PDA

View Full Version : musket cap dimensions

edsmith
02-08-2011, 04:32 AM
I have searched for the dims. for the musket cap with out the wings, can not find any. does any one know what they are? thanks Ed

Baron von Trollwhack
02-08-2011, 08:29 AM
I Have the Dynamit Nobel #1081FL musket caps without flanges. They measure 0.0239" tall, the top diameter is 0.024", the open end diameter is 0.0255. The open end slightly flares about midway from the top toward the open diameter. Other than the flanges, they are exactly the same as the Dynamit Nobel #1081 flanged caps.

Traditionally they were a bit cheaper than the Top Hats, so I used them for practice, as the priming charge was exactly the same as the wingless. They required too much fumbling about to use for rapid fire with the musket. BvT

oldhickory
02-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Ed, here's what I get with a quality dial caliper on a typical German winged musket cap;

Height-.235"

Outside dia.-.240"

Wings-.420"

Inside dia.-.225"

I've shot tens of thousands of these, (at least) when I shot N-SSA competition from 1973-1998 firing original civil war era shoulder arms. The only guns that gave so much as a lick of trouble using them was the U.S. M-1855 rifles with the Maynard tape primer locks and Sharps with the Lawrence primer, (they fit fine, but it's a little slower getting them on if you have big fingers). I never used non-winged caps, but I'm guessing they're about the same dimensions, just without the wings.

Just being nosey here. What are you using them on?

edsmith
02-08-2011, 03:46 PM
old hickory, the tap-o-cap has gone the way of the dodo bird, so I though I would work up the dies for the#10 cap,the #11 cap and the musket cap. Ed

oldhickory
02-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Sounds like a great idea! Best of luck! Oh, they do taper to fit the cone, do you need more precise measurements?