PDA

View Full Version : uberti 1873 winchester help

gunsbrad
02-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Allright folks, I am getting the itch for one of these. I will set it up for Cowboy action, but do not know if I will shoot that game. It will not be used for hunting just fun.

I have or have had rossi's, marlins, real winchesters. I am looking for comments good or bad about Uberti's offering. I really like the pistol grip oct barrel model.

What say ye oh wise men of the lever gun crowd.

Brad Hurt

Dan Cash
02-09-2011, 10:10 AM
In one of the oricinal calibers, .44 special or .45 Colt loaded at black powder levels you should have a very serviceable and enjoyable rifle. I would shy away from the .357 versions of the 73. The gun is not up to the task. By the way, black powder levels does not mean weak and wimpy. A 200 to 255 grain slug over 30 to 36 grains of 3F in .44-40 or .45 Colt is a potent piece of work

cajun shooter
02-09-2011, 10:53 PM
The 44spl nor 45 Colt were original calibers for the 1873 rifle. It was first made with a new cartridge the 44-40 to answer the 45 Colt.The 45Colt was never chambered in any rifle of that time period because of it's case design which had no rim that could be extracted from the chamber. The 357 model is used in SASS matches with out problem. I will be the first to say that the toggle link rifles such as the Henry 60, 66, and 73 are good fun rifles but if you run Hot Rod ammo through them as a steady diet, you will have problems. If you shoot black powder through them or medium smokeless rounds then you will have years of enjoyment. The 73 is the most popular rifle in cowboy shooting. I don't know your size but a 73 with a full length 24" octagon barrel is over 8 lbs. The 1/2 oct and 1/2 round with pistol grip stock is the most popular stock. The 20" bbl is also the most popular length. The Cowboy Store is where myself and others that I know bought ours. Cody Conagher (alias) uses the stock parts and keeps the brass carrier in the rifle which is better in my mind. Uberti has made the 73 so good that many think they are better than the Winchester stock guns.

blackpowder man
02-10-2011, 01:40 AM
I don't have any first hand experience with them, although I have often admired the henry reproduction rifles over the years. I belong to a yahoo group called the BP-L and almost everyday there are discussions about black powder firearms and related stuff. Anyway the 1873 repros including the Ubertis were a recent debate regarding their safety. According to a couple of gunsmith members they are not suitable for smokeless pressures and lack a safety that Winchester used on the originals that will allow them to fire before the action is completely closed. I know a lot of folks are shooting smokeless out of them, but my understanding with the design means that a failure can can be ugly like a firing pin through the eyeball. I will stick to my 92 winnies and 94 marlins and if I bought a toggle link gun I would only shoot black powder out of it.

ReloaderFred
02-10-2011, 02:39 AM
A good friend of mine is one of the premier gunsmiths for the SASS group of shooters and has designed the most used short stroke kit, plus numerous other parts, including stainless steel magazine springs, hardened screws, front sights, etc. for the Uberti 66's and 73's.

His website is: www.pioneergunworks.com

I suggest you look around on his site and if you have questions, you can either e-mail him or call.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Daddyfixit
02-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't have any first hand experience with them, although I have often admired the henry reproduction rifles over the years. I belong to a yahoo group called the BP-L and almost everyday there are discussions about black powder firearms and related stuff. Anyway the 1873 repros including the Ubertis were a recent debate regarding their safety. According to a couple of gunsmith members they are not suitable for smokeless pressures and lack a safety that Winchester used on the originals that will allow them to fire before the action is completely closed. I know a lot of folks are shooting smokeless out of them, but my understanding with the design means that a failure can can be ugly like a firing pin through the eyeball. I will stick to my 92 winnies and 94 marlins and if I bought a toggle link gun I would only shoot black powder out of it.

WOW! That's food for thought! I hadn't herd about this yet. Maybe some of the SASS shooters could chime in.
I too was looking at trying the cowboy game and would need to have a lever gun to go with my US Arms 45 SAA's

NickSS
02-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I have a henry in 45 colt and it shoots and functions very well. I have thought about getting a 66 or 73 carbine but as yet have not bought one. I use a Rossi 92 for cowboy action shooting.

Dan Cash
02-11-2011, 07:13 PM
The 44spl nor 45 Colt were original calibers for the 1873 rifle. It was first made with a new cartridge the 44-40 to answer the 45 Colt.The 45Colt was never chambered in any rifle of that time period because of it's case design which had no rim that could be extracted from the chamber.

You are quite right Caj, but if you will consider the use of a comma in my post after "original caliber, ...." you must realize that the sentence does not say .44 special or .45 Colt were an original caliber.
Sincerely,
Dan

EDK
02-11-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't have any first hand experience with them, although I have often admired the henry reproduction rifles over the years. .................................................. .................................................. ............ I know a lot of folks are shooting smokeless out of them, but my understanding with the design means that a failure can can be ugly like a firing pin through the eyeball. I will stick to my 92 winnies and 94 marlins and if I bought a toggle link gun I would only shoot black powder out of it.

There was a report in a cowboy shooting or black powder magazine...don't remember which one and too lazy to plow through all of them.......of someone literally getting a firing pin in the eye. If he hadn't had on SAFETY GLASSES, it would have been fatal. Luckily there was a doctor present who took immediate action while the ambulance or ? was on the way. All I remember except there was considerable discussion on the mechanical causes. At the time, I wanted a 44 Special HENRY or 1866 clone and a pair of 44 1872 Open Top replicas...kinda ruined that idea when I read the article.

Four Fingers of Death
02-12-2011, 09:52 AM

I have fired thousands of Magtec and Winchester 44/40 cowboy ammo and my TrailBoss reloads through my 1866 and 1873. No probs.

The early ones were made of iron and as such, were very weak. The toggle system is inheirintly weak, but is smooth and sensible smokless loads are fine. I don't know how they managed it but they now sell a 44mag 1873.

For cowboy or plinking (and no hunting) the 1873 would be the ticket. I have all 44/40s, but wouldn't bother with that round unless you were contemplating Black Powder. For your usage, a 38/357 firing 38Specials would be Grand as the Irish say! I have friends who have put many, many thousands of 38 rounds through theirs and they love them. They are a lovely, slick rifle and pretty accurate, especially with the longer barrels (my 1873 has the long barrel). In Australia, we call them 'U-Beauties!' I intend to use mine for Black powder hunting using soft 200GnRNF boolits.

Grapeshot
02-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Well to begin with, the modern Uberti copies of the 1873 Winchesters are far and above the originals in strength. Uberti redesigned the Bolt and Firing pin to prevent separation and catistrophic failure and injury to the shooter. This is not to say you can load up the .44 Special or .45 Colts to .44 Magnum specs.

Over the last 19 years I have owned three 1873's, three '66's, and one iron framed 1860 Henry. I prefer the '73 in .44-40. I now own ony one short rifle in .44-40, a SRC in .45 Colt, and a '66 carbine in .44-40. The .44-40's I only shoot Black Powder out of, but can shoot smokeless as long as I keep to published loading data by the Ammo and reloading supply companies.

I prefer my .44WCF short rifle, with its octagonal 20 inch barrel because it ballances just right for me. The two carbines with their round barrels are fine for close work, but I still prefer the Short Rifle.

gunsbrad
02-13-2011, 10:44 PM
First, Thanks for all the replies,

I am aware of the strength issues, and for me this is a non starter. I will use mild loads in a straight walled case. Probably .38spl or 45 colt. Haven't decided.

My question is really about quality of new made italian guns. Anybody have any problems with workmanship in the new guns:

Thanks,
Brad

Four Fingers of Death
02-14-2011, 01:13 AM
First, Thanks for all the replies,

I am aware of the strength issues, and for me this is a non starter. I will use mild loads in a straight walled case. Probably .38spl or 45 colt. Haven't decided.

My question is really about quality of new made italian guns. Anybody have any problems with workmanship in the new guns:

Thanks,
Brad

The fit and finish of Uberti guns runs rings around most anything else that didn't come out of high priced custom shop.

cajun shooter
02-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Blackpowder man, You are very wrong about your posting. Take time to study some firearm history before posting a this gun is dangerous statement. The model 60 and 66 came from the factory without the lever safety but are not dangerous guns as thousands of them are shot every week around the world. The 73 which was the last of the toggle bolt guns had a side loading magazine port and the lever safety which makes the rifle unable to fire until the lever pushes it closed. As was posted these guns are better and stronger than any of the original ones built. I have heard of a few problems that were not gun related where a idiot thought he was firing a 155 and loaded his rifle to that charge. There is no stupid test given before a gun purchase. Watch the you tube video of the guy shooting steel plate with a 50 BMG rifle.

Wayne Smith
02-14-2011, 04:18 PM
I too have the short rifle in 44-40 and shoot the Holy Black and the big lube Mav Dutchman bullet. 200 grains at about 1400fps out of the 20" barrel with a compressed load of 38-40gr Goex FFFG.

pale face
09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
I agree with you on the higher strength of the new Uberties in opinion. I was wondering if this was your opinion or you got some info from Uberti or some lab that tested the strength of the toggle action. Where did you com up with the redesign of the bolt and firing pin?