PDA

View Full Version : 80 grain 257 tsx barnes?

Lloyd Smale
02-13-2011, 07:29 AM
anyone shot any game with this bullet. Im not a premium bullet fan but have a new 257 roberts and like the idea of 3400 fps out of the roberts for long range crop damage shooting. Ive had poor results with the old original copper bullets. the deer i shot with them tended to run off and die. They just didnt create a big enough wound channel. Im looking for more of a bang flop load. We shoot alot of deer every year and quick kills are more important then a bit of meat damage.

southpaw
02-13-2011, 08:08 AM
My buddy shot a coyote with one out of his 338wm. The exit hole was very impressive. Not sure how they will perform at long range (lower velocity) but the few that I have heard about from some of the guys that I hunt with at moderate range they work pretty good.

Barnes has a free dvd they will send you. All you have to do is go to their site and request one. The test they do in the ballistic gellatin was very impressive.

Jerry Jr.

Lloyd Smale
02-13-2011, 09:34 AM
looking at a ballistic calculator and they sure would be flat shooting out of the weatherby. 3850fps shows sighted in at 2.7 inch at a 100 a 7.5 inch drop at 400 yards!!

btroj
02-13-2011, 11:19 AM
I think of the TSX as more of a super penetrator than a bang, flop bullet. I used the in Africa in my 270 win. They penetrated far better than any standard bullet could have hoped for. No DRT kills though. Got some good exit holes but animal like impala still went 20 to 50 yards before realizing how dead they were.
They also like velocity to open quickly. For long range I don't know how well they would meet your needs. You have a common problem- need for a bullet that works in a very specific set of conditions. Sadly, I don't know if it exists.

Brad

Dark Helmet
02-15-2011, 09:42 PM
How about the 100 gr. Speer #1408, it has the B.C. of a NBT and is supposed to be a little "soft". Should be able to get them to 3200-3300 fps. Reasonably priced, too!

Tazman1602
02-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Man Lloyd for years I've used the original Barnes 95 grain X bullet out of my .243's. We're talking bang-flop dead and massive damage on white tails.

All three 8-points and a 9 on my walls fell to this bullet from either my wifes gun or mine.

..............then they quit making them and went to the 85 grain TSX bullet. I called Barnes and they *claim* the 85 TSX packs as much of a punch as the old original 95 grain X but it just seems too light for me to shoot white tail with.

Good thing I bought 1,000 of them when I had the money.......

FWIW I was shoving them out the barrel at right around 3K fps.

Art