PDA

View Full Version : My 1st loading and shooting rifle ammo!

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm sure there is a better way!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnVT/Guns/762X39First3-1.jpg

:mrgreen:

Wayne Smith
02-14-2011, 08:52 AM
I believe that the RCBS case lube is STP oil treatment. Nothing more complicated. If you have lanolin for making lube you can use that.

Calamity Jake
02-14-2011, 09:23 AM
For a first time effert and an AK to boot, that's pretty good shooten.

MtGun44
02-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Good start.

Bill

Dean D.
02-14-2011, 03:38 PM
One difference between straight wall cases and bottleneck cases is that excess lube can cause dimpling or wrinkling when you size the case. You probably knew this but I thought it might be worth mentioning in case a real newbie read this.

Great job! But now you've got me thinking I need to save up for one of Pat's checkmakers!

starnbar
02-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Kid that ain't bad with an ak and you got a good start welcome to necked rifle cases.

Harter66
02-14-2011, 03:55 PM
The new RCBS lube is not STP as it is water based. I have trouble getting it to soak up too. I lube prbably 200 cases now that the pad is soaked up, with about a pea sized drop,which I never get right probably 2-3x that cuase' I forget.

Not bad for a 1st shot. My sks is caverness along side yours. Keep plugging away. There's several good threads with load help down in mil-surps.

Blammer
02-14-2011, 04:22 PM
go buy a can of spray on case lube, the kind that will dry into a dry lubricant.

cheap, effective and works great, no wiping of cases afterwards.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-14-2011, 04:54 PM
it spread out nice, but then when I rolled the case across the pad, it lifted ALL the lube I had spead out.

onondaga
02-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Great start.

There is a lot of different case lubes and methods. I load X39s for a single shot Remington Spartan with cast bullets.

My case lube is the same for everything and very simple. I use Mink Oil paste wax for boots and shoes, it is lanolin based. I put a bit on my palm and rub it thoroughly into both hands, then I put 10 casings on one hand and rub back and forth in prayer position. This goes very quickly at 10 at a time. You just need the littlest bit for a case lube prior to sizing. If your hands are just a little shiny, there is enough on them to lube 10 cases at once.

Accurate 2230 works excellent with cast and X39 with all bullet weights and is on sale at Midway for $12.99 per lb. till the end of February. I just got 10 pounds for $164.90 with drop ship and Hazmat total.

Gary

Bullshop
02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
The Bullsize is not intended to be used on a pad. It is used in the same way as Imperial sizing die wax. Its very simple to use. Just rub your finger on top of the lube a bit in a circular motion until you have a film on your finger. Then rub your thumb and finger together to get a film on both. Remember now not gobs but just a thin film. A little goes a long way just like Bullplate.
Now with that film on your fingers just a single roll of the cartridge case between fingers, just enough to leave a finger print and its ready to size.
This will do about 10 30/06 size cases before you will need to re-touch the lube tub.
You do not need lube covering the entire case head to mouth. The only coverage needed is from the head to about mid way up the case and as I said just enough to see a finger print.
After a couple boxes of ammo re-loaded you will get the feel and see how fast this method is. I got off the pad 30 years ago and will never go back to it.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks Dan!

I tried it
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnVT/Guns/SR475919.jpg

azcruiser
02-24-2011, 01:02 AM
I like the Dillon spray lube or the Rcbs a bottle goes along ways and I like the fact i't a pump spray bottle no gas . Think it's mostly lanolin and alcohol mix

Throckmorton
02-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I"ve never been able to get my pad to absorb lube,it just kind of smears around on the top .gave up on it.
Now,I have a tub of Hornady lube,and use my fingers,doesn't take that long and it will last a long long time.same way Imperial is used,and Imperial seems to be everyon'es goto lube.
You've probaby noticed that rifle reloading is more a labor of love than pistol...way more invlolved.

Jal5
02-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Great start.

There is a lot of different case lubes and methods. I load X39s for a single shot Remington Spartan with cast bullets.

My case lube is the same for everything and very simple. I use Mink Oil paste wax for boots and shoes, it is lanolin based. I put a bit on my palm and rub it thoroughly into both hands, then I put 10 casings on one hand and rub back and forth in prayer position. This goes very quickly at 10 at a time. You just need the littlest bit for a case lube prior to sizing. If your hands are just a little shiny, there is enough on them to lube 10 cases at once.

Gary

I do the same thing Gary and that can lasts a looong time too :)