PDA

View Full Version : The 280412..... that ain't

justingrosche
02-12-2011, 05:51 AM
So I got around to casting with a 280412 mold I acquired a while back and the dimensions are all screwy.
As cast, the base diameter is .285 with a .268 nose. Before some one asks, yes, I checked the number stamped on the mold. The profile itself is correct, checked against the Lyman manuals. I dont know if this is a mistake, or Lyman tried to cheat and make a dual caliber mold 270/7mm. I dont imagine it'll work worth a damn for either. With the nose being so small, it definitely wont bore ride in my 270.
I did manage to size it fairly well to .2775, at least to the front driving band which is .280. I guess this is over sized due to the amount of metal I'm displacing in sizing from .285 to .2775
Unfortunately although I got the base of the Boolit almost passable, the nose is still to small.
Does anyone have this mold that they could check my numbers with? I'd love to hear what the Guru's have to say.
Justin

Tom Myers
02-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Does anyone have this mold that they could check my numbers with? I'd love to hear what the Guru's have to say.
Justin

Justin,

I have an old Ideal 280412 mold that produced a bullet that shot quite well in a Remington 270 that I used to own.

The images of my Mold Inventory Database (http://www.uslink.com/~tom1/MoldListBuy/index.htm) show the particulars of the mold and specs of the casting.

Hope this is of some help.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/Ideal_280412/280412-Mold.jpg

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/Ideal_280412/280412-Sketch.jpg

45-70 Chevroner
02-12-2011, 11:18 AM
I believe the boolit you are talking about is a .280 Remington boolit and not a .270 boolit the nose is the correct size for the .280. The .280 Remington was formally named the 7mm Remington Express. The .285 diameter is also the correct size for cast boolits in the 280 Rem. The .268 nose diameter is close to the correct bore riding size for the same rifle.

BCall
02-12-2011, 12:58 PM
.268 nose diameter would be way too small to fit my 7mm. More like .277. My best 7mm boolit casts at .278 on the nose and .286 on the bands. Would probably be too small for most .270's, I would think.

justingrosche
02-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the input Guys. I knew something wasn't right. Tom that data base is truly impressive. You should do very well with that enterprise.
45-70 Chevroner, I think you are correct, 280 Rem with the .284 groove diam. and just miss marked. Although I cant find this profile listed with the 280 Rem either.
Bruce I think your correct as well, this wont shoot worth a hoot in either the 270 or the 7mm.
Justin

Dannix
02-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Interesting software there Tom. Noting like a little free advertising. ;)

Is the database setup to accept (moderated) input from the community and front end client for pay, or is the entire package closed-source?

Bullshop
02-12-2011, 02:35 PM
It will work in a 280 if PP.
BTW doing the boolit nose in the muzzle of a 270 rifle my 280412 is too loose fitting to expect good performance.
It did however give very good performance in a 10" TC Contender in 270 Ren.

Tom Myers
02-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Interesting software there Tom. Noting like a little free advertising. ;)

Is the database setup to accept (moderated) input from the community and front end client for pay, or is the entire package closed-source?

Dannix,

The software is simply a database setup to record and store information and images of one's molds. It is downloaded and installed on a computer with no added data input except from the user.

A few years back, the basic code was the first Delphi Database program that I attempted and it worked so well for me that I made it more user-friendly and put it up on my website as merchandise.

The bullet and dimension sketches are produced by a separate software project that I am presently working on and hope to have ready to distribute soon. Until then, the user can provide jpeg images to compliment the mold record.

I am also working on software that provides a precise and accurate large scale image of chamber, cartridge and bullet fit relationships. A you can see, if the 280412 mold is correctly dimensioned, the bullet is an excellent fit in the standard 270 Winchester SAMMI Chamber.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/Ideal_280412/270_Winchester~Ideal_Mold_280412.Jpg

justingrosche
02-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Any adventurist Boolit Casters want a challenging mold to buy? It's a somewhere between 280 Rem and a 7mm. LOL

ktw
02-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Any adventurist Boolit Casters want a challenging mold to buy? It's a somewhere between 280 Rem and a 7mm. LOL

Most of the old lyman 270 Win designs I have seen cast somewhere in the .280-.284 range on the bands. This can be useful to fit some of the longer throated 270's. I have a old Ruger 77 that prefers them sized at .280

If you can find a 280412 with dimensions like Tom's it should shoot well. All of the ones I have seen have a tapered nose, too small to bore ride anywhere along it's length.

-ktw

fourarmed
02-14-2011, 03:39 PM
I have the same mold, and it drops the same. Undersized nose, oversized driving bands. It is one my Dad bought in the late 40s when he got his 721 .270. It didn't shoot worth a darn for him either.

Moonie
02-15-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm going to get this mold from justingrosche and attempt to use it in my 6.8. It actually looks like it should fit just fine.

justingrosche
02-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Sold Pending funds to Moonie

nanuk
02-16-2011, 10:12 PM
The images of my Mold Inventory Database show the particulars of the mold and specs of the casting.

Hope this is of some help.

Tom, your graphic pics don't seem to match the actual mould pics of yours or justingrosche's pics

can you confirm your pics?

Tom Myers
02-17-2011, 02:41 AM
Tom, your graphic pics don't seem to match the actual mould pics of yours or justingrosche's pics
can you confirm your pics?

Nanuk,

Do I ever feel dumb. You are absolutely riight. I haven't a clue as to when or how I screwed up the dimensions in my mold databse and I cant blame the computer because it only draws the images from the data that I put into it. { GI, GO } (Garbage in ~ Garbage out)

I updated the images in the forum to reflect the revised data in my software.

The bore ride section in the mold does taper and my rough calculations show that the angle of taper is very close to the angle of the leade in the SAMMI specs chamber drawing. So the nose this bullet is close to one thousandths less than the freebore and leade of the chamber. Even though it has been a while, I remember that it did shoot well in the Remington 721, 270 Win that I had years ago.

Please forgive the misleading information that was posted. From now on I will try to be more dilligent in checking what I post.

Doby45
02-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Tom, how bout you just beat yourself with a wet noodle, everyone would feel better. ;) Cut yourself some slack, your application/DB looks great.

justingrosche
02-17-2011, 10:06 AM
In Tom's defense, I did list this as a Lyman instead of an Ideal. But either stamp, still out of spec.
I agree with Doby, good data base.
Justin

nanuk
02-18-2011, 12:23 AM
not to pick open a wound, I just had seen that mould design before, as I was looking for .270 moulds for awhile.

then the graphic caught my eye, as it and the mould (which looked familiar) didn't quite line up in my eye. I had to look several times to be sure.

I just notice things sometimes and like to confirm.

You guys have to realize that I sit in awe at how much knowledge is on here, and openly shared!

It is humbling.

so when I see something that appears askance, (??? is that a word?) I just like to confirm it for my own knowledge base I am building up in the cranium files.

Doby45
02-18-2011, 08:02 AM
not to pick open a wound, I just had seen that mould design before, as I was looking for .270 moulds for awhile.

then the graphic caught my eye, as it and the mould (which looked familiar) didn't quite line up in my eye. I had to look several times to be sure.

I just notice things sometimes and like to confirm.

You guys have to realize that I sit in awe at how much knowledge is on here, and openly shared!

It is humbling.

so when I see something that appears askance, (??? is that a word?) I just like to confirm it for my own knowledge base I am building up in the cranium files.

As you should. I just thought it was funny how Tom was beating on himself for a simple mistake. Just goes to show the character of the man. Someone who takes great pride in his work and will be the first the admit a mistake. No one was being chastised, I was just ribbing Tom.

nanuk
02-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Mr. Myers, that graphic display is great.

if the boolits are dropping as spec'd I can see a good fit. must be just a hint of resistance as the most forward band sized .280 would be a squeeze into the .278 freebore.... again if all is as spec.

I like that program.
I much prefer visuals to help me

thanks for that Tom.

Moonie
11-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Update for this, this boolit worked ok in my 6.8 but I have recently gotten a mold more suited for 6.8. I have also recently purchased an encore pistol in 270 that I will be using this boolit in and I've also started powder coating which will fix the undersized nose issue nicely.

Paullacy
04-19-2022, 08:30 AM
Tom,

I am totally impressed with your software. Can I get a copy somewhere?

Paul

Tom Myers
04-19-2022, 10:28 AM
Tom,

I am totally impressed with your software. Can I get a copy somewhere?

Paul

Thanks for the comment. Always gratifying to receive praise for one's work.

All of the Precision Shooting Software applications are available for purchase and download.

Information about each of the applications is available on the Precision Shooting Software Webpage. (https://www.tmtpages.com/).

The application installations and downloads can be purchased at the Precision Shooting Software Store (https://secure.tmtpages.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77&zenid=500336c317e8929eddadbcdc96c473c5).

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.