PDA

View Full Version : Redfield receiver sights

oldhickory
02-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I found a Redfield receiver sight in the deepest darkest reaches of my safe, I don't remember buying it, I don't know where it came from, or what it fits, (not Mauser, Enfield, Springfield, Winchester M70, Remington 700). Is there a site, illistrated chart,etc that I can try and I.D. this thing? It's a sporting type rather than target type. It mounts on the left side of the receiver of what ever it fits.

JCherry
02-10-2011, 10:36 PM
There was a "no gunsmith" Redfield sight made for the Krag that mounted on the left side of the receiver. It uses a screw on the left side just forward of the sight slide and a screw and hook arrangement on the rear of the sight that hooks into the magazine cutoff hole.

I think there are numerous other weapons for which Redfield could have made a sight mounted on the left side.

If you could post a photo of your sight I'll bet some one here could help you out.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Bret4207
02-11-2011, 07:18 AM
There a book out for collectors on old gunsights. I think the title is "Old Gunsights". Clever, eh? It might have some info. The other way to dig stuff up is to find old Gun Digests, Redfield advertising, sales lists, etc. and see if any numbers or pics match up.

oldhickory
02-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Bret,I kinda hate to spend the bucks on a book to i.d. 1 sight. I was never really a big fan of this "sporting" style where you needed a coin/screw driver to adjust, and Redfield sights aren't numbered or coded. I do have a bunch of old Gun Digest, Shooters Bibles, etc. I'll check them out. Thanks.

excess650
02-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Those for the M70 and 700 look like the Mauser sight, but for the opposite side, so rounded where it meets the receiver. There is a Savage 1899/99 sight that is on the left, but actually mounts on the top. The sight for the Marlin and Winchester lever actions is flat on the back side.

Post some pictures!

oldhickory
02-11-2011, 08:25 AM
There was a "no gunsmith" Redfield sight made for the Krag that mounted on the left side of the receiver. It uses a screw on the left side just forward of the sight slide and a screw and hook arrangement on the rear of the sight that hooks into the magazine cutoff hole.

I think there are numerous other weapons for which Redfield could have made a sight mounted on the left side.

If you could post a photo of your sight I'll bet some one here could help you out.

Have Fun,

JCherry

You may have nailed it. It does only have 1 hole, and it's forward of the sight slide, and has a stamped hook at the rear about center. I even looked at my 1896 Krag yesterday and couldn't readily figure it out, (didn't look like it really fit). Does it use the magizine cover screw for mounting?

I'll see if I can get pictures up today.

woody1
02-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Let's see if this works
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=4277
Regards, Woody

oldhickory
02-11-2011, 01:27 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/krag1894/redfieldsight002.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/krag1894/redfieldsight001.jpg

Okay, I finally managed to get some pictures rolling.

oldhickory
02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks woody, as you can see, the base looks very much like the one in Buckshot's picture, the knobs are different, but the base looks very much like it.

JCherry
02-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Old Hickory,

Definately a Redfield 70 Krag sight with "Hunter" knobs. It is mounted with a longer magazine cover screw. The screw sizes at that point in time were before they were standardized and finding that screw may be difficult. I think a Krag stacking swivel screw or perhaps one from an 03 Springfield can be used by cutting it to the proper length.

You can get the Target elevation and windage knobs to replace the hunter knobs from Numerich Arms.

The sight is mounted to the receiver with the replacement magazine cover screw and the hook goes into the magazine cutoff hole after you remove the magazine cutoff. I do not know how Buckshot got his "hook" into position without removing the Magazine cutoff but from the photo he did.

I have one of these sights with target knobs on my 1896 Krag rifle and it is an extremely good sight. If you shoot your Krag much and like peep sights I strongly recommend that you get the mounting screw and the target knobs and mount it on your Krag. You will not be disappointed.

You can also add a screw in aperture with a smaller peep.

I shoot my Krag about once a month at a side match with our Cowboy Shooters and normally come out on top.

Have Fun,

JCherry

oldhickory
02-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Well, if it's a Krag sight that would explain why I have it. I still don't remember from who, or when I came by it, but at least I now know why I have it. I may have a screw laying around in a parts box, I'll have to check and maybe even put it on my Krag.

Thanks all for the helping out![smilie=w:

Frank46
02-12-2011, 12:49 AM
google larry fellers as he has the various sights listed and you may find out what rifle it fits. Frank

woody1
02-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Your sight looks exactly like the Redfield on one of my Krags. Regards, Woody

Thanks woody, as you can see, the base looks very much like the one in Buckshot's picture, the knobs are different, but the base looks very much like it.