PDA

View Full Version : Cast & the Casull

02-12-2011, 03:46 AM
In reference to my previous post:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=102504
Thanks guys. I very much appreciated you taking the time to share your knowledge with a neophyte.

I'm amazed that I always thought that lead boolits could only be shot at low pressures/velocities unless you loved scrubbing your firearms. I've since invested in some tools of the trade and went to work. Today was my third trip to the range with cast boolits. I read your replies over multiple times and then dug up some old muzzleloader boolits and pounded one thru the barrel and another thru each cylinder chamber. All were .452 so I ordered a Lee sizer and ordered a second in .451 as Bass_Ackward suggested. Of course I also ordered a mold. I went with a Lee C452-300-RF gas check design thanks to 454PB's reply. A Lee Pro 4-20, some Linotype, gas checks and a few other items that I thought I might need went on the order. I forgot about boolit lube so I mixed up some bees wax and Vaseline in a 9/1 ratio. In the near future I'll try some of the lube geargnasher suggested.

The only lead I had was left over from my last muzzleloader casting session. I mixed it 50/50 with the linotype. Below is a pic of the best of today's results. 1.86" @ 32 yards with a cast boolit at 1234 fps. There was absolutely zero leading in the gun. Next I'll start stepping up the pressure/velocity until the groups start spreading out or leading rears its ugly head. I've got a lot of experimenting to do. Thanks again to everyone that replied. I learned something from every one of you.

stubshaft
02-12-2011, 05:18 AM
Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together.

Love Life
02-12-2011, 05:28 AM
I have a freedom arms in 454 Casull. I have pushed 3:1 PB:Lino up to 1650 FPS sized to .452 with no leading using speed green as lube. The boolit is the lee 255 gr RNFP. Lee LLA mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits gave the same result. IMHO the speed green from bullshop was the best. Easy to apply with a Lyman lubesizer and the boolits weren't sticky.

tommygirlMT
02-12-2011, 07:03 AM
Decent grouping (454 good mutent alien medicine :twisted:) --- but --- sounds a little slow for a GCed lead load

You working with a short barrel gun or no? --- If you have some barrel length to work with then consider using some AA-1680 powder --- you can make GCed lead go fast fast fast with that stuff in the 454 --- major cylinder gap and muzzle flash but you get used to it

unclebill
02-12-2011, 07:55 AM
hello .458
i am much newer at the boolit game than you are.
i have been using the #452651 with 26gr. IMR4227 out of my raging bull 8 3.8 bbl. with good results.
there is no leading.
i destroyed my chrono a while back with a glancing blow from one of those big ole pills
so i dont know the velocity but i would guess about 1300 fps.
i havent really shot for groups but i have been nailing my 10" clanger @ 110 yards

DragoonDrake
02-12-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't take pics, but I have gotten that same bullet to shoot a ragged one hole at 25yards using 25.5grs of 2400 out of my SRH with a 2x scope. The 454 is too much fun for its own good. With your lead and a gas check you should easily be able to get more velocity than that.

02-12-2011, 05:24 PM
tommygirlMT

Thanks for the info. It's a Freedom Arms model 83 with a 6" barrel. My next trip to the range will be to see how fast I can push the boolit without loosing accuracy. I'm assuming that at some point the boolit will skew the rifling due to improper hardness. When that happens I'll modify my alloy and continue testing. I'm trying to develop a large game load that's as accurate as possible while having the energy to punch through a black bear from stem to stern.

Unfortunately lead wheel weights are illegal here in Washington state so I'm working with foundry lead. I think the environmentalists are fearful that the lead will find its way back to where it came from. My Rotometals order showed up so I now have 40 pounds of their "Hardball" mix, it looked to be the closest to what I've been shooting. Also got 10 pounds of their "Super Hard" if I need to harden the boolit any more. My mail-lady wasn't too happy about it though.

tommygirlMT
02-13-2011, 07:11 PM
My shortest barrel 454 gun I bother to chrony the loads on has a 7.5" barrel. I can get 1550 with AA-1680 and 300gr. GCed lead with accuracy --- can push it a little further and break 1600 but groups hit the fan

With your 6 --- me thinks --- you should be able to at least get 1400 --- but you will have to try yoursef --- now with a long 12" barrel 454 wheel cannon --- then you can push them long and hard --- and fast fast fast

TCLouis
02-13-2011, 09:11 PM
looks like you are on the way with the Casull

With a gas check and that boolit shape I think you may well be able to get more velocity with no leading and softer alloy. This will also extend your lino supply.

May be too late, but try to snag a hundred pounds or so of WWs before they disappear up there.

Different animal, but I shot 105 rounds of 30 Herrett with cast soupcans at 2100 fps with no leading.

I was fireforming brass in the long past when I did not know a better way existed.