PDA

View Full Version : Will Bac work as flux?

340six
02-13-2011, 03:59 AM
I have some bullets I casted and sized/lubed with Lars BAC and will just melt them down.
But did not want to mess up the casting pot if it would not work well as a flux would.
If so I will melt them flux and make into ingots. But would be easier to just toss in hand fulls in the casting furnace let the lube burn off as flux

stubshaft
02-13-2011, 04:26 AM
BAC will not mess up your pot if you were to melt down the boolits. I makes excellent flux.

cajun shooter
02-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Don't know what you use for your regular flux but the box of wood mixed shavings (not sawdust) sold by Pat Marlin is the best I have ever used. He packs his boxes so tight that you will have flux for a few years. They have such a nice smell that I put a handful on top of my alloy while casting and it makes the shop smell good.

btroj
02-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Pretty much anything that burn ins will work as a flux. I frequently put lubed bullets into my pot. Messy, stinky, and a pain, but they melt. I still flux with some saw dust.

MtGun44
02-13-2011, 03:18 PM
IME bullet lubes make a smoky and stinky mess, but work as a flux. If you cast out of
doors, OK - I cast in the basement - so keeping smells down is important, so I no longer
use bullet lube. DRY wooden dowel works fine, some minor wood smoke smell.

Bill