PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Ranch Hand

Denver
02-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Looking at the Rossi website and the Ranch Hand model it says the 12 inch barrel complies with federal regulations. What reg are they talking about?

lylejb
02-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Short barreled rifle.

A rifle under 16" of barrel must be registered under the NFA, much the same as a short bbl shotgun.

However, because the ranch hand was never made with a stock, it's not a rifle. It's a pistol.

man.electric
03-24-2011, 06:51 AM
I have wrestled with the idea of buying one of these for a while. With the safety carefully removed it might be too neat not too own. If I find one in a local gun shop I am sure it will follow me home.

Tazman1602
03-24-2011, 08:18 AM
What legal issues would arise if you bought one of these and put a full size rifle stock on it?

I'm *guessing* you'd then have to register it as NFA --- anyone *really* know???

This is a very interesting piece....

Art

northmn
03-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Some high capacity semi autos have to be sold as a pistol, even with a rifle configuration. In Minnesota that means a permit to purchase to buy one.

DP

wiljen
03-24-2011, 10:46 AM
What legal issues would arise if you bought one of these and put a full size rifle stock on it?

I'm *guessing* you'd then have to register it as NFA --- anyone *really* know???

This is a very interesting piece....

Art

You actually have to file the paperwork and get approval to build an SBR BEFORE you put the shoulder stock on it. If you have both the gun, and the parts to turn it into an SBR without having registered it (Even if you have not assembled it) you are technically in what ATF calls "Constructive possession" of an SBR. Same thing goes for having an AR-15 and an M16A2 fire control group, even without assembly, per ATF, you are in possession of a machine gun.

robertbank
03-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Just to show how dumb our gun laws are n Canada the gun is considered a rifle and you can put a stock on it. Because it is a Lever gun the 18" barrel rule we have up here is OK and is not"Restricted" vs a semi-auto with a barrel length less than 18" being considered a "Restricted" firearm and can only be used at shooting ranges. Go figure!

Take Care

Bob

btroj
03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Laws aside, I wouldn't own one just because they are so dang ugly. I can't see a real purpose for them either.

man.electric
03-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Laws aside, I wouldn't own one just because they are so dang ugly. I can't see a real purpose for them either.

I own many firearms that serve no real purpose but the fun factor. If they weren't fun, I wouldn't bother shooting them.

btroj
03-24-2011, 05:12 PM
But this one doesn't look fun to me. It isn't a rifle, it isn't a handgun. What exactly is it?
It looks like something I would see under the coat of a guy holding up a gas station.

Tazman1602
03-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Some of you guys are scaring me with your comments of "no purpose for this"...........................etc.

Sounds a helluva lot like the gun grabbers comments.

Yes it's butt ugly. No it's not a pistol and not a rifle. No it doesn't serve a real purpose....................

but unless you really don't like guns, you have to admit it looks like it would be a hoot to shoot. Geez there are some real sticks in the mud here somedays...............

Wiljen -- thank you, thats the way I was reading the regs too.....THANK YOU.

GAWD are some of you so blasted old and prudish you can't just have fun shooting something like this????????????

.....or are you so young you don't remember Steve McQueen in "Wanted dead or alive"????

I, of course, have never seen the above show with Steve McQueen, I just remember my dad talking about it. I also have a small bridge in Northern Michigan for sale..................

btroj
03-24-2011, 07:10 PM
I am no gun grabber but I know ugly and useless when I see it.

man.electric
03-24-2011, 07:21 PM
I am no gun grabber but I know ugly and useless when I see it.

Brotj, I think your attitude is off a bit. Using your logic, the following statement could be made by some hypothetical person and would be acceptable. All bolt action and single shot rifles are useless because semi-autos are much more efficient. Why would anyone want to have a slow single shot or clunky mechanical action when the autos of the world are the best design. They should stop selling all firearms except semi-autos because all other firearms and their owners are ugly and useless.

This isn't how I feel, but the ugly and useless attitude isn't needed. Firearms are like women. Some guys like blondes, some like redheads, and some prefer brunettes. I just like women and get hung up on small details.

btroj
03-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Sorry you guys don't agree but I am standing my ground. I like levers as much as anyone but I got to draw the line somewhere. Give me a Marlin 1895 or 335 any day but the short stock, short barrel, and big lever? Why?
Call me a traditionalist but a gun needs to look right for me to buy into it. I don't like Glocks for the same reason, a 1911 is classy.
I don't call it logic, I call it aesthetics. This thing does not appeal to mine. If you like it, then buy it. I was stating my opinion, no more, no less.

robertbank
03-24-2011, 09:48 PM
But this one doesn't look fun to me. It isn't a rifle, it isn't a handgun. What exactly is it?
It looks like something I would see under the coat of a guy holding up a gas station.

Or Steve McQueen playing on TV. You have to admit he was cool with his Mares Leg. Just saying.:smile:

Take Care

Bob

btroj
03-24-2011, 09:55 PM
A yes, the cool TV guns. Isn't it sad that real life doesn't work the same? I would love to be able to make some of the shots they show on TV. I also would love to be able to shoot in a car or building with no plugs and not go deaf or cringe at the noise. Oh to have a gun that makes no noise!

man.electric
03-24-2011, 10:39 PM
There is a very valid purpose for the mare's leg. The 12 inch barrel on a 45 colt should generate an increase in speed to as high as 400 FPS over the typical 5 1/2" sixgun with little recoil. I know enough men who spend their lives on tractors and enjoy taking pot shots on game in their fields when possible. A tractor doesn't give a guy room to keep a long rifle handy and with a price tag of under $400 this is a great tool for that purpose. They are not for everyone, but after thinking it over I will have one in my safe within a month.

http://www.spring1911.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/9104b_ppppp_desktop_rossi_ranch_hand_tfb-tm-tfb.jpg

robertbank
03-24-2011, 11:03 PM
There is a very valid purpose for the mare's leg. The 12 inch barrel on a 45 colt should generate an increase in speed to as high as 400 FPS over the typical 5 1/2" sixgun with little recoil. I know enough men who spend their lives on tractors and enjoy taking pot shots on game in their fields when possible. A tractor doesn't give a guy room to keep a long rifle handy and with a price tag of under $400 this is a great tool for that purpose. They are not for everyone, but after thinking it over I will have one in my safe within a month.

http://www.spring1911.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/9104b_ppppp_desktop_rossi_ranch_hand_tfb-tm-tfb.jpg

Cool! When you get it would you post how the gun shoots. I would be interested if you can shoulder the gun, after a fashion. I have been watching for a .45LC with a 16" barrel but a Mares Leg might be just the ticket for back packing. As an aside I have seen farmers over in alberta carry a sawn off 12 gauge shotgun loaded with Buck on their tractors for picking of Coyotes that would come and run with the tractor.

Take Care

Bob

Tazman1602
03-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Man --

IF you find one will you let me know WHERE you found it?? They are all over Gunbroker but priced out the roof. And PLEASE let us know how that thing shoots!!!!!!

I've looked at every distributor I deal with and none of them have stock right now...

I think Puma makes a similiar one called a "Bounty Hunter" but that one is out of stock also............

.............."out of stock".............like every darn Marlin ever made now that the plant is shutting down.......

Hey Btroj you've got a right to your opinion, I just like oddball firearms and am kinda grumpy somedays....

Art

KCSO
03-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Iuse to think that there were for decoration only but the new one in 45 Colt and 410 shotgun would make a nice survival gun for backpacking. As to velocity increase the 12" barrel in a buntline give only about 150 fps more than a 7/12" tube but the closed breech of the Rossi may pump it up a little more.

ktw
03-25-2011, 12:16 PM
I know enough men who spend their lives on tractors and enjoy taking pot shots on game in their fields when possible.

I understand how that might be an attractive idea, and I understand that it happens, but it would be illegal in Wisconsin, Michigan and many other states.

Transporting Firearms in Motor Vehicles, Boats, or Aircraft. In general, no one may place, possess, or transport a firearm in a motor vehicle, motorboat, or aircraft unless the firearm is unloaded and in a carrying case. Loading or discharging a firearm in or from a vehicle is also prohibited [ss. 167.31 (2) (a) and (b), and (3) (a)].

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lrb/pubs/wb/00wb11.pdf

-ktw

man.electric
03-25-2011, 12:56 PM
ktw, after putting up with years of dishonesty from the Wisconsin DNR most farmers could care less about what they say. If the DNR wants to harass a farmer for taking care of problem animals in his fields then they shouldn't have jobs or food on their tables. I know what the law reads, but there are many laws I can not fully support.

Denver
03-25-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm sure that in Michigan, it would have to be registered as a pistol. Now if you have a CPL, you could legally carry it in your vehicle loaded. :twisted: That should just drive the DNR people nuts.:guntootsmiley:

Tazman1602
03-25-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't know if it would or would not have to be registered as a pistol but since you put it that way Denver I'm going to look for one again!

LOL!

DNR in Michigan........ DNR="Damn Near Russians"

I'm sure that in Michigan, it would have to be registered as a pistol. Now if you have a CPL, you could legally carry it in your vehicle loaded. :twisted: That should just drive the DNR people nuts.:guntootsmiley:

JesterGrin_1
03-26-2011, 04:42 PM
I have to admit I did think about one but only to put a standard but stock on it. Just to use when out walking on the lease or filling up the Deer Feeders as it would be handy.But then again I am in TEXAS lol. But the way the game wardens are I would not wish to maybe get into trouble.

But I do have to agree with another poster here. That as the gun is configured now it is not much good for anything except as some say having fun and blowing ammo.

EDK
03-26-2011, 09:36 PM
I'd like to have one...or access to one to shoot up a couple hundred rounds first.

I'd also like a Broom Handle Mauser with the holster/shoulder stock...should have got one when they were available at a reasonable price.

I shoot for fun mostly. I don't hunt much 'cause I don't like deer meat... and the coyotes pretty well cleaned out the rabbits around my place. My largest number of kills was feral canines messing with the calves or a couple of strays that wanted to tree me on my own place.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Beagler
03-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Ranch hand would make a good truck gun. Short and easy to get out quick if you had to dispatch a critter.

NickSS
03-26-2011, 11:16 PM
I looked one of these over at my local gun store a week or so ago and it was nicely built. The thing could be shouldered but the butt is so short as to be uncomfortable and the sights hard to see as they were too close to the eye. When held like a rifle the sights were useable and as it would be a 2 handed hold I would think I could shoot it as well as a handgun at similar ranges and maybe a bit further if I rigged it with a neck sling to help hold it steady. I did not like the big loop lever but that is a personal thing. Overall I would think that it has some usefulness and will probably sell well but I will not buy one.

nanuk
03-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Just to show how dumb our gun laws are n Canada the gun is considered a rifle and you can put a stock on it. Because it is a Lever gun the 18" barrel rule we have up here is OK and is not"Restricted" vs a semi-auto with a barrel length less than 18" being considered a "Restricted" firearm and can only be used at shooting ranges. Go figure!

Take Care

Bob

Bob, you want to hear something else kinda ODD?

Weatherby put out a "hand held firearm" that is NOT a handgun, but is not a rifle. But because of how the regs are worded, it has to be registered, but is completely legal to use anywhere a rifle can legally be fired.

here in SK, they appear to be legal to hunt big game with.

I believe it is called a CFP.

Rio Grande
03-27-2011, 06:28 AM
I have to admit I did think about one but only to put a standard but stock on it. Just to use when out walking on the lease or filling up the Deer Feeders as it would be handy.But then again I am in TEXAS lol. But the way the game wardens are I would not wish to maybe get into trouble.

But I do have to agree with another poster here. That as the gun is configured now it is not much good for anything except as some say having fun and blowing ammo.

Can't put a rifle stock on it - illegal. Shouldn't be illegal, but is.
"Not much good"? As another poster wrote, a great backpack firearm. And you could make it very useful if you had to. You just lay that baby up on a padded rest and it will deliver the accurate goods.
It is ugly though.

robertbank
03-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Bob, you want to hear something else kinda ODD?

Weatherby put out a "hand held firearm" that is NOT a handgun, but is not a rifle. But because of how the regs are worded, it has to be registered, but is completely legal to use anywhere a rifle can legally be fired.

here in SK, they appear to be legal to hunt big game with.

I believe it is called a CFP.

Up here I know it would be legal but for the price they are asking for it, again up here, I wouldn't think they are worth the dollars. It certainly would be handy to carry in an over the shoulder rig for hiking though.

Take Care

Bob

wiljen
03-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Ok, here's a thought. How will the Ranch dog perform in the Ranch Hand?

robertbank
03-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Ok, here's a thought. How will the Ranch dog perform in the Ranch Hand?

There is a reply just waiting in the wings but I am not going to touch it.:bigsmyl2:

Take Care

Bob

Three44s
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Put a laser on it and it would sure clear a house of intruders in short order!

A red neck counter-assault rifle!

Three 44s

nanuk
03-29-2011, 06:00 AM
There is a reply just waiting in the wings but I am not going to touch it.:bigsmyl2:

Take Care

Bob

Prolly need to be lubed with Ranch Dressing

nanuk
03-29-2011, 06:04 AM
Up here I know it would be legal but for the price they are asking for it, again up here, I wouldn't think they are worth the dollars. It certainly would be handy to carry in an over the shoulder rig for hiking though.

Take Care

Bob

I was thinking a custom rig that hangs under one arm, secured somehow to a belt, or leg loop, with a quick draw type system of some sort.

think long barreled handgun, and a BigA$$'d holster.

in some "ThumpGun" caliber.