PDA

View Full Version : need container ideas for blackpowder

passgas55
02-13-2011, 09:19 PM
I bought 5# bulk Blackpowder and need a way to store it in 1/2 to 1# containers. Give me some ideas on what would make good storage containers. I prefer to buy new, clean containeras but if you have a good idea go ahead I am listing. Thanks

schutzen
02-13-2011, 09:43 PM
I keep my smokeless powder containers and repackage bulk black in them.

DIRT Farmer
02-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Definatly use powder cans as they are designed to not restrict the powder if every thing goes South, also to identify for future use. I burn 25 to thirty pounds in a good year so I never have a shortage of cans.

waksupi
02-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Any hardware store that sells paint will have new paint cans cheap.

boommer
02-14-2011, 01:04 AM
why not leave it in bulk,5# is not a lot powder.

Dale53
02-14-2011, 02:20 AM
I was able to get one pint and one quart NEW, clean, cans at the local paint store. Price was reasonable, also.

If you lived in SW Ohio I would give you some empty black powder cans.

Dale53

41magfan
02-14-2011, 04:55 AM
How bout the cheap food storage containers you can get at the grocery store. They come in many sizes and they stack easy.

Linstrum
02-14-2011, 05:08 AM
I use 17 ounce Coke PETE bottles and pint rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide bottles for 1 pound powder storage. I watch for sales and get the bottles for a buck, or so. Being plastic they won't build up a lot of pressure if the powder ignites because the plastic melts.

Hydrogen peroxide bottles are the best because they block light, which decomposes and shortens shelf life of smokeless powder. Black powder is not appreciably affected by light because it is basically all mineral-based without light sensitive organic molecules that fall apart when exposed to light.

rl943

passgas55
02-14-2011, 07:30 AM
I thought BP should not be stored in plastic containers. I did look at the paint cans but I was kind of leery about having to tap the tops on to seal.

winelover
02-14-2011, 08:26 AM
I repurpose the opaque bulk fiber supplement containers (Citrucel, Metamusil & Benefiber) for powder storage. I prefer the wide mouth on these types of containers to keep spillage at a minimum.
I also find them useful for brass and boolet storage. I write on them with a China marker.

Winelover

Baron von Trollwhack
02-14-2011, 09:11 AM
HECK ! They SELL & SHIP in plastic containers, DON'T they? BvT

montana_charlie
02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
HECK ! They SELL & SHIP in plastic containers, DON'T they? BvT
Yes...plastic containers that are immune to static...I forget the correct term.

oneokie
02-14-2011, 10:19 AM
I thought BP should not be stored in plastic containers. I did look at the paint cans but I was kind of leery about having to tap the tops on to seal.

Most all Sherwin-Williams™ paint stores carry new empty pint and quart metal cans with screw-on tops.

Tom-ADC
02-14-2011, 10:47 AM

The Swiss powder I have came in a plastic 1lb container & the Goex came in 1lb metal cans with a screw on lid. Where you at maybe somebody close has empty powder cans?

cajun shooter
02-14-2011, 12:34 PM
What did you buy it in to get it home? If you pay the shipping I will send you some BP cans.

passgas55
02-14-2011, 03:18 PM
What did you buy it in to get it home? If you pay the shipping I will send you some BP cans.

Cardboard. Thanks for the offer on the cans. i plan on going to a paint store for the screw top cans.

Ilwil
02-14-2011, 08:03 PM
After you work out what type of containers you will use, consider storing them in an insulated cooler. It will protect the powder from highs and lows of temperature, as well as hard knocks. If you have an catastrophic fire (god forbid) the cooler at least won't become a warhead of its own.

giz189
02-15-2011, 01:02 AM
Just try not to use styrofoam cooler. Don't ask how I know BP and styrofoam don't get along.

cajun shooter
02-16-2011, 01:04 PM
I have never had any problem storing Bp in my shop which in Louisiana reaches some high temps. I store it in a metal lock box that sits on the floor. Just don't store it high on a shelf in a garage where it will be exposed to the higher temps. There are several reports of BP being found that was hundreds of years old and still worked the same as the day it was made. I have never seen any reports where it had to be kept in cooler.

winchester94
02-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Use some Mason (canning) jars. Lids are designed to be airtight and can be written on. If yer worried about light exposer, paint it with spray paint. If you don't paint it, you can see how much powder is left. Just don't hang around if there's a fire.