PDA

View Full Version : victory will be mine.

nes4ever69
02-11-2011, 10:26 PM
having trouble with my lyman mold casting for my 500 magnum. the boolits were under sized and out of round.

before i had .500 to .498.:groner:

beagled the mold and cast with hot alloy, lee pot set at higher number then normal.

now i ran them through my lee .501 sizer and i am at .502 (digital calipers not micrometer), and some with slight spot rotating it at .500.[smilie=w:

now hopefully this will keep the leading down and will be able to keep all rounds sent down range on paper and not flying all over.

if this doesnt work different lube. [smilie=b:

geargnasher
02-11-2011, 10:37 PM
If that doesn't work throw the piece of junk in the trash and get yourself a REAL mould from Accurate Moulds, Mountain Molds, BRP, or whoever makes one you like OTHER than Lyman.

I spent about eight hours peening and filing the alignment pins and blocks on a 505-grain .458 Lyman mould so the thing would cast round and the nose would fit the bore. The cavities were cut ok (a little undersized, but ok), but they were shifted leaving a step on both sides of the boolit when cast and a nominal .456". That's a whole Saturday I don't get back.

Gear

nes4ever69
02-11-2011, 10:54 PM
that was the first lyman mold i bought. i was not impressed with it. from what im seeing lee makes better molds. granted i have to do some work on the lee mold but it cost $20 vs the $60 plus handles for lyman.

hell i bought this one cause it says 375 grain, hell this batch i just casted the weight is around 394-396. i should have just bought the lee 440.

if it doesnt work ill see if i can trade it for a lee.

onondaga
02-12-2011, 03:15 AM
I shoot the .500 S&W mag in an NEF Handi-Rifle. If the heavy bullets start to bug you, try my solution:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/TLsized.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/bullets.jpg

I cast the Lee 250 gr R.E.A.L 50 cal Muzzle loading bullet. These drop at .513" and I tumble lube them before and after sizing to .501"

They clock at 1885 fps seated over BPI Original filler to the case mouth and compress 35.2 grains of WC820. The filler gives good ignition and acts very well as a gas check for these ragged butt sized bullets. I roll crimp in a separate step after seating to the middle of the center driving band. Either my grandson or my self get this load to group routinely under one inch at 50 yards. Killer, flat shooting, bang flop deer load. On the way walking back to camp this season, my grandson intentionally decapitated a chipmunk at over 25 yards with this load.

I also have the RCBS 50-340-SWC mold. It drops bullets .503" diameter and they weigh 366 grains with straight Wheel Weight alloy. This is a plain flat base, big meplat flat-nose bullet. I had hoped they would be lighter and closer to 340 grains as designated. I like this bullet but even at 1000 fps it kicks my grandson too hard, he won't shoot the heavy 366 grain bullets anymore.

Gary

nes4ever69
02-12-2011, 02:16 PM
oooooooooooo, new idea's for the 500, i like that. i was wondering about some other type of boolit that could be used. now that could be something i would like to play with over some trail boss for fun.

onondaga
02-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Those R.E.A.L. bullets are available in two grain weights for .50 cal. and the 2 cavity molds are only $19.49:

250 grain-

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=130069

320 grain-

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=362053

I really like the 500 S&W, The Starline brass I use lasts forever too. I have even tried 45 caliber cast 250 gr pistol bullets in a 50 caliber muzzle loading sabot in the . 500 S&W and gotten velocities to 2400 fps with 100 yd groups just over 3 in. You can find those sabot loads over at Reloadersnest.com. :

Look at load #303 and #304:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage_handgun.asp?CaliberID=61

Here is a link to the sabots I use, they will take any .451-.452" bullet and will load into the .500 S&W:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=738785
I flair before seating the loaded sabot lightly against the powder, then use a slight roll crimp with these. My testing was with H LilGun.

That should open some new possibilities for you!

Gary

stubshaft
02-12-2011, 03:47 PM
that was the first lyman mold i bought. i was not impressed with it. from what im seeing lee makes better molds. granted i have to do some work on the lee mold but it cost $20 vs the $60 plus handles for lyman.

hell i bought this one cause it says 375 grain, hell this batch i just casted the weight is around 394-396. i should have just bought the lee 440.

if it doesnt work ill see if i can trade it for a lee.

My Lee 440 casts 482gr. You can lighten your boolit and increase your diameter by using a richer alloy. Mold manufacturers usually use a specific alloy to check dimensions and weight.

nes4ever69
02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
well, i tested them and the rounds went to the target good. the trail boss test was fun.

one group would have been great with the h110 but i had an oops aim and put it 3" from the other's.

the barrel has lead build up bad in the rifleing at the muzzle.

at least getting them on paper has bee acheived.

onondaga
02-14-2011, 01:46 AM
I don't know how you are lubing your bullets, but if you are getting leading at the muzzle, that is lube failure. I tumble lube for my .500 S&W bullets once before sizing and twice after. I now use the 45:45:10 and it dries in 20 minutes. Very happy with it and it leaves a lube star on the muzzle after 5-10 shots. I get zero leading. Also I pull a Hoppe's bore snake through every 5 shots and only clean and oil the bore at the end of the season. My bore is polished and stays mirror shiny and clean with my cast loads.

Gary

nes4ever69
02-14-2011, 01:33 PM
lee liquid alox. but i got to thinking, i think i screwed up and put to heavy of a crimp. the lee die does bullet seating and a crimp. im going to test a boolit and see if the heavy crimp shaved some off. im also thinking i had to little alox on them.

it was fairly easy to clean most of it. 4 passes with a bore snake and about 80% was gone.

hell with the accuracy i was getting with these after beagleing the mold, its worth it. the only bullets that i have had just as good are the barnes xpb.

did test them, crimp to heavy. drop the boolit diameter down and removed most of the lube. now i should be at minimal leading and accuracy with the next batch.