PDA

View Full Version : CZ 7.62 x 39mm Bolt Action,etc.

Maven
11-16-2006, 10:41 AM
One of our club members showed up at our annual open-to-the-public Sight-In day with a new 'scoped CZ 7.62 x 39mm bolt action rifle with a set trigger. He was using Wolf steel cased 154gr. jacketed ammo. and was getting excellent results with it. I fired it once and was impressed with the trigger and workmanship and would be tempted to purchase one if I had the room for it (need to sell ~6 guns soon). I am a bit concerned about the Wolf ammo, however, in that it may be too hot for the SKS's, but obviously not for a bolt-action rifle. Btw, it was Frank Barnes' ("Cartridges of the World") opinion that the 7.62 x 39mm cartridge could equal the .30-30Win, but only in a bolt gun, not the AK's or SKS's.

Jack Stanley
11-16-2006, 09:46 PM
It would be a neat little rifle to have . I've seen the workmanship and like it .... now if they ever considered making it in left hand version . I may hafta get off the checkbook .

Jack

Buckshot
11-17-2006, 02:59 AM
...............My 7.62x39 being built on a small ring Mauser kind of keeps me from getting too radical in my reloading for it. Some data for the cartridge shows pressures of 52K. I just don't need to subject my action to that for no reason.

I'd imagine you could reach 30-30 ballistics with the 30 Rooski Shortski but I suspect the pressures would be up there, I'm sure. If the guy was shooting Wolf in his rifle, I suspect then that CZ is barreling them as a 'Fat 30', and not .300x.308".

You should get one of the bolt actions to keep your SKS company in the safe. Sounds like a good reason to me! Heck, you wouldn't even need to buy any new dies or stuff. Where's the fun in that?

...................Buckshot

Maven
11-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Rick, The Wolf ammo was indeed .311" and quite accurate. The owner of the rifle is just about ready to start reloading and I am saving some pulled Hansen 180gr. SP's (from 7.62 x 54R rnds.) for him. Since they were surprisingly accurate in my SKS (Type 56), they should do at least as well in his CZ, but I'll have to insist that he use starting loads or even a bit less than those. Although I'm tempted to buy one, I need to sell a bunch of other stuff first, and I do have my eye on a Pedersoli Pennsylvania-type muzzle loader.

JDL
11-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Maven, I can highly reccomend them! I've never shot the heavier jacketed but, with a 165 grain that Mountain Mold made, Buckshot's S-4895 load (28 grains)will shoot consistantly less than 1.5"(most of the time at 1") at 100.
Richard Mann was kind enough to send some data he'd worked up when writing an artical for Gun World, IIRC. He used the 150 grain Sierra .311" soft points with Re-7 for 2222 fps and listed group size of .88". The 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip .308" with Re-7 at 2108 fps with .80" groups. -JDL

Four Fingers of Death
11-17-2006, 11:23 PM
These rifles have been around for years in Australia, usually in 22 Hornet (like mine), 222 and 223 and are top rifle. Minature Mausers, very well made. Mick

NickSS
11-28-2006, 06:39 AM
25 years ago I had my brother's brother in law make me a 7.62X39 rifle on a Sako Vixen action. It started life as a 222 remington with a warn out barrel. Jimmy (who was a noted benchrest rifle builder in New York) screwed on a "Warn out" 308 barrel that he had contured into a medium sporter weight barrel about 18 inches long. He also put it in a Macmillan stock with pillar bedding and did some action work to allow feeding. Anyway that rifle shot way under one MOA with everything I put through it. I had it built for my new wife as her deer rifle.
At 6 pouns with a 1.5-4X scope on it it worked great. I kick myself for ever having sold it. I have been thinking about one of the CZs for several years but have no room unless I sell something (a really painful thought) Maybe a new safe?

Herb in Pa
11-28-2006, 07:11 PM
I hit a gun ticket and now have my dealer on the hunt for a Remington 799 in 7.62x39. My adventures and misadventures with the Ruger M77 in that caliber were less than fruitfull.