PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Rossi 357

northmn
02-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Went out and shot it a little bit today. Its a copy of the 92 Winchester. Couple of things about it that may need fixing. Rear sight was too high at its lowest position and shoots high with 357 mag loads but dead on with 38 special loads. Plenty of room to file it down to a more reasonable height and I have the needle files and experiences with fixed sights on muzzle loaders to do so. My old eyes need to ahve rear sight notches kind of widened anyway. May also have to put a set screw in the sight base as it seemed to be a bit too easy to move. the rifle shot to the right until I drifted it over. I have a 5-D peep sight that is itching to be installed on the rifle, but I will ahve to drill and tap it to do so and the safety is right on top where the sight would go. But the thing is really fun to shoot and I enjoyed shooting it offhand even. It shot very well with either 357's or 38's. The 38's were kind of pleasant to shoot.

DP

Fire_stick
02-14-2011, 11:38 PM
I love my 357 Rossi M92, too.

I had the same problem with mine, in that I could not lower the back sight anymore. I figured I would just make the front sight higher. I am cheap, so instead buying a new front sight, I cast one around the existing one using JB Weld. That stuff is wonderful.

Used a couple of pieces of cut plastic lid and a clothes pin to form the mold. Then spackled the paste in between the pieces of plastic.

Let it sit over night, and wala!

Then filed to height desired and reshaped with a file. It has been a year or so since I did this, and the casting has not come off. But I am mindful of it.
:redneck:

Fire_stick
02-14-2011, 11:42 PM
DP,

How does yours cycle 357 cartridges? Mine is finicky. The only factory cartridge it would consistently cycle is Monarch cartridges. I finally resorted to trimming a few thou off the case length when I reload, and that solved the problem.

colonelhogan44
02-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Call up Rossi, and a new front sight will be in your mailbox free of charge. Mine was too short as well. You'd think that they'd just manufacture the rifles with the taller sight installed.

Fire_stick
02-15-2011, 12:45 AM
Call up Rossi, and a new front sight will be in your mailbox free of charge. Mine was too short as well. You'd think that they'd just manufacture the rifles with the taller sight installed.

Heck that is tooo easy. Thanks colonelhogan44

northmn
02-15-2011, 11:04 AM
I filed the rear sight down and recut the votch with my needle files. Still have a little to go as it is still shooting about 2-3" high at lowest setting with a 158 grain full bore 357. It was about double that. Were I to use 125 grain loads it might really shoot high. I also have a few rear sights laying around from other guns. Getting a higher sight also sounds good. Once its in it should be a nice little rifle as it does shoot well. So far its been feeding everything I put through it, semi wadcutters, round nose and jacketed HPs. I have a whole bunch of older ammo I loaded for pistols, especially 38 special. The 38's really shoot but were loaded somewhere in the factory round nose specs or slightly hotter.

DP

robertbank
02-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I ordered a Skinner rear peep sight for mine. Older eyes dont' care for the open sight arrangement. I may change out the front to a FO from Steves Guns. The rifle shoots like a dream with no loading issues. Mine does shoot to the right as well and high if I set the sight picture like I do with my handguns. Dropping the front blade to the bottem of the notch gets me to POA but to hard to see for me. I'll cure both issues when I install my new peep sight.

Take Care

Bob

northmn
02-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Peep sights are good and I am looking at that possibility. I had to also do some polishing and filing on the sight elevator to get it in. Now like many sights of this type it shoots between notches on the elevator. High stepped up one and low on the lowest. I ahve a box of 125 mags to shoot up and it does not seem to like them as well as the 158 which reeally does not bother me, but I would 125 would do interesting things to some varmits. This rifle is very smooth and seems to feed what I give it. It fun also. You get some of the big bore experience without the blast and recoil although full house 357s do have a bit of kick. I shot a few varmits and small game critters with the pistols and 38's so I think this will be great also.

DP

fecmech
02-15-2011, 11:59 PM
I put a Williams sight for the 94 AE on my 92 by D&T'ing the top like a 94. Fellow on leverguns gave me the idea. The safety on mine clears just fine and I'm using the factory front sight.

Jeff H
02-16-2011, 12:24 AM
I put a Williams sight for the 94 AE on my 92 by D&T'ing the top like a 94. Fellow on leverguns gave me the idea. The safety on mine clears just fine and I'm using the factory front sight.

Hmmm, that's pretty cool. I have a Rossi 92 due in on Thursday and with the 16" tube, would love to have a peep on it. I assume that the sight base mounts forward of the lugs and that the holes are blind, requiring a bottoming taps. Do you recall the screw size? Ejected cases clear OK?

fecmech
02-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Holes are 6-48 and they are not blind, the bolt side rails ride in a groove in the side of the receiver. Yes the holes are forward of the locking lugs and cases clear just fine. I especially like the idea because you don't end up with visible holes in the side of the receiver if you were to take the sight off and sell the gun. Most people would not notice 2 plug screws on the top of the receiver.

cajun shooter
02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Contact Steve Young at Stevez Guns in Port Arthur Texas if you want a very good DVD for the tear down and how to modify the gun so that it is faster than lightnin'. It sells for about $20.

Jeff H
02-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Holes are 6-48 and they are not blind, the bolt side rails ride in a groove in the side of the receiver. Yes the holes are forward of the locking lugs and cases clear just fine. I especially like the idea because you don't end up with visible holes in the side of the receiver if you were to take the sight off and sell the gun. Most people would not notice 2 plug screws on the top of the receiver.

I am liking the idea more and more.

Contact Steve Young at Stevez Guns in Port Arthur Texas if you want a very good DVD for the tear down and how to modify the gun so that it is faster than lightnin'. It sells for about $20.

It's on my list - ahead of any other parts.

northmn
02-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I already have the 5D rear sight but I can see a possible modification to mount it like that. If one widens the notch on the rear sight it really helps for older eyes. I have my sight now ready for sighting in the load I may use most regularly and possibly for use with a lighter load by just moving the elevator. Peep sights are still good.

DP