PDA

View Full Version : Is "Western" still a headstamp?

Buckshot
02-11-2011, 04:16 AM
................And if not, anyone know when they stopped? I haven't seen it in quite awile myself. What brings it to mind is I happened to glom onto a couple hundred once fired nickle 38 Spl cases headstamped Western.

..............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
02-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Rick--

Western nickeled cases for 38 Special are illegal for use in S&W Model 14 revolvers. Has to do with the Assault Weapons Ban. They are only lawfully usable in Colt OMT revolvers, last time I checked. If you mail them here in a FRB, .gov will never know you had them. I promise.

I don't have a firm answer about the "Western" marque's phase-out. Been a while, though. I recall seeing "W-W" headstamps on agency brass/ammo for most of my career (1977-2005), and only toward the end were the casings starting to be stamped just "WINCHESTER" or "WIN".

Bret4207
02-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Been awhile since I saw Western branded items. I'm guessing the mid to late 70's.

A lot of the names we grew up with are gone- Western, Peters, Monark, CIL, Dominion. All gone, just like my hair.

BTW- Nice of Dippity Al to try and keep you out of prison. I believe you owe him lunch at the least, if not more...much, much more!!!

Jim
02-11-2011, 08:27 AM
HEAD STAMP CODES (http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm)

Eutectic
02-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Western marked boxes went into the early 70's.... But 'Western' headstamps stopped in the early 60's; going to 'WW'.

Eutectic

AZ-Stew
02-11-2011, 03:17 PM
HEAD STAMP CODES (http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm)

Good list, but " *-* " (Starline) is missing. Don't know about any others.

Regards,

Stew

Buckshot
02-12-2011, 03:39 AM
.............Thanks all. The new ammo I've bought since I can't remember when has been 22RF, and thinking back it DID seem quite some time since I'd seen the "WESTERN" headstamp. All these cases have an apparent red sealant around the primer. On the case mid-body is a knurl type cannelure and between it and the casemouth is a rolled crimp? Nice brass anyway:-)

Al, I sure appreciate your offer to take this possible illegal brass of my hands. If it's illegal in a K38 Smith, how is it shooting it from a Model 67?

...............Buckshot

*Paladin*
02-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Virtually ALL USGI 9mm brass is marked WCC (Western Cartridge Co.), to this day...

9.3X62AL
02-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Rick, in the Model 14, it's a for-sure felony. :) In the 67, a P.C. 17(b)4 plea-down to a misdemeanor is likely. You are a wild one, that is a fact.

Paladin, some of the WWB ammo is marked "WCC" as well. That slipped my mind until you brought up the 9mm info.

deltaenterprizes
02-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Virtually ALL USGI 9mm brass is marked WCC (Western Cartridge Co.), to this day...

The "W" is for WINCHESTER.

Eutectic
02-13-2011, 06:38 PM
I thought the question pertained to 'WESTERN' spelled out on the headstamp, not an abbreviation.

If abbreviations are fair game then the older Super Speed (Winchester) and Super-X (Western) became 'WW Super' some 40 years back. Today... 'WW Super' has been largely replaced by 'Winchester' (spelled out) in the newer and more popular calibers. Several of the older and less popular brass still is stamped 'WW Super' however and that second 'W' is an abbreviation for 'WESTERN'.

Eutectic

spqrzilla
02-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Winchester bought Western in the '20's if memory serves. The trademark was continued for quite a long time. Can't recall the last time I had seen it used. The USPTO says that "Winchester-Western" as a trademark was cancelled in 1980. "Winchester Western Super XX" was cancelled in 1988.

Johnch
02-13-2011, 07:43 PM
I seem to remember a few years back
Winchester put out some Cowboy action loads
In a box that had Western on it

Not sure if the cart. head stamp also had Western on it

John