PDA

View Full Version : If I must create a cap lock rifle, is this lock acceptable?

Naphtali
02-14-2011, 02:40 PM
This is not nearly as bizarre as it appears. I have been attempting to find a muzzleloading gun maker who will create a pair of English-style .72-caliber flintlock sporting rifles. I have my barrel blanks and 13 sets of [three different lock designs] flintlock parts that have been custom cast for me from which two or three flintlocks need be finished, fitted, and heat treated.

As I type, I have not located such a gun maker - even one who is way out of my price range - yet. Since I'm beginning to worry about finding one, I'm trying to create options.

Okay, to my question: Were I to alter the plan to create percussion cap lock rifles rather than flintlocks, would using Pedersoli's Kodiak double rifle locks be inappropriate - that is, unattractive or aesthetically unsuited for a single shot? Below is a close up of such a lock.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/Naphtalitlk/Kodiaklock-close-up.jpg

waksupi
02-14-2011, 04:31 PM
I would go with the Alexander Henry locks for an English sporting rifle.
I do know a guy here that makes fine English rifles, but you need deep pockets, and be willing to wait, as I believe he is backed up 5-6 years on orders.
Ron Paull is on this board, can't exactly remember his monicker here, Ron something. Check the BP forum. He's up in Alaska. If he is still building guns, I can recommend him very highly.

northmn
02-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Are you talking about a flintlock double? If so there are several matching locks made for them. If a single barrel, then there are even more and the one Waksupi suggested is a good one.

DP

Nobade
02-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Google around for Steve Zinh. He builds some beauties and doesn't seem out of line on prices.

Alan
02-14-2011, 11:02 PM
You can buy a pretty good percussion .72 English sporter from Dixie. Check out their .72 Gibbs African model. It is built by Pedersoli, and it is a much better setup than the Kodiak with regards to the lock and the barrels. For instance, the fender around the nipple actually works, and it is really iffy on the Kodiak.

And a second on Steve Zinh.

FrankG
02-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Try Roy , hes a good smith !

rstroh@windstream.net

Tell him Frank sent ya :)

Naphtali
02-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Sources to query- denks gott!
The .72s I am building are single shots. I have my Kodiak Safari double rifles.
The rifles I will have built will not be off-the-shelf jobbies. To make a long, unhappy story less long - nearly two decades ago I had a pair of completely custom built Ferguson Officers [Sporting] rifles created. The one that was 90-95 percent completed I futzed with for a few days. It was orgasmic. During their finishing, the [different] gun maker had a shop fire that destroyed the rifles. Gun maker had no insurance - Ouch!

About nine years ago, I contracted to have Fergusons made again. Nine years pass - nothing! A couple of months ago I received some of my steel and components back from the non-builder, some having been trashed, some - who knows???

I have fixins for rifles that I strongly prefer to have used. But this time I've brought my wants closer to what is doable - that is, English-style Sporting rifles rather than unbuildable Fergusons. (I can have 400 breeches made my way, no sweat. But two . . .)
So this is where I am.

FrankG
02-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Roy built two rifles for me with my components to my specs and did a wonderful job .

http://www.roystroh.com/

Steve Zihn is an excellent craftsman also , although I havent had rifles built by him I have seen his work on net.

IIRC , The Rifle Shoppe has breeches and some parts for Ferguson rifles builds.

Naphtali
02-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Roy built two rifles for me with my components to my specs and did a wonderful job .

http://www.roystroh.com/

Steve Zihn is an excellent craftsman also , although I havent had rifles built by him I have seen his work on net.

IIRC , The Rifle Shoppe has breeches and some parts for Ferguson rifles builds.Joe Williams made my barrels. And I can unreservedly recommend him for custom barrels. He and his new barrel guy do superior work. . . . Unfortunately, he passed on the flintlocks.

FrankG
02-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Oh Ya , Joe and Suzie at The Gun Works are good people to work with !:drinks:

webfoot10
02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Check out Ed Parry in CT. EDPARRY@BLACKHARTARMS.COM Builds nice custom muzzleloading
guns.
webfoot10