PDA

View Full Version : the projectile in the powder??

charger 1
11-15-2006, 09:18 AM
If a fella has a cartridge that he has not yet ordered the mold for is there a way to use cast that go deeper than the neck? I'm doing a 450 alaskan(original not ackley'd) so the neck is only .350" long. I would guess that a fella doesnt want lube in the burn area,so I was wondering could a fella get away without having the lube groove right next to the gas check? Have a larger groove up a little further instead so he can seat deeper?...I guess the question is would the lube in the bore compensate for that bottom .150" or so not being lubed,or would it spell fouling disaster?*note* I use lyman super moly and precoat the bore before I start shooting no matter what the design...So this is my idea. Flier or fouler?
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Chargerdive/HPIM0852.jpg

Newtire
11-15-2006, 09:31 AM
If a fella has a cartridge that he has not yet ordered the mold for is there a way to use cast that go deeper than the neck? or would it spell fouling disaster?*note* I use lyman super moly and precoat the bore before I start shooting no matter what the design

Hi Charger,
I don't shoot a 450 Alaskan but have seated cast boolits below the neck with my .30-30 Ackley and wiped the lube off of that section. No apparent leading. I have started to coat the bore with a wipe of LLA when I put it away and wipe it dry just before going out shooting. I don't get leading and this is with full power loads. I would be careful to keep the chamber wiped clean and dry as that's the area that the case has to grip the chamber walls and wouldn't want it to have lube in there. No leading though..

BruceB
11-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Gents;

This business of seating boolit bases below the neck leads me to mention that here is a minor side benefit of using the dacron fill I like so much.

I don't even concern myself very much with lube on the bases when using dacron, because the fluff segregates the bullet from the powder charge. I still try to minimize the goop on the bases, but a little bit doesn't hurt a thing when using the dacron. Lube grooves that would otherwise be in contact with the powder are also protected, of course.

One more good reason for using dacron as often as I do!

charger 1
11-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi Charger,
I don't shoot a 450 Alaskan but have seated cast boolits below the neck with my .30-30 Ackley and wiped the lube off of that section. No apparent leading. I have started to coat the bore with a wipe of LLA when I put it away and wipe it dry just before going out shooting. I don't get leading and this is with full power loads. I would be careful to keep the chamber wiped clean and dry as that's the area that the case has to grip the chamber walls and wouldn't want it to have lube in there. No leading though..

So your saying your just not putting lube in bottom groove if I understand right??? What kind of speed,weight,bullet hardness??I'm looking at moving 400 grains out at 2300+

Ricochet
11-15-2006, 02:14 PM
I've been loading 8mm Maximum boolits, dry lubed, in 8x57 with the boolit base at the bottom of the shoulder. They won't feed in any of my Mausers if I don't seat them that deeply. Haven't had any problems. The .30 HBC boolits I've just started using in .300 Weatherby are likewise seated well below the case neck. I've never worried about jacketed bullets being below the neck. As long as there's no greasy lube to contaminate the powder with oil and any gas checks are well crimped on, I don't see why there should be any problem with cast boolits, either.

As for greasy lubes and oil contamination of powder, that will happen with the boolit seated entirely in the neck. Learned from experience.

charger 1
11-16-2006, 04:30 AM
Veral Smith was saying that it depends load by load,powder by powder. In some instances you could get whats called riveting of that section which could effect accuracy. His opinion was to treat every situation on its own merit. Try it and if it doesnt perform accoratly then go to a ball powder with a compressed load with shot buffer. This will supposedly stop the riveting

andrew375
11-16-2006, 05:04 AM
Do what I did, test it to see if it is actually a problem. If it isn't don't worry about it.

I did actually test this with several cartridge - bullet - powder combinations and I no longer give the "problem" any thought. For the record, to give the lubed bullet a non stick surface I rolled it in graphite. But if it had any effect, positive or negative, I couldn't detect it.

Newtire
11-16-2006, 09:48 AM
What kind of speed,weight,bullet hardness??I'm looking at moving 400 grains out at 2300+

I am using a 175 gr (with lube & everything) cast boolit with 35.5 gr of either IMR4064 or AA2520 which supposedly gives around 2300+ velocity in a 20" barrel. Water dropped Wheelweights @ around 22BHN. (my results are better than you would think looking at the Richard Lee formula). I think that a .45-70 is going to show different results than this .30-30 Ackley so I would wait until I have the gun to load up a whole mess of anything.

Ricochet
11-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I think that idea of dry lubing with graphite, moly or such is an interesting one. I'm sure it's been tried before, but I haven't seen it mentioned.

I don't understand why "riveting" would be a problem with the base in the powder. The gas pressure's applied all around the unsupported surface of the base, not just on the rear end. Someone mentioned on here a while back seeing the imprints of powder grains in the sides of boolits that had been seated down into the powder.