PDA

View Full Version : Helpin' new casters

Jim
02-11-2011, 11:11 AM
I've been with this forum about ten years and I've noticed that most here are happy and quick to help new casters with information. That's a good thing and I'm proud to be a part of this group.

I've also noticed a lot of new casters are not necessarily new to shooting, just the casting part. Man, I remember how confusing and complicated it seemed to me the first time I tried to transform a WW into a usable boolit. But a lot of the more experienced guys jumped in and got me straightened out.

Years ago, there was stuff available to the caster/shooter that is not so available anymore. WWs, milsurp powders, milsurp brass, etc., just to name a few. Like everybody else, I collected what I could.

Some of the newer casters are not so lucky this day and age. There's still milsurp stuff out there, but WWs are really gettin' scarce. I see so many guys postin' that they can't find any.

Just last night, I was in chat and a new guy came in. Like a lot of guys, he was lamenting about how hard it is to find WWs. I PMed him and told him that I had a few pounds I could share to help him get started. I can't continue to provide him with WWs but, at least, I can give him a little something just to kinda' kick start his casting.

I'd like to suggest that we watch out for these guys that need just a little help with supplies to get off the ground. If you have a little extra something that you can lose and not miss, why not help out a new caster? Kinda like our "Pay it forward" program, but targeting a certain individual.

With the economy bein' the way it is, sometimes I can't afford to cover the shipping on a medium flat rate box every week. I think I can handle one a month, though. If a bunch of guys were to do that, just once in a while, these new casters would be set in short order.

Not long ago, I posted that I am taking on a couple of young fellas to teach all this to. My intent of that post was purely to share my excitement about it. I never expected anybody to respond beyond "That's great, Jim!". I got flooded with PMs and public offers to help. And, man, did I get help! My boys are set, now.

I'm not suggesting we all respond at that level and/or frequency. I'm just sayin', if you have a little something to help a new caster get started, it will mean all the world to him to get a box in the mail with a gift and a note that says "Enjoy and be safe! Glad I could help."

There's a lot of guys here that have been doin' just this for years and still do. And those I thank very much for their generosity. I've had that generosity extended to me many times over. Now I'm beginning to understand how it feels to get a PM that says "Thanks, Jim! Sure do appreciate it!"

That's a good feelin'.

MtGun44
02-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Pass it on! :-)

Bill

Jarhead68
02-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Long time reloader but new to casting! I find WW at a metal recycle place paying 50 cents a pound seems like a lot by supply is unlimited!

starmac
02-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Jarhead I would stock up if you are needing to as they may be gone as soon as he ships. I understand they are outlawed so your supply will not last for the long haul.

Jailer
02-12-2011, 09:43 PM
I hear ya loud and clear Jim. I am one of the new casters that you are talking about. Only been in the game since about August of last year. I've been lucky enough to find free wheel weights up until just very recently and have scrounged up a pretty good stash in that time. I'm actually very close to having enough lead to last me literally a lifetime.

2 friends of mine are now interested in casting. I've got one of them trading snow plowings for wheel weights with his local tire shop for the 2 of them. So far he's got about a couple hundred pounds out of the deal. I'm going to help them get started using my equipment and show them how to get it into ingots and then eventually show them what I've learned so far casting.

I don't know nearly as much as the vast majority of the members here, but I'm sharing everything I've learned so far to get a couple buddies started in casting.

Dale53
02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Jailer has the right idea. Take a local gal or feller in hand, take him with you to a tour of the junk yards and see if you can buy lead/WW's. I have done this in the past. It's kind of like the saying, "Give a feller a fish and he can enjoy a meal. Show him HOW to fish, and he can eat forever!"

FWIW
Dale53

NSP64
02-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Show him HOW to fish, and he can eat forever!"

Dont ya mean."show him how to fish and he'll spend his days sitting on the bank drinking beer"

smoked turkey
02-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Jim:
That is sound advice. I was looking at the 'Pay it forward' program the other night and see it is something I need to become involved in. Thanks

btroj
02-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I have a project already. Female coworker who is learning to shoot. Last summer she was afraid of shooting the first time. Now she is looking at purchasing her first handgun. Wil
She ever cast? Doubt it. But I am happy that I have increased the number of shooters by one. And outside of the family too!
I have done alll I can to encourage and help local shooters to become better reloaders. I have also done what I can to change the attitudes towards cast bullets. Still get lots of sneers at the range but I am beyond caring about that now. The results on target are what matter.

Brad

THOR5624
02-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Hey Jim, its Riggs. I am one of those that appeciate everything you have done for newbies. me especially. Not many people will go that extra length to help somebody. You sure have! Thanks!

Jim
02-22-2011, 11:06 AM
My pleasure, Riggs. Just doin' what was done for me so many times by the good folks on this forum.

casterofboolits
02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
If any Castboolit member is close to Miamisburg, OH and needs some help or a few pounds of lead, PM me and I will be glad to help.

I have indoor smelting and casting in an old food service bldg.

Mustangpalmer1911
02-22-2011, 11:54 AM
I am brand new to casting just casted my first boolits the other day, .452 200gr SWC. I would just like to say thank for the advice and help I got her. To many other forums people let their personal opinion judge to much what others should do i have not sceen that here. This is one of only 2 forums I go to on a daily basis for info just a nice time reading and chating.

I also belong to www.Weaponscache.com another very good group of people.

Thank you again for the help everyone.

looseprojectile
02-22-2011, 06:05 PM
I always leap to assist anyone that is interested in shooting of any kind.
I find it hard to suppress my enthusiasm when dealing with a new potential addict. But I find it necessary to temper that enthusiasm with the reality that most people are interested in a limited amount of knowledge of shooting.

Case in point. My Grandson, 19, recently has shown a new interest in shooting the AR 15. Seems that he is today in fact taking his basic battery tests for enlistment in the US Army. I find out that he only wants to be somewhat familiar with handling and shooting the AR so that he doesn't look like a fool when in boot camp.
He has not previously shown any interest in guns. His little brother, 17, is a rabid gun nut. I am not sure the 19 year old has ever fired a gun. My fault. With that in mind he will get all and more of what he wants.
We old timers can not expect everyone that are curious about firearms to jump in with all four feet into guns as we have. Most will not become gun nuts sorry to say. We will see where this goes.

Life is good

geargnasher
02-23-2011, 01:47 AM
Jim, you are doing, through the medium of this particular hobby, the one thing that can fix America, one young person at a time. That thing is spending one-on-one time with someone to teach them about some elements of reality, how to develop reasoning skills, research skills, problem-solving skills, basic safety awareness (i.e. PAYING ATTENTION, this skill helps in all things, not just shooting sports), hand-eye coordination, conservation, frugality, and above all, SELF CONFIDENCE. These are a few of the traits shared by "The Greatest Generation", some real capable, thinking, fully developed men and women posessing the basic skills and VALUES needed to survive and prevail in the world's most terrible war.

I find so much of the above lacking in the average high school graduate these days. The average 18 year old boy doesn't even know how to properly grasp a screwdriver, holds a hammer by choking up on the handle near the head, is generally awkward with any sort of tool or device excepting electronics, and have zero values or even a decent enough knowledge fund to form an opinion about the weather. This might sound sexist (believe me, it isn't intended to) but the average young girl doesn't even know how to cook an EGG. Or iron a dress shirt. Or make cream gravy or REAL iced tea. You can forget about knitting a button hole or darning a sock.

So what failed here, our public education system? Yes, but that's not the whole story. We are failing as parents and teachers because both parents, or the parent as the case may be, are so busy working two or three jobs to pay the tax man that there is no time for the things that really matter. So our society, on all levels, is falling apart, no matter what trade or profession or locale.

I had the tremendous good fortune to have been reared by fully-developed human beings, and taken under the wing of many a fine teacher along the way. It has made all the difference, and I owe a debt of gratitude to every single person who took a minute to see my interest in something, whatever it was at the time, and to take the time to share what they knew about it.

From time to time I send out little gift packs to members, whether it's a few lubed boolits, some properly expanded cases, a dab of lanolin, lube sample, or similar such things that someone might need to help solve a problem of their own, or conduct an experiment. It's some small way of passing it on, PIF, or what have you. The other thing I try to share is knowledge, tips, hints, and techniques that have helped me in my quests. Sometimes I'm blunt and people get offended, but I was taught that each person is responsible for their own feelings, and that feelings have little to do with quality learning.

Gear

Dale53
02-23-2011, 02:25 AM
Gear;
A good post! In fact, a VERY good post!

My two sons were aged 12 and 14 when I realized I hadn't really taught them anything of value (other than good manners and "paying attention"), and the rights of others, etc. Just had not started on the mechanical things. I have a mechanical and machinists back ground and realized that if I failed to teach them NO ONE would.

I started by having them fix ANYTHING around the house and cars with minimal help from me. They operated the tools and with me giving instruction. They didn't really like it all that much, I am sure, but I was a hard task master. I praised them when it was called for and didn't when it wasn't. They turned out to be exceptional workers and fine human beings. Their sister followed in their footsteps.

All three were exceptional students (I NEVER missed a Parent/Teacher conference) and all three got serious scholarships. My two youngest were National Merit Scholars with full ride scholarships.

Either of the boys can fix or build ANYTHING! They both have exceptional handskills (one is a Dental Surgeon and has retired as a Full Bird Colonel from the U.S. Army). My daughter is a Dr. of Pharmacy and my youngest son is a successful business consultant.

I believe that their success is a direct result of what they learned at home. My wife has been a wonderful mother (Home Economics teacher at the college level with fantastic skills as both a fine cook and well as an extremely skilled seamstress. She has made wonderful costumes and has quilted dozens of quilts. Our children and grandchildren have all benefited from her presence.

The children (now grown with children of their own) all benefited from being trained shooters, campers, and serious back packing. They know what it means to spend the night in a sleeping bag on the side of a mountain under a rockshelter. They know how to cook and the boys even know how to run a sewing machine. They have remodeled their houses and done plumbing. They have done brake jobs and tune ups on their automobiles.

I don't know of a single teenager that can do anything these days except text and surf. We do have a great bunch of junior shooters at my home gun club (both young women as well as young men). They are learning discipline that they wouldn't get elsewhere...

Dale53

Jim
02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Gear,
'Peciate the vote of confidence. Thank you!

blackthorn
02-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Excellent posts Gear and Dale53! The only thig I might add is that where /when I grew up we were tought to take responsibility and accept the consequences for our actions, and if we passed a test or won a game it was because we worked for it, not because someone lowered the bar!

songdog53
02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
I too think is great thing to help beginner caster, i learned it the hard way learning from my mistakes and muck ups. Casting boolits will soon be lost art that i feel will be needed in future and along with reloading will soon become a necessity for shooters will need at way prices of factory continue to go higher and higher each day. To e casting is part of my shooting as much as pulling trigger for one leads to another step till you are shooting. God Bless each and everyone that has or will help new casters.

jmsj
02-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Pay it foward, it will come back to you.
A while back I posted about helping a young man start reloading and casting. Tonight I set up a set up a get together to help a couple of Cub Scouts (fathers are not around) build their Pine wood derby cars. The young man voluntered to come and help out. Pay it foward it will go around.

crabo
02-24-2011, 02:19 AM
I don't know of a single teenager that can do anything these days except text and surf. Dale53

As a high school autobody teacher for the last 17 years, I've got to disagree with you. I have a lot of students doing adult quality work. I think the biggest problem is that people aren't taking the time to challenge them, encourage them, and to show them what they can do if they apply themselves.

Kids are like a lot of adults... you've got good, hardworking ones, and you got lazy, worthless, no good ones. It's up to us to challenge them and show them what they can do. For me, the ones that "get it" are worth the effort of putting up with those that don't or have no desire to "get it".

Dale53
02-24-2011, 02:38 AM
crabo;
That is good to hear. I went through the Vocational School system in my high school. I received excellent quality instruction (as a machinist in my case) and the young men around me were VERY serious. We were next door to the auto shop and those people were just as good.

However, we had an excellent body shop program in the next town up the road and the program pretty much died when the school system allowed young men and women off school early to go retail. Too many of them quit the vocational program to get off school early to work retail so they could buy themselves a car. A long time commercial body shop manager ran that program and quit from lack of students. By this time I was a major case Insurance Claims Representative and knew most of the body shop people in the area. The climate for good, trained workers was excellent at the time.

Since i have retired I have little contact with the "real world" and can only go by what I see just like normal people since I have retired. Alas, no more "insider" information for me.

On the other hand, our county has a fantastic vocational school the size of which most would hardly believe. It seems to be doing well.

However, in my semi-upscale neighborhood nary a teen ager is to be seen cutting grass, etc. They are too busy to work. Everyone in my neighborhood employs professional yard people, as an example.

It is NOT the young men and women who are the problem, it is the lack of parenting exhibited. Your positive experience would support that, I believe.

We have an extremely active junior shooting program at my home gun club. Those young men and young women are exemplary in both behavior and skill levels. We have a few sixteen and seventeen year olds who would blow your socks off with a small bore rifle. This only comes from application and desire (that pretty much springs from good parenting). We have excellent trained instructors that can really relate to young people and the results show it.

Dale53

casterofboolits
02-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Both my daughters are RN's and growing up had rules and chores at home. Both were exceptional students. The oldest became a good shade tree mechanic and does her own brake jobs and other maintenance.

I gave her my old 73 charger when she was in high school, but she wasn't able to drive it immediatly because it had a leaking "freeze plug" that I wasn't able to fix as I was working 10 to 12 hours a day. She asked me how I would fix it and I described the process. When I got home the next day, she had it fixed. Perfectly. She is now helping to train other hospital personnel in a new computer system.

My youngest works for the same hospital system and had to attend the classes her sister was teaching.

She also thought sizing boolits with the Lee "hammer die" was great fun when she was seven.

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Today I got to help an older guy (70's) showed him around casting . . . he has been reloading for years, but is interested in casting for his hand guns.

My wife goes to a sewing class with his wife, and . . . well wifes gotta talk about something . . .

So I showed him some stuff, and this website! I wasn't casting today, but explained alot about the choices . . . I think he is gonna get hooked BAD! :lol:

He will have to come back when I have the lead heated up.

Bloodman14
03-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Geargnasher, I wish to have you run as my Vice-President, and Dale53, you as my Speaker of the House or my Attorney General. You two have been raised the RIGHT way, and we need to pass that knowledge on.

Jethro44mag
03-14-2011, 07:59 PM
I was taught when I was very young to be responsible for you're actions good or bad. Now that I am a parent of a 6 & 11 year old we go to the school functions and I notice that not very many parents are teaching the core values that I learned when I was a kid. My son is 6 and he loves shooting his little chipmunk 22. I teach my son and daughter all I know, and hopefully they are willing to learn. That is all I can do as a parent.

Jethro