PDA

View Full Version : Uberti or Pietta 1858 ?

hylander
02-13-2011, 11:38 PM
What is your opinions on theses two
Pro's/Con's:

I just got back from a local Stealer
He had a new Uberti 1858 Blued Model, box says "New Improved Model" or something to that effect.
It is Gorgeous, Fit and finish look great, Lockup is tight and Actoin is Butter smoooth, also front sight is perfectly stright, so barrel is clocked correct.
I noticed that on Uberti's web site that the 1858 is pictured without dovetails,
but this one has the dovetailed front sight and ramrod latch.
Anyway, Price was $329, I may have to go back tomorrow and get it,
Unless someone wants to talk me out of it

docone31
02-13-2011, 11:48 PM
I have had good luck with both Uberti, and Pietta. Both functioned well, and outshot me.
I remember my first shot.
I had heard all the scuttlebutt on how badly they recoiled. I tensed up, grimmaced, pulled the trigger.
It was about the sweetest firing pistol I had ever fired. Accurate, no recoil for me.
Easy clean up.
Go for it.
I noticed, the price was a little high. Is it stainless? That is about right for stainless.

freedom475
02-14-2011, 01:00 AM
I have lots of Rem 58's.. (it boarders on rediculous:mrgreen:)... All I can say is that the Pietta from Cabela's is about perfect and the price is only $199... What makes the cabelas Pietta the best in my book is Cabela's retun policy and the extra cylinders are cheaper. All the extra cylinders I have bought have dropped right in...

You can order as many pistols as you like and then return the ones you don't want. You can even shoot them and if they are not sighted or accurate enough for you, just send it back and try another one. (it is defective in my book if it shoots to the left)

I liked my Uberti and it was a quality gun. My favorite part about it was the dovetailed sight and loading ram latch... But I tell you, $130 is a LOT to spend on a couple dovetails!:roll: The overpriced gun and cylinders pretty much seals the deal. I also believe that the Uberti has a faster twist (not at all sure about this one) But if it does, it should be able to shoot the cartridge conversion better.. But my R&D (6 round) for my uberti did NOT impress me.

My favorite (by far) is the checkered grip/case hardended cabela's Pietta 1858. I believe that this checkered/case hardened is the best Rem 58 you can buy. It is the most comfortable grip on any of my revolvers and I believe that it is held to a higher quality control standard than the blued Pietta...

You will probly be very happy with the Uberti... but if you take it home and shoot it and find that you are not..You'll most likely be SOL... but with the Cabela's Pietta, you just send it back:drinks:
Hope this helps

Hellgate
02-14-2011, 01:29 AM
The uberti fits my hands better than the larger,heavier Piettas. I've owned 3 "pre-improved QC" stainless Remingtons and I got rid of all3 due to poor chamber to bore alignment. My two Milennium(?) Remmies are great. I also like the Euroarms Remingtons which are even lighter framed and gripped that either the Ubertis or Piettas. It is hard to argue with such a generous return policy on the Piettas and they have apparently upped the quality since I bought mine.
$325 sounds steep for a blued gun and just fair for a stainless one.

hylander
02-14-2011, 01:42 AM
No one local has a Pietta for me to check out, everyone is out of stock :cry:
Even Cabelas says they are out of Pietta's for atleast a few weeks.
I looked online for Uberti and the cheapest I could find was only
$15 cheaper than local.

wellfedirishman
02-14-2011, 02:46 AM
Hylander, I have a Pietta Rem 1858, and it is great. It shoots very accurately, is easy to load, and is a ton of fun. I have big hands and it fits me very well.

I think that Springfield (member here) has a very nice one for sale, PM him.

hylander
02-14-2011, 03:12 AM
Hylander, I have a Pietta Rem 1858, and it is great. It shoots very accurately, is easy to load, and is a ton of fun. I have big hands and it fits me very well.

I think that Springfield (member here) has a very nice one for sale, PM him.

I sent him a PM

NickSS
02-14-2011, 07:09 AM
I have a bunch of 58 Remingtons including both 36 and 44 caliber ones. At least five of them are Piattas and I also have aeuroarms and a Uberti milenium and last but not least a Uberti 44 carbine. They all shoot well but I had to do some sight work on several of them. My favorite shooter is a Piatta 44 that I got from Cabella's a long time ago for $99. To date I have put around 5000 rounds through it and the only parts I have replaced are nipples and the one trigger/ locking bolt spring.

excess650
02-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Some years ago I stopped at a local BP shop to look at percussion revolvers. I had pretty much decided that I wanted a Colt 1861 Navy, but after handling various 1851s, 1860s, and a Uberti 1858, I bought the Uberti. It was more $, but fit was superb. I've not shot it as much as I thought I might, but will tell you it shot one holers at 25 yards with roundballs or HB conicals over as much Swiss fffg that could be loaded.

coopieclan
02-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Get it, Uberti is supposed to be slightly better quality.
Stay away from brass frame. Back strap and trigger guard are nice in brass but the steel frame will last longer. Stainless is going to be the best.
The '58 Remington has the top strap, 1851 & '61 Colt is open top. I think my Pietta will last forever.
.44 cal. is fun to shoot. I have not tried the smaller Navy.
The half cock safety system feels save to me.
I never travel with the gun capped.

Merry Christmas

Marvin S
02-14-2011, 07:16 PM
I have the Uberti Melinium matt finish model and got an R&D 45 colt cylinder cheap for it and the thing is super accurate and the dovetail sight is real handy.

hylander
02-16-2011, 01:02 AM
So now I'm leaning toward the Pietta at cabelas on sale for $199
Anyone no how long the sale price is good for ?
Anyone have a cabelas coupon code ?

Tom-ADC
02-16-2011, 01:08 AM
I have four of them Pietta's two in .36 and two in .44 they are great and for $199 I say you need one.
Ask Cabela's about free shipping.

wellfedirishman
02-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Hylander, go for it.

They sell out every now and then and get backordered. I waited for 2 months for get a 5.5" Sheriff model Pietta Remington 1858 from Cabelas. It was worth the wait.

Gunsmoke4570
02-17-2011, 01:29 AM
I have a Pietta I picked up about 18 years ago. It shoots great and is made well. I highly recommend it!

hylander
02-17-2011, 02:21 AM
So I went to a local Stealer that had 2 brand new Traditions Piettas.
Are the ones sold by Traditions seconds ?
I ask because they where not well made at all :???:
One was a 5.5' .36 cal 1858, other was a Brass framed 8" 1858
On both; Actions were stiff and sticky, Wood to metel fit was bad, Ramrod levers were stiff and the end of the plungers were they contact the balls was rough and contacted the Cylinders, Blueing was not great.
Pistol's when cocked, the hammers would not always catch, then when you pulled the trigger they were sluggish to fire.
Maybe these were NOS :?:
Now I'm leaning back to the Uberti

Baron von Trollwhack
02-17-2011, 09:48 AM
I urge you to examine the pistols carefully. Most of my Colt copy C & B Ubertis have been acceptable. Three years ago I purchased a Uberti '58 as a friend had a new .36 that was as nice as a S & W in all respects. My Uberti had cylinder holes in three different sizes, all well below bore size. Well, that was $60 to fix. Now it's a shooter. BvT

hylander
02-17-2011, 11:31 AM
how is ubertis warrentee
My local shop has a real nice new one, but they also have a sign
" No returns or exchanges on BP Revolvers"

wellfedirishman
02-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Hylander, order from Cabelas. If you don't like it, mail it back for a replacement. Cabelas customer service is the best in the business.

The 3x Piettas I have bought from Cabelas have all been excellent. I think that Cabelas probably does their own quality check on the guns, or has higher standards. The guns come in Cabelas-marked boxes.

I don't know anything about the Traditions-branded guns.

Bull Schmitt
02-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Visit the Society of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS (http://www.scorrs.org)) for information on Remington revolvers in general.

hylander
02-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Just ordered a Pietta 1858 from Cabelas [smilie=w:
Shows it is in stock, so I should have it by the end of next week.
Thanks for all the input, I may still have to go buy the Uberti as well :shock:

:lovebooli