PDA

View Full Version : 44 oal load question

Gun Nut
02-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Hi yall, I am looking for 44 mag data loaded OVER ALL LENGHT DIMENSION for a rcbs 44-240 gc,swc boolit sized .430 sitting on top of 20 grains of H110 and cci mag primers,mixed headstamp brass. In all my books they show all kinds of boolits but the one I have. Any thoughts or suggestions??:veryconfu

MtGun44
02-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Not particularly critical from a pressure standpoint unless you are right near the max load,
which 20 gr H110 is not for a 240 cast. If you have some particular gun in mind that
needs non-standard LOA, OK - do it, but keep in mind as you reduce the combustion
chamber size (move the base of the boolit down into the case more) you will increase
pressures, so back off more and work up to the same max velocity - which will be about the
same pressure. Otherwise, crimp in the crimp groove provided in the boolit. LOA is
used for multiple things. One - max magazine/feed tray length can set max allowable LOA for a
particular gun. Two - max cylinder length can limit LOA for certain revolvers, Three - for
pressure consistency comparison or for maximum safe/workable chambering in a particular
chamber + throat combination.

Don't get too wrapped around the axle on exact boolit match for data. If you have jacketed
data for the same or very close weight bullet, you will be fine with a cast boolit of the same
weight (or close) unless the design is very different and will reduce the combustion chamber
volume a bunch over the original bullet design used for the book data.

Bill

knifemaker
02-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Gunnut;
I checked about 7 reloading manuels and only one showed that RCBS 240 gr. cast boolit. It also did not give any OAL for that boolit. I would just load to the crimp groove and it should not be any problem in any revolver I can think of.

I also do not think it will be too long to use in a Marlin rifle. The RCBS 255 gr. Keith boolit loads to a OAL of 1.710 and can sometimes be too long for some Marlin rifles, but your RCBS 240 gr. should be just fine in OAL for both revolver and Marlin rifle.:cbpour:

Gun Nut
02-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Ok, thanks guy for the advice :popcorn:

lwknight
02-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Just be sure to not compress the powder and you will be OK.

MtGun44
02-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Nothing wrong with compressing powder.

Bill

reloader28
02-14-2011, 11:08 AM
My RCBS 240gr gas check boolit has a crimp groove. I always go by that. I must be doing it wrong.:razz:

fredj338
02-14-2011, 03:25 PM
My RCBS 240gr gas check boolit has a crimp groove. I always go by that. I must be doing it wrong.:razz:

Yeah, I have never even kept notes on OAL for revolvers, just load to the crimp groove & go. I only run top end loads w/ slow powders, so powder compression is no big deal.

lwknight
02-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Nothing wrong with compressing powder.

Bill
I have a busted Ruger SBH cylinder that would beg to differ.
However that was 2400 and not H110 that busted it.
Thats where I learned to wear my glasses when setting the scale weights.