PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning bores

mag_01
11-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Lets throw this out and see what happens----normally clean with shooters choice---Bench Rest 9----brake cleaner----and all looks clean ---bore---- patches--Then swab bore with WD-40 to remove moisture and slightly lube and most of the time will get a black patch-----Whats happening??????? I think the WD-40 is removing lead---certainly looks like it---any Ideas gentlemen???------------ This seems to happen more with using paper towels instead of cloth for patches. the patches are a dark black not a light gray.------Mag

All I want for Chrismass is powder- primers-moulds-cases-and Lead Lead lots of Lead :Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

arkypete
11-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Mag
You being a junior senior of 71, you'll remember the GI bore solvent. The stuff that looked like pureed poop and smelled worse. It was a great carbon cleaner.
This will give you an excuse to hit a couple of gun shows. Clean you barrel as normal and then give it a whirl. The last dozen cans I bought cost $.75 per can.
I had a 25-06 Remington, fouled like crazy. I cleaned it out with Montana Extreme, by corking the muzzle and leaving the rifle setting on it's muzzle over night. I had tried the smelly stuff and the rough bore kept giving me dirty patches.
I used some left over bullets and fire lapped the barrel.
Cleaning is not as much trouble now.
Jim

KYCaster
11-14-2006, 08:56 PM
I had the same thing happen with my Marlin 336 X 35Rem. After about 350 rounds of boolits, I cleaned with Hoppe's and Ed's Red till I got clean patches, then used Nu Finish wax and the patch came out black.
Couple of patches with Hoppe's or Ed's Red......clean again. Repeated about thirty times and still got black patches with Nu Finish.
Finally gave up.....figured the Nu Finish was just polishing out steel.....took almost fifty rounds to get back to the same size groups I had before cleaning!!!
Lesson learned......cleaning guns is bad!!![smilie=1:

Jerry

Beau Cassidy
11-14-2006, 09:49 PM
If you want a clean gun, use Wipe Out. It will show that you only thought you had a clean gun... It takes out EVERYTHING. Nothing is left. Zero. Nada. Nothing.

yodar
11-18-2006, 09:38 PM
MPro7 foam bore cleaner used as instructed by label rebadged as Hoppes Elite removed the copper from the first shooting session with an out of the box M-1 carbine in SEVEN patches.

The stuff is amazing

signed:
Ed's Red User
(yodar)

Buckshot
11-19-2006, 02:17 AM
.............Clean when accuracy suffers. Otherwise a oiled mop downbore, and external wiping with a silicone rag and it's a done deal.

..............Buckshot

Bass Ackward
11-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Finally gave up.....figured the Nu Finish was just polishing out steel.....took almost fifty rounds to get back to the same size groups I had before cleaning!!![smilie=1:

Jerry

Jerry,

Not true. NuFinish patches will be clean to a light gray when all buildup is done. I put in in, let soak and dry and then dry patch. No wear, at all.

When you keep getting stuff like that it generally means that that stuff has a place to hide and there is where you are removing it from. Really smooth bores are done in two patches. At least this is how it works on my stuff.