PDA

View Full Version : 480 ruger bullets

M4bushy
02-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Hello all,

I have been reloading for quite a while but I am a complete newbe to casting. After picking up a big bore revolver I can see I need to get into making my own bullets. I'm trying to find all the info I can on casting before I jump in and buy the gear.
I'm still on the fence weather to get gas checked bullets or dive right in with swaging 45 acp brass. If any of you guys load 480 ruger please feel free to chime in!

Thanks,
Ron

44man
02-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Hello all,

I have been reloading for quite a while but I am a complete newbe to casting. After picking up a big bore revolver I can see I need to get into making my own bullets. I'm trying to find all the info I can on casting before I jump in and buy the gear.
I'm still on the fence weather to get gas checked bullets or dive right in with swaging 45 acp brass. If any of you guys load 480 ruger please feel free to chime in!

Thanks,
Ron
Get the Lee C476-400-RF mold, a Lee 20# pot, a Lyman ladle and have Lee make you a .476 push through size die.
Whip up some Felix lube, get some wheel weights and go to town.

M4bushy
02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Get the Lee C476-400-RF mold, a Lee 20# pot, a Lyman ladle and have Lee make you a .476 push through size die.
Whip up some Felix lube, get some wheel weights and go to town.

Thanks for the reply, that mold isn't gas checked. Can you push that bullet to 1000 fps without leading problems? I see rcbs makes a .476 sizing die but I've found conflicting data that it will fit in a Lyman sizer. When you say push through die, are you talking one that can be used on a single stage press? So Much to learn.......

white eagle
02-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Lee has sizing dies that are designed to push the boolit thru base first on a single stage press
you can adjust the alloy for p/b boolit designs
leading has a bunch to do with fit and alloy composition and lets not forget powder choice

44man
02-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the reply, that mold isn't gas checked. Can you push that bullet to 1000 fps without leading problems? I see rcbs makes a .476 sizing die but I've found conflicting data that it will fit in a Lyman sizer. When you say push through die, are you talking one that can be used on a single stage press? So Much to learn.......
If you have a Lyman lube sizer, the RCBS die will fit. I use the push through because I put the lube on boolits by hand and just use the push through to remove excess lube, seems to keep boolits more round. But the Lyman or RCBS lube sizer will work fine.
I shoot a PB at 1632 fps in my 45-70 BFR all the time and at 1330 in the .475 and .500 JRH. I have taken a PB to 55,000 psi in a .454 with no problem. I just water drop WW boolits and let them age a week or so to harden before loading. I have gone over 1800 fps with a PB.
Yes, the push through just fits in a press, very easy to use.
Felix lube is soft and easy to smear in the grooves with my fingers but you can pan lube with about any lube and then run through the Lee size die.
I don't like Alox but some here love it so only your testing is important.
The only time you need a gas check is with softer lead or in a rifle with a lot of pressure.
Many of my boolits that I run through a .476 die will expand to .478 in time, still chamber fine and shoot very good.
It is not rocket science and my best suggestion to you is to relax, cast your boolits and find what shoots best for you.
I get groups under 1" at 100 yards with most of my boolits on a good day and will not use any load over 1" at 50 yards.
Cast is just wonderful and you will love the .480 more and more and shoot it more.
You might just find a cast boolit will do better then what you buy.

Dannix
02-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Also, even if somehow a GC is needed, you can probably get PatMarlin to make you up a plain base gas check die. Yup, GCing plain bases.

If you're not ready to try out making your own lube, you can always go the http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/ route too.

Tom W.
02-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I used a pb RCBS single cavity 400 gr SWC mold for mine. It took a lot of time and almost an ounce of lead for each boolit, but it shot great with no leading. I used White Lable Lube's carnauba red...and stout doses of H110....

M4bushy
02-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks again for all the info so far. Next newbie question, lee makes a 325 gr mold that is gas check ready, can those bullets be shot without a gas check? I really don't want to use 400 grains of lead just for range use.

Thanks,
Ron

44man
02-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks again for all the info so far. Next newbie question, lee makes a 325 gr mold that is gas check ready, can those bullets be shot without a gas check? I really don't want to use 400 grains of lead just for range use.

Thanks,
Ron
Yes, it will work fine but only your gun will say if the check is needed. This is where you need to do your own testing, try it both ways.

warf73
02-14-2011, 02:09 AM
I'm using the Lee 400gr mold(sized .476) with air cooled WW's, with a dose of 296 pushing the slug 1200fps + without leading.

Lloyd Smale
02-14-2011, 07:13 AM
both the lee and the rcbs are great bullets. Both have shot real well for me in a number of guns. Cast them out of #2 and youll have no leading problems if you have a good gun. There inexpensive molds and a good way to start casting for the 480 and if you feel the need later to try a gas checked bullet you can allways buy one. Ive never owned a 480. Ive had a number of 475s and dont remember ever having a leading problem with any of them. Probably because there all custom guns and were put together right.

M4bushy
02-14-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm using the Lee 400gr mold(sized .476) with air cooled WW's, with a dose of 296 pushing the slug 1200fps + without leading.

That's great news, I think I'll get both lee molds. They are cheap enough with my discount at midway.

warf73
02-15-2011, 05:06 AM
That's great news, I think I'll get both lee molds. They are cheap enough with my discount at midway.

Get 2 of the 400grs. once you get going the mold gets hot fast even when casting at 725*. I get both molds up to temp then cast 6 rounds with one then lay it down and pick up the 2nd one then repeat process. The key is to leave the mold filled with the spur uncut, until it’s that molds turn again. That way the mold doesn’t loose its perfect casting temp. Took me few tries to get it right but that’s the key to my success. Ow don’t forget the bull plate for the molds if you don’t have any makes life allot easer.

Hope this helps ya out.

Warf

M4bushy
02-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Get 2 of the 400grs. once you get going the mold gets hot fast even when casting at 725*. I get both molds up to temp then cast 6 rounds with one then lay it down and pick up the 2nd one then repeat process. The key is to leave the mold filled with the spur uncut, until it’s that molds turn again. That way the mold doesn’t loose its perfect casting temp. Took me few tries to get it right but that’s the key to my success. Ow don’t forget the bull plate for the molds if you don’t have any makes life allot easer.

Hope this helps ya out.

Warf

Ok here is a newbie question, what is a bull plate?

randyrat
02-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Bull Shop Sprue Plate Lube...Order from Bull shop right here on this site.
Do a little search for this and read up on it. Keeps the sprue plate screw from Galling. prevents the top of your molds smears of lead. Lubricates contact points on your molds, speeds up casting. Very low price, high return, last long time.
But, the bottle in comes in is made to tip over.

M4bushy
02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Bull Shop Sprue Plate Lube...Order from Bull shop right here on this site.
Do a little search for this and read up on it. Keeps the sprue plate screw from Galling. prevents the top of your molds smears of lead. Lubricates contact points on your molds, speeds up casting. Very low price, high return, last long time.
But, the bottle in comes in is made to tip over.

So much to learn,
thanks.

Moonie
02-15-2011, 12:40 PM
So much to learn,
thanks.

Thankfully it is all at your fingertips here, and the guys here love to teach and help.

M4bushy
02-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Thankfully it is all at your fingertips here, and the guys here love to teach and help.

Yes I see that, a lot less sarcasm than another shooting forum I belong to. Everyone has been so helpful so far. I'm now waiting for the new Lyman cast bullet handbook to arive.

fuji
03-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the question and the answers!! I just picked up a SRH in 480 ruger. Ordered 250 bullets from Leadhead at $80.00. Hence learning everything I can about casting. You guys answered a lot of my questions.

Thank you very very much,

Joe

PS the Leadheads shot great but I like this guy and it will get $ if I don't cast.

Moonie
03-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Welcome aboard fuji, never assume it won't get $ if you DO cast lol. It is an addiction, gotta have more molds, always, in 2 group buys right now and really shouldn't spend the money, but I gotta have them...

Steel185
03-03-2011, 10:00 PM
The best part about casting is when you find yourself looking at every shinny metal and determining its composition how many boolits you can get out of it. My wife asked when I became so interested in antique candlestick holders, and random decorations; when we go to garage sales. I just smile and say anything made of tin, lead, pewter or combination is great for boolits. She rolls her eyes, and says as if the 2 tons of lead we already have in the garage isn't enough. There never is enough.

Moonie
03-04-2011, 11:11 AM
"enough" is for quitters and those without enough commitment. I'm with Golum, gotta have my precious...

M4bushy
03-12-2011, 05:06 PM

I got to shoot my first cast bullets in the 480 today. They shot awesome. I did load them as mouse farts though. With 3.5gr of Trailboss they were just over 600fps.
I used the Lyman orange lube that came with my sizer. It seemed to work ok. What is the best lube for a 400gr pb bullet once I start working up the load with a more snappy powder?

warf73
03-13-2011, 01:45 AM
I got to shoot my first cast bullets in the 480 today. They shot awesome. I did load them as mouse farts though. With 3.5gr of Trailboss they were just over 600fps.
I used the Lyman orange lube that came with my sizer. It seemed to work ok. What is the best lube for a 400gr pb bullet once I start working up the load with a more snappy powder?

Your current lube should work just fine its more about the fit than the lube. How well did those trailboss loads shoot for you?

M4bushy
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Your current lube should work just fine its more about the fit than the lube. How well did those trailboss loads shoot for you?

I only ran 8 of ea through the crony. I'm new to this big bore revolver loading. I was a little nervous cramming a bullet so far into a case. Man those 400 gr .475 dia bullets are huge!
As I said, I loaded 8 at 3.5 gr and 8 at 3.8 gr I'm working on 50 pcs at 4.0 gr to give more info on accuracy of this bullet. The 3.5 gr load is to mild it just barely broke 600 fps. From what I experienced the 4.0 gr should be a tad bit better shooting in the mid 700's I intend to dabble with the trail boss for a bit before trying a magnum powder.

warf73
03-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Keep me posted on the trailboss loads, I plan on dabbling in a softball load for the gun later on in the summer.

M4bushy
03-28-2011, 05:47 PM
I put 50 rounds through the 480 this past weekend. I was really pleased how the bullets worked out. I loaded 4.0 gr of trail boss behind a lee 400 gr cast bullet seated at the first crimp groove from the nose. They shot a ragged hole at 20 yards from the bench. The loads did feel whimPy still so I loaded 50 more at 4.5 gr to be tested on my next range session. I really am getting addicted to this casting.......:bigsmyl2:

M4bushy
03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
I put 50 rounds through the 480 this past weekend. I was really pleased how the bullets worked out. I loaded 4.0 gr of trail boss behind a lee 400 gr cast bullet seated at the first crimp groove from the nose. They shot a ragged hole at 20 yards from the bench. The loads did feel whimPy still so I loaded 50 more at 4.5 gr to be tested on my next range session. I really am getting addicted to this casting.......:bigsmyl2:

warf73
03-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Sounds great with a ragged hole at 20 yards. Take that same boolit and drop in 21gr ish of 296 and whimp leaves the range. Something to consider about TB it's ment to be a plinker powder not a hot rod powder.

Keep up the good work.

Steel185
03-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Sounds great with a ragged hole at 20 yards. Take that same boolit and drop in 21gr ish of 296 and whimp leaves the range. Something to consider about TB it's ment to be a plinker powder not a hot rod powder.

Keep up the good work.

I was wondering, because of all the ways to describe my 480, whimpy isn't one of them. Couldn't figure why his load was so small. But I've never tried TB before. Usually use 296 or lil' gun. both around 21-23grs.

Usually after i fire the first round, everyone on the firing line pauses and looks down toward me, wondering "What the H---!"

M4bushy
03-29-2011, 11:23 AM

Keep up the good work.

Yes I do realize trailboss isn't a magnum powder. I'm trying to get a load that I can shoot a 100 rounds and still be able to open and close my hand! I have a magnum load with h 110 and a 325 gr htp bullet that I plan on hunting with. After 20 of those, I've had enough.

warf73
03-30-2011, 02:17 AM
Usually after i fire the first round, everyone on the firing line pauses and looks down toward me, wondering "What the H---!"

My last range section at my dads the neighbors (200 yards aways) came out of there house tring to figure out were the sound was coming from lol. Guess our rifles and shotguns sound way different than a 480 going bang in there house.

Yes I do realize trailboss isn't a magnum powder. I'm trying to get a load that I can shoot a 100 rounds and still be able to open and close my hand! I have a magnum load with h 110 and a 325 gr htp bullet that I plan on hunting with. After 20 of those, I've had enough.

When I shoot the 480 its in 36 round sections. Once my hand toughens up more I'll extend the sections out.

As of right now my range time is on hold until I get another weekend off. I'm guessing my hand has gotten soft again since its been 3 weeks since my last outting.

M4bushy
03-30-2011, 07:22 PM
got some more range time in this afternoon. i think this is the plinking load i'm going to stick with. 4.5 gr trail boss behind a 400 gr lead boolit. this is a 6 shot group at 25 yards off of a sandbag. now it's time to practice offhand. this revolver shooting is a whole different ball game.

warf73
04-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Nice group I would say you are there on the plining load.

Good work.