PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand excellent with cast boolits yesterday.

MikeSSS
11-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Shooting started at 40 yards offhand, shooting at a 4.5" diameter round cross section chunk of steel. The M1 hit it every shot.

So I moved to 43 yards and then to 50. The M1 continued to hit it every shot as long as I didn't think about other things or pull the trigger when the sights drifted off the target.

Cast Boolits and the Garand are made for each other. The load was 16 gr of 2400 and the Lee .312", 155 gr Boolit.

As the light faded and fatigue set in I switched to a 1903 A3 and it enjoyed less success. It's hard to hit something you can't see.

The M1 just seems easier to shoot, easier to hold and the sights are easier to see.

Well, gotta go cast some more Boolits.

PS, the only fly in the ointment is that the Boolits shatter when they hit steel so I can't pick up the lead. Fortunately most of the guys shoot hard cast lead out of pistols and they don't cast. :)

hydraulic
11-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Mike: Did that load cycle the action?

MikeSSS
11-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Nope.

That load moves the action a little bit but that's all. I'm using those loads for fun shooting and learning to shoot offhand again. They are very pleasant and easy on the brass too.

I have the rear sight on the M1 set to 800 yards and the sight on the 03 A3 set to 400. These settings get those rifles on at 100 yards and closer. The light load does not rotate the rifle upward before the bullet leaves the barrel as full power loads do.

I have loaded some with 35 gr of BLC2 and some with 36 gr of 4895. Both of those cycled the action but I think it just barely cycled.