PDA

View Full Version : Opening up/rethreading dieholes in a turret toolhead

Buckshot
11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
http://www.fototime.com/63A351DE0EBB0B9/standard.jpg

Centering the diehole on a faceplate.

http://www.fototime.com/E02C7E1C390E32C/standard.jpg

Clamped in position and a counterweight bolted in place.

http://www.fototime.com/82E4FAD8CC35101/standard.jpg

Beginning to bore to size. In this case for a 1-1/4-18 thread.

http://www.fototime.com/07A1C1C51FF349D/standard.jpg

Threading. I had made this boring bar as one of the first projects when I got my lathe. It's designed to hold 1/4" round bits. In this case a bit ground to cut threads. Since I'm cutting internal threads, and due to the junk hanging on the faceplate (clamps, bolts, counterweight) I'm cutting away from the faceplate. With proper counterweighting and threading away, the spindle may be run at a comparatively high rpm for threading.

The bar is extended just enough to clear the inside of the hole so the compound can be advanced before the halfnuts are engaged. The compound is rotated around to the backside so the bit may be advanced into the work. The spindle is run in reverse and the leadscrew in the forward position so it also runs in reverse.

Since the workpiece is cast iron, the threading is done dry. I really dislike working with cast iron as it's a pure mess. The 18 pitch threads in a hole this size are pretty fine, but the high quality cast iron in this toolhead allowed them to point up fairly well and it turned out good. Took longer to clean the lathe up afterwards of all the cast iron dust then it did to do the work :-)

................Buckshot

redneckdan
11-15-2006, 06:05 PM
i too hate cast iron. I had to do some tensile test bars from engine blocks. As such, I had to use an adjustable boring head in a mill in order to make a round section, then chuck it up in the lathe to turn the profile.

KCSO
11-15-2006, 11:11 PM
What kind of die uses 1 1/4 18? Is this for a shotgun die? Good set up and I too prefer reverse threading.

Buckshot
11-16-2006, 02:13 AM
What kind of die uses 1 1/4 18? Is this for a shotgun die? Good set up and I too prefer reverse threading.

........Yup, it was for omgb. I think it was a older dieset but the die he sent me didn't look as if it'd been used at all.

............Buckshot

KCSO
11-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Buckshot
There is a fellow on Gun Broker selling new made turrets for the Tru line Jr in 7/8 14. I liked the idea so much I am going to make one for my Tru Line. I checked my old Herter's and that is the same thread they used for shotgun dies.

scrapcan
11-17-2006, 11:46 AM
KCSO,

I f you get one made and feel like you want to try another give me a holler. I thought the other guys work looked pretty good, but have no idea who he is and would rather support the efforts of those who play in this sand box.

I would like to try a set of modern dies for neck sizing on teh truline jr. Also may make a great press for pistol calibers that are loaded in lower volume than the 550b is used for.

Jeremy

omgb
11-17-2006, 10:55 PM
That die was a NIB Lachmiller 12 GA die. I also have the spring loaded wad seater die with the built in wad pressure measuring scale. The dies were absolutely pristine. Well, maybe not. I think the decapping pin was bent slightly off center. The work on the T7 tool head is superp, abso-freeken-lutely perfect.

Later I had Rick open the inside of the die. For some crazy reason the interior walls of the sizing die were smaller than the sizing ring at the die mouth. When I ran brass hulls through it it sized a shoulder into them ...go figure. Any way, all is well now. Here's the sad part. I could have had Hornady ban out a sizing die for me for about $120. I could then have used my Rockchucker press simply by removing the bushing. Given that I had to pay $60 for the dies et, $20 plus shipping two ways for the work on the tool head and another $20 plus shipping two ways to open the die, the Hornady deal might have been cheaper. However, I wouldn't have that slick seater die. Nor would I have an excellent custom machining job. Regardless of the dies or hassle, the nice machine work is such a pleasure to own I really couldn't care less about the cost.

I'm seriously thinking about building a slug gun using a NEF 12 GA as a base. I'd use their heavy rifled 12 GA barrel, brass cases, an NEI .72 cal Paradox mould and get a modified seating stem for the die set. I'm thinking that a 720 grain slug, 120 grns of 2F and a good pistol scope ought to be a great deer comination for 100 yards and under.

Buckshot
11-18-2006, 05:12 AM
"............I'm seriously thinking about building a slug gun using a NEF 12 GA as a base. I'd use their heavy rifled 12 GA barrel, brass cases, an NEI .72 cal Paradox mould and get a modified seating stem for the die set. I'm thinking that a 720 grain slug, 120 grns of 2F and a good pistol scope ought to be a great deer comination for 100 yards and under."

................Crap! You're gonna hurt yourself, or shake something important loose :-). However I did hear that the water buffalos were getting a mite thick up around Saugus.

.................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
11-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Call that rig "Toyota Hunter". One-shot/DRT stops on F-250's, I'd bet.

It's about 12,000 years too late, it would have made a right fine mastodon harvester.