PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894(1903) tapped holes

danyboy
02-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Bought a Marlin 1894 converted from 44-40 to 45 Colt. Actual sights don't go with my old eyes. Noticed 3 tapped holes on the left of the receiver (.134" diameter, 2 of them 1.624" center center) and 2 behind the hammer (.17" diameter, 1.104" center center). Since I am looking for either a peep sight or a tang sight, if I could use these holes, I wouldn't have to tap new ones.
Could anyone tell me the center center and size of tapped holes would match any of Williams or Lyman peep sights or tang sights ?
Thanks

danyboy
02-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Here is second picture of already tapped holes behind the hammer.
http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/qq261/dan_leonard87/?action=view&current=Marlintappedholes001.jpg

Hurricane
02-08-2011, 11:28 AM
The holes on the left side of the receiver are for a peep sight and will fit both Lyman and Williams. The two outer holes are for the peep sight. The center screw holds something inside the receiver in place. Williams now makes sights to fit those holes and a version to fit scope mounting holes on the top of the receiver. Be sure the one you order fits the side holes. The holes on the tang look like they are for a tang mounted peep sight. It probable fits Marbles and might fit other brands as well. The holes were probably factory drilled and sight companies usually make their sights to fit factory drilled holes.

excess650
02-08-2011, 12:01 PM
The tang sight holes are original, but none of the (3) in the side are. When the old 1894s and 1893s were D&T on the receiver, it was on the TOP, rear, for the Hepburn sight.

Receiver sight holes for the side of the receiver should be roughly .410" CTC.

danyboy
02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
The holes on the left side of the receiver are for a peep sight and will fit both Lyman and Williams. The two outer holes are for the peep sight. The center screw holds something inside the receiver in place. Williams now makes sights to fit those holes and a version to fit scope mounting holes on the top of the receiver. Be sure the one you order fits the side holes. The holes on the tang look like they are for a tang mounted peep sight. It probable fits Marbles and might fit other brands as well. The holes were probably factory drilled and sight companies usually make their sights to fit factory drilled holes.
Hurricane,
1. The center screw doesn't hold anything inside the receiver.

2. 'Be sure the one you order fits the side holes: this is exactely what I am trying to do here by asking. Calling the Williams and Lyman companies didn't do much.

3. It probable fits Marbles and might fit other brands as well. The holes were probably factory drilled and sight companies usually make their sights to fit factory
drilled holes. Samething, trying to make sure before ordering.

danyboy
02-08-2011, 01:07 PM
The tang sight holes are original, but none of the (3) in the side are. When the old 1894s and 1893s were D&T on the receiver, it was on the TOP, rear, for the Hepburn sight.

Receiver sight holes for the side of the receiver should be roughly .410" CTC.

.410" for what brand/model of peep sight would this measurement be for ?