PDA

View Full Version : 2700 Carnuba Red

KCSO
11-14-2006, 10:45 AM
I got a Batch of this stuff from Lar 45 and I have to say this is as good a bullet lube as I have ever used. I'm sold and for this price I can't aord to make my own. If you need some GOOD lube for those hunting loads get a hold of Lar45.

BrushBuster
11-14-2006, 02:15 PM
KCSO, I would like to second your comments on Lar45 and his Carnauba lube.

I'm not extensively experienced with boolit lube, and quite frankly did not want to get into the science and mystery of it all. I just wanted a good lube that would take the doubt out of whether I was using the right product. To do that, the lube had to prevent all leading, contribute to accuracy, allow me to attain higher velocities and keep my barrel clean. Carnauba Red does all that, and quite frankly I am under the impression after testing it extensively that I never need to clean my barrels! They come away after each shooting session looking like they have just been polished and are totally clear with the rifling sharply defined and shiny. For a relative newbie to shooting cast, the boolit lube aspect is a non issue.

When I purchased lube from Lar45 I got 2 lbs. of his 50-50 as well, but must admit that I have not tried it yet. I'm so enamoured with CR that I can't see the need for experimenting and can only hope the 50-50 won't die of old age because I won't let myself run out of CR!
I've been collecting Carnauba wax which is available as a coating on a number of quality cheeses, and will add this to the 50-50 in time but this is as close to experimentation as I'll get.

There's no doubt who will get my next order. Thanks Lar45 for a great product. :drinks:

Johnch
11-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Shoot , a short time ago I ordered some quarts of Alox to make my own lube and Lar threw in some 50/50 for free .
Customer service like his will spoil a guy

I have been using his Carnauba lube for all my high speed rifle shooting .
Great stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[smilie=1: I just HAD to set up 2 sizers .:drinks:
1 with Lar's 50/50 and the other with his Carnauba lube

Here is a link to his site lsstuff.com lube (http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/) ( White Lable Lube )

Johnch

Idahoan
11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
I would be concerned with the long-term barrel life when using an abrasive product, like wax, anyone seen any studies regarding long-term effects on barrel rifling?

Bullshop
11-14-2006, 05:05 PM
I would be concerned with the long-term barrel life when using an abrasive product, like wax, anyone seen any studies regarding long-term effects on barrel rifling?

I kinda think that everything that goes through a rifle barrel is abrasive to some degree. Seems to me a jacketed bullet being pushed by extreamly hot burning powder the kernals of which are in various stages of combustion and under high pressure from 40,000 to 60,000 psi would be at the top of the list. So using those as a gauge YEA there has been lots of studies on barrel life. So if you look at boolits lubed with wax barrel life should be somewhat better.
How many 22 rim fire barrels have you ever seen shot out? Did you know most all 22 rf ammo is and always has been coated with wax.
Wax is the least of your worries in barrel wear. I have seen more harm done to a barrel with a cleaning rod than wax could ever do.
Any rifled tube has a limited life and it begins to wear from the first shot. More important things to worry about would be powder type, and pressure.
BIC/BS

Ron
11-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Looks like I missed something along the way; how long has carauba wax been classed as "an abrasive product"?

imashooter2
11-15-2006, 07:19 AM

LOL! A test sample of several million has been using wax based lubes for a hundred years or so with no observed ill effects.

calaverasslim
11-15-2006, 07:30 AM
I went with the CR from Lar45 because of the low melt point as compared with Lyman or RCBS. Best move I ever made. In the heat of a Texas summer, you don't even need to plug in the heater. Does fine without it.
Keeps the barrel clean and works great.

Good stuff, maynard.....

44man
11-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks for chipping in about how great Lar's lubes are. I have not seen a better lube anywhere. As you know, I love Felix lube but now that I have been using CR I have a hard time choosing which to use on a batch of boolits. I found both can be mixed in a batch and there is no difference in accuracy or point of impact, unlike some store bought junk that costs much, much more.
But even more important then his great lubes is what a fantastic person Glenn is.
For any of you that shoot holy black, if you have not tried Lar's BPCR lube, you are missing out. I have been a little lax on posting more about how good it is because my new mould I am trying to make has been giving me fits. Throw away the SPG and get some of Lar's lube!

KCSO
11-15-2006, 04:45 PM
A 22 rifle shooting waxed lead bullets shot over 40 thousand rounds with NO measurable wear. I currently have 22 rifles on the rack that shoot cast slugs. I hope I live long enough to put bore wear on every one of them.