PDA

View Full Version : Best alloy for Hunting?

ohiochuck
02-13-2011, 12:34 AM
What alloy maybe best for cast 32-20 & 25-20 boolits? will use for hunting squirrels (tree) and varmints.

Johnch
02-13-2011, 01:55 AM
I would start with 50/50 WW and pure and water drop the boolits

It makes a boolit that will expand , but is tough enough to take rifle velosity if you use a decent lube

John

onondaga
02-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Little critters aren't fussy, but your rifle will be fussy about matching the alloy to load pressure and velocity and bullet lube to get accuracy good enough for little critters.

The easiest choice is to use the alloys recommended in the Lyman cast bullet Handbook with the loads they list.

I use Wheelweight alloy with plain base bullets to about 1200 fps, with gas checked WW bullets I go up to 2000 fps. For faster and higher pressure loads I use 7 parts WW to 3 or 4 parts Linotype with gas checked bullets to factory velocities.

If you are just starting out remember pure lead is very soft and best for patched round balls in muzzle loaders and the slowest low pressure loads, less than 800--900 fps in center fire ammunition..

Good bullet fit .002 Larger than slugged bore groove to groove diameter is more important than alloy for accuracy. Bullet size and adequate lube that will leave a star on the muzzle after 5-10 shots so you can see that it is working will keep your bore from leading.

Select your bullet molds, bullet sizers and lube carefully. I tumble lube every thing and have been happy with the simplicity and good results. Tumble lube 2 times for rifle bullets per Lee instructions.

Gary

pmer
02-13-2011, 02:26 AM
[QUOTE=onondaga;1159978]

I use Wheelweight alloy with plain base bullets to about 1200 fps, with gas checked WW bullets I go up to 2000 fps. For faster and higher pressure loads I use 7 parts WW to 3 or 4 parts Linotype with gas checked bullets to factory velocities.

What is the best way to if your pushing an alloy too fast? Leading towards the muzzle?

Phil

Von Gruff
02-13-2011, 02:42 AM
I just sorted out a 50/50 ww/Pb load that runs at 1900fps and is very accurate with a 1/2 in 55yd groups with no leading. This is in a 404 Jeffery although I have a similar load and speed in my 7x57 so 1900fps is doable with air cooled 50/50.
I have a longer range load for the 7x57 with a lino shanked boolit with a 50/50 soft nose that runs at over 2400fps and again gives good accuracy without leading. My lube is simple 2/3 beeswax to 1/3 vaseline.

Lots of way to skin this cat.

If you are not shooting at any great distance remember that a 22 LR has a soft lead boolit at up to 12-1300fps.

Von Gruff.

excess650
02-13-2011, 07:26 AM
You'll be able to get by with a softer alloy in the 32-20 because it isn't as fast and has a relatively slow rifling twist.

NSP64
02-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Phil, leading near the muzzle is a lube failure. I had this problem using LLA in my .308 win loads. I swiched to speed green and get better accuracy and a nice lube star on the muzzle face. Plus no leading.

Mavrick
02-13-2011, 08:26 AM
I like to use my .25/35 Improved w/22" barrel as a squirrel-gun for food with a Lyman 257420 cast from linotype. I think of it as a loud .22WRM. I believe that at .25, it's the same as an already-expanded .22rf. If I keep the velocities around 1200-1500fps it won't expand, so it'll knock the little suckers out of the tree without a lot of damage. You can eat "right up to the hole." For varmint-type squirrels, I run 'em up to 2000+fps, and "git 'er done."
I do basically the same thing with the same boolit in my .256 Magnum with a 21" barrel. It's sort of a "modern" .25/20.
Have fun,
Gene

catboat
02-13-2011, 10:42 AM
For small game (squirrels) an alloy may not be that important for performance. A head shot is a head shot with 100:1 lead or 100% lino.

It would be more important for accuracy than expansion-in my opinion.

bigdog454
02-13-2011, 10:59 AM
My favorite squirrel load for the 25-20 is 2.5 gr Unique, and a cast 257420. quiet and very accurate.

white eagle
02-13-2011, 11:03 AM
small game I would be more concerned with pin point accuracy
than trying to add the expansion factor in
If it were big game I would be more inclined to include that into the equation

MtGun44
02-13-2011, 03:42 PM
How high is up?

Where does the wind go?

Only YOU can answer this question to your satisfaction. Hard will not expand or may
shatter, soft may expand too much or not penetrate. Either may not suit your gun or
powder. Some want no deformation, others want the front half to blow off, others want
mild expansion, others want flat as a silver dollar.

Bill

onondaga
02-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Phil, If you are leading toward the muzzle, yes, that is lube failure. If you are using LLA or 45:45:10 and tumble lubing apply 2 coats after checking/sizing if you had only been using one coat. Lee recommends 2 coats for rifles as a standard. Some loads I use 3 coats to eliminate leading. If you are pressure lubing or cake cutting it is time to try a new lube if your muzzle is leading.

It could also be bullet fit. if the bullet is too small, gas jetting can blow the lube off before the bullet gets to the muzzle.

For many reduced loads with 80% or less capacity I use a ballistic filler that acts as a gas check and eliminates jetting. BPI original is the product I use . You have to add the weight of the filler to the weight of the bullet for a complete projectile weight in your calculations for load safety, but the product works well as a gas check and an ignition enhancer in low capacity loads with position sensitive powders and cast bullets. Some users of BPI Original also claim a bore cleaning effect with the use of the product, that I haven't noticed because I routinely Hoppe's Bore Snake every 5 shots anyway.

Gary