PDA

View Full Version : Need to purchase 30-30 brass...

AlanR
02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Any difference in what is commonly available: Winchester, Federal and Remington? Need to press the order button on supplies from Grafs :)

onondaga
02-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I prefer the Winchester because you can actually see the slight discoloring from annealing. This is a good thing. Don't let the minor denting an any new brass case mouths throw you, they get banged around. severe dents can be worked out a little with a closed needle nose pliers by inserting , pushing a little and turning. That will prevent fold over in your sizing die.

The discoloration also tumble polishes away easily. Good idea to size and length check, chamfer and deburr all new brass before priming.

Gary

AlanR
02-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks Onondaga...I have tons of Winchester brass in other cartridges...might as well follow suit.

Alan

Smoke-um if you got-um
02-08-2011, 06:30 PM
When I purchase new brass it's almost always Winchester or Norma. Just something I started a long time ago and now it's 2nd nature. I don't know how many thousands I've bought over the years but have had only a few culls. In the same breath, I load any factory brand I shoot. They all load fine and I can't tell any difference in case life between the various brands. I rarely shoot max. loads and the same components go into all of them with no obvious difference on the target or game. Some like to separate brands and lot numbers etc., and that is fine for target, maximum loads etc. or just if that happens to be your preference. For general purpose plinking or whatever I quit doing it a long time ago. New brass does need to be trimmed and prepped. The only real culls I had were primer pocket holes being way off center or no hole at all.

C1PNR
02-13-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm with Smoke-um.

Winchester mostly with Starline now and then. I ream the flash hole (I know, no need, but I just do it), then size, trim, and chamfer.

theperfessor
02-14-2011, 08:31 PM
In the last couple of months I've received 500 .45AR cases and 500 .44 Mag cases from Starline. Actually got two or three extra cases, they probably just weigh them for bulk packs. All have been resized, primed, and neck expanded with an M-die. I haven't finished loading and shooting any of them so can't comment on life expectancy but there were no visible defects or processing issues. The primers all fit fine, I used a Lee hand priming tool.

For handgun brass ordering direct from them in bulk is the way to go IMHO. Too bad they don't make bottle neck cases.