PDA

View Full Version : Here's one you don't see every day!

KCSO
02-15-2011, 07:25 PM
A local Sheriff's Office brought this in for some work. The gun is an original M4 USAAC survival rifle made in about 1943. The stock had been whacked off with bolt cutters and the replacment barrel was an original with a 14" tube and therefore a no no. I took the barrel and added a 2" smooth bore section on the end to bring it to 16". The stock sections were fixed by welding on and dressing down extensions with the proper stops. The parts were then re parkerized to match the finish of the rest of the gun and the chamber reamed to set the proper headspace. The gun is now fully functional and other than the 2" extension on the barrel is just like it came in 1943. The rifle is chambered in 22 hornet and is a prety good shooter even with the short barrel.

cobroller
02-15-2011, 07:53 PM
SWAT Team?

45nut
02-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Spartan,, function is all that it was called upon to do. Nice piece of history there.

Bret4207
02-15-2011, 08:29 PM
I haven't seen one of those is decades! An old timer down home had one he let me shoot once when I was about 8 or 9. The Hornet was rare back then having been tossed on the ash heap in favor of the 222 and 22-250. Funny how times change.

1Shirt
02-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Had one of those critters in my hand and fired (I think) rounds thru it at Paine Field Washington in 1961. Didn't own a hornet then, but had about 200 rds. of GI hornet, that I pulled the blts on and dumped the prd for some dumb reason. Remember the blts weighs were 36 gr solids. The replacement for this as a survival for AF was a combo hornet/410 shotgun with a folding stock that held 5 rds of 410, and some hornet I think, but that has been a long time ago. Shot one of those with 410 (one round at Forbes AFB, in Topeka in about 1965 or so.
1Shirt!:coffee:

KCSO
02-15-2011, 10:17 PM
I'll be coming down on a prisoner transport the 20th?? I'll bring it along.

Farmall 1066
02-16-2011, 11:40 AM
KCSO, I have to ask, what on earth was the local S.D. doing with this? Glad to see you got it all "legal" again. Just wondering what on earth the S.D. had that on hand for?

Andy

RobS
02-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Yep, one you don't see everyday............Actually I've never seen one like it, but by the looks of things this rifle, having years of neglect, has found itself a nice home with a caring person to look after it. Good work KCSO!

Bent Ramrod
02-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Never saw one of those rifles outside of pictures but I remember when I bought my first Hornet (a Savage 219) the local store had a bin full of the W.C.C. military Hornet ammunition with the full metal patch. I pulled the bullets, reweighed a smaller charge of the same powder and got very good accuracy. Never could find a canister version of that fine ball powder in those rounds. It looked like the powder used in some .30 Carbine ammunition.

When that ammo ran out they got in some boxes of the military soft points that had the warning not to use them on "personnel." All of it got shot, reloaded and shot again for decades.

It was about the only inexpensive and plentiful Hornet ammunition available in the mid-70's. The Hornet revival had barely begun then.

KCSO, thanks for sharing!

KCSO
02-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Well one morning I woke up and found a machine gun in my car. Just last week an old lady dropped off her dad's silencer that he bought in 1909. Folks find something in the closet and turn it in or want to get rid of it, or they have something they shouldn't and... One time I went to a yard sale and found a M1 Carbine with a 10" barrel and a paratrooper stock on the table for sale.