PDA

View Full Version : ARUGH! BROKE HANDlE ON MY LYMAN 450 LUBE SIZER

BOOM BOOM
02-14-2011, 12:56 AM
HI.
LYMAN DOES NOT MAKE THESE ANYMORE, & WAS OF NO HELP FOR A REPLACEMENT.
They sold me a handle that was wrong.
Then when I asked for my money back, 4 times, they finally responded &offered to sell me a handle upgrade kit... NOT MY MONEY BACK.
The upgrade kit which IIRC from reading here, was not a easy / straight-forward fix.

Would anyone who has a strait-forward fix.
Or has done the handle upgrade PLEASE REPLY WITH Their EXPERIENCE.

stubshaft
02-14-2011, 01:18 AM
HI.
Then when I asked for my money back, 4 times, they finally responded &offered to sell me a handle upgrade kit... NOT MY MONEY BACK.
The upgrade kit which IIRC from reading here, was not a easy / straight-forward fix.

Would anyone who has a strait-forward fix.
Or has done the handle upgrade PLEASE REPLY WITH Their EXPERIENCE.

They sold me the same upgrade even though all I needed was the toggle. IIRC - the only difference is that the later 4500 had a ball on the end of the handle.

waksupi
02-14-2011, 02:22 AM
I broke mine years ago. Since then, I have had a piece of pipe slipped over the stud, with some Acraglas to hold it in place. Works for me, but I'm kinda into redneck engineering.

Pat I.
02-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Brazed mine back on when it broke off years back. Been holding ever since.

imashooter2
02-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Show a picture of what is actually broken and you'll get more useful answers on how to fix it...

reloader28
02-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I broke mine 2 weeks ago at the pin holes. I just went to the shop and welded it back together. Then I cut a slice in the handle and tipped it forward more and welded that back up too.

That kicked the handle forward more over top dead center so the handle stays up ALOT better now. Before, if you bumped it, the handle would slam down and greatly upset me.

Hardcast416taylor
02-14-2011, 11:20 AM
I up-graded both of my Lyman 450 sizers a few months back, so I have 2 complete handle assemblys if anyone needs them. A PM is preferred as I check that daily.Robert

steg
02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Don't know if this will help anyone or not, but back in the 70's I pulled the rod out of the plunger ( the part with the O ring) and we silver soldered it in place, been holding ever since............steg

Recluse
02-14-2011, 01:45 PM
HI.

Welcome to The New Lyman corporation. . .

Sounds as though you had a normal, typical experience with them.

:coffee:

Cherokee
02-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't understand how folks break the hanle on a 450, I've been using one forever and never had a problem. Anyway, the upgrade kit with the 4500 handle should work fine. I think "hardcaster" made a nice offer. Pic's would help in suggesting a home fix.

GP100man
02-14-2011, 02:05 PM
I up graded my 2 450 also , very well worth it in my book !!!

Ya get a new ram & toggle system , $$ well spent !!

454PB
02-14-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't understand how folks break the hanle on a 450, I've been using one forever and never had a problem. Anyway, the upgrade kit with the 4500 handle should work fine. I think "hardcaster" made a nice offer. Pic's would help in suggesting a home fix.

Sizing 500 grain linotype 45/70 boolits down .003" will usually get the job done.

I broke one of mine twice and repaired it. The third time I ordered the upgrade kit, and broke that toggle too (it's a weak casting). I made another toggle from a piece of 1/4" strap, and that has been working fine.

I also own a Star sizer and a Herter sizer, which is a clone of the Saeco sizer. The Saeco design is far stronger than either the Lyman or the Star, just not as user friendly.

Von Gruff
02-14-2011, 11:14 PM
When I bought my 450 second hand it had a plastic wine stopper on the die and just fit under the top punch to stop the handle slaming down unintentionally. I have used it ever since and it works a treat.

Von Gruff.

Artful
02-15-2011, 02:52 AM
Darn wine in a box - now I have to find a bottle that's not screw top ;^)

jhalcott
02-15-2011, 03:11 PM
I broke the handle on my lubrisizer and got a new on e years ago. I welded the broken handle and keep it as a spare. Sizing Fat LINOTYPE (or harder) bullets puts a LOT of stress on those weak parts!

Von Gruff
02-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I have Lee push through's to pre-size and seat GC for the harder alloys and then finish size and lube in 450.
In particular I find the 44 cal GC on my .424 lino boolits for my 404 take more than I am comfortable putting in the Lyman 450 so a run through a Lee PT for the initial GC sizing is my way of preserving the linkages on the 450.

Von Gruff.

Hardcast416taylor
02-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Got 1 left from my offer. Everything the up - grade replaces is here, including the ram. Just asking for the postage in round numbers. PM me please if interested.Robert

Huntducks
02-16-2011, 02:11 PM
RCBS would have sent one for free that's why I buy only Green or Blue.

BOOM BOOM
02-18-2011, 11:17 PM
HI,
I ripped the center post out too several years ago,all it took was trying 1 stick of RCBS RIFLE LUBE (which I did not know was a lube that had to be heated), after 3 welding attempts got it back working.
GREAT FUN.:Fire::Fire:

chaos
02-18-2011, 11:24 PM

The linkage on the 4500 is made of POT METAL. Broke mine twice before I made one out of real steel. Lyman sent me replacement parts TWICE for free. Not tough enough to seat gas checks on water dropped WW's on my 44 slugs.

BOOM BOOM
02-19-2011, 11:27 PM
HI,
Well I have sized & lubed 30-60,000 bullets with this one 38,44,7MM's.
You see I like to shoot a little bit, now & then.
I used to shoot just any alloy I could get free, air cooled.
But I shoot hard cast now. Still scrounge Pb ( could not afford to shoot 3,000 + rounds a yr. if I didn't) but try to make consistent alloy.:Fire::Fire:

BUT I AM STILL PISSED AT LYMAN FOR SENDING SOMETHING I DID NOT ORDER, & NOT BEING WILLING TO REFUND MY MONEY.