORKS, 418 10th St. San Diego CA. Thanks in advance.

LaPoint

thebigmac
02-16-2011, 12:25 AM
[smilie=s:I'm using a Star which I received upon retireing from Balto. Md. PD.
I know for a fact it was in use LLOOOONNNGGGGG before I got it--1992,
(joined in 1958)and it was OLD then... As for the Phelps, It's a clone of the
Star. Some say it's as good as Star, But I disagree... Just my 2 cents...
I'm still using using it too..... Another member here makes dies for it, and
they are a VERY GOOD quality. "LATHESMITH" is one to talk to for those..
Sell your Phelps & use the STAR, you are going to have to clean it up good,
but it will be worth it....
Happy casting (& lubing). thebigmac

Roundnoser
02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Talk to TexasFlyBoy. You can find a recent thread about the age of the Star lube-sizers.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=106075

From what I understand, its really difficult if not impossible to determine the manufacture date unless you have the purchase reciept, etc. I think that TexasFlyBoy can figure out an approximate age based on changes in manufactured parts, etc. (will need to send him a picture or two). In the mean time, dust those babies off and start sizing!

LaPoint
02-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks tbm & roundnoser. After looking @ TXflyboy's threads I guess I have a pre-1963 STAR. It used to belong to the local PD. I know that they quit reloading practice ammo prior to 1970. Thanks again for the info.

LaPoint