PDA

View Full Version : Why do I bother with the handbooks?

Silent
02-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Why is it that the cast boolit handbooks never have any data for the boolits I'm actually casting? [smilie=b:

Probably because my handbooks are Lyman and my molds are mostly Lee's :roll:

Just ranting. Ignore me :mrgreen:

btroj
02-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Use the data as a guide. Bullets of similar weight and similar design will give similar pressure. As long as you are not trying to redline things it works well.
Or just buy the Lee book.

No need to rant, just research things and start low. Work up in small amounts. Learn. That is what this is all about.

Keep your chin up.

Brad

Buckshot
02-08-2011, 01:36 AM
..............Get the Lee reloading manual. It lists lead loads (NOT design specific, but goes by weight) for both cast and jacketed. Gives you a place to start and is pretty much just a compilation form many sources.

.................Buckshot

XWrench3
02-08-2011, 07:03 AM
at least the lyman book uses powders that i do. the lee manual uses a lot of stuff i have only seen in their book. i agree with btroj, use the data closest to what you are useing. i run lee molds also, and that is what i do. it is almost always safe to use the next heavier bullet data.

Shiloh
02-08-2011, 07:25 AM
They are a manual or guide. They have start charges as well as maximum loads. The weights given on boolit molds are for a specific alloy usually, and my boolits never weigh exactly what the manufacturer says they will.

It is the responsibility of the reloader to find a boolit that is close to the given data, start on the low end of the spectrum and work up carefully. I rarely go up to maximum loads in given data. My best performance and accuracy seems to fall in the mid-range area.

Shiloh

Bret4207
02-08-2011, 08:05 AM
I own and use manuals and books going back well into the 1930's or before. The data and information is still pertinent. It's data, information, not a recipe.

NHlever
02-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Data is where you find it. I have even used jacketed bullet information for the same weight, or heavier bullets in some calibers like the 35 Remington where full house cast data is scarce. The new Lyman does have data for some Lee bullets, and I find that a nice change.

Silent
02-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I do understand all that, I'm just disappointed that a "Cast Bullet Handbook" doesn't cover more types and manufacturers of cast boolits. I do use the manuals I have, and the internet to come up with what I believe to be safe initial load data for the boolit and powder that I'm using, and work up from there. I've already worked up stable and accurate loads for both my 9mm and my 30-30, and I'm just starting the process for my new SP101 .357

I was just venting.

big dale
02-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Each time I buy a new manual I wonder the same thing. What has worked for me thru the years is to get the lists by the powder manfacturers, reduce by 10% and work up .5 grain at a time while testing and stop when the accuracy goes away. I have been doing this since the mid-60's and have only found 2 guns that produced best accuracy at max loads.

I still buy a new manual every once in a while and wonder why I do. My latest is the new Lyman Manual of Casat boolits, and I found that my favorite handgun powder (Herco) was seldom listed for any of the calibers that I often load. I wanted to get some ideas on how to load for my new 357 Sig, but it was not covered in the new book.

Have fun with this stuff.
Big Dale

Jim
02-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I have one of those caliber specific manuals for every caliber I load. It's a compilation of data from other manuals, as well as powder mfgrs. I find a lot more data, especially for CBs, like that.

454PB
02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I never throw a reloading manual away, and try to buy at least 1 new one each year.

One of my favorites for cross reference is the Speer #11. For some reason, it has the hottest loads in general I've seen. Anything listed as maximum in that one I take as REALLY maximum.

Wayne Smith
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I do understand all that, I'm just disappointed that a "Cast Bullet Handbook" doesn't cover more types and manufacturers of cast boolits. I do use the manuals I have, and the internet to come up with what I believe to be safe initial load data for the boolit and powder that I'm using, and work up from there. I've already worked up stable and accurate loads for both my 9mm and my 30-30, and I'm just starting the process for my new SP101 .357

I was just venting.

It's not "a Cast Bullet Handbook" it's the "Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook". I don't expect data for Speer bullets in the Serria Manual or vice versa, and I don't expect WW powder data from the Ramshot manual.

Part of what this community is for is to educate beyond the manuals - to teach how to safely load outside the specifics - most specifically handmade boolits and bullets and surplus powders.

02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Back in '86, RCBS published their Cast Bullet Manual, number 1 (there was never a number 2). It can still be found on ebay. To the displeasure of a few, it covers only RCBS moulds.

ChuckS1
02-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I never throw a reloading manual away, and try to buy at least 1 new one each year.

One of my favorites for cross reference is the Speer #11. For some reason, it has the hottest loads in general I've seen. Anything listed as maximum in that one I take as REALLY maximum.

My "go to" for hot loads is Speer #8, if only for the .38 Special 158 grain LSWC data. If there was ever an example of having other manuals to cross reference before loading near or at max, the .38 Special 158 grain LSWC load using 9.0 grains of SR4756 would be it.

9.3X62AL
02-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Some of the older Speer data was downright intrepid. Isn't it *nice* that lawyers and other such social engineers got ahold of that evil information and moderated it? Must be For The Children. Of course.

Silent, feelings like yours gave rise to this site originally. Reloading data manuals give a good representation of what needs doing to assemble good ammunition, but are not an all-inclusive recipe book guaranteeing success. We all caution each other against extrapolation of data, and this is generally good advice--but a little of that practice is almost a requirement in order to adapt to the variances you and others have mentioned in this thread. As long as a shooter/reloader isn't trying to strain the very last FPS out of his load, all should go well.

Another ^^^^^ for the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1. It's dated, for sure--but it has one of the best listings for 32 Magnum cast boolit data I've ever found in print.

Silent
02-08-2011, 06:03 PM
I defiantly dig this site! Tons of very good information to be had here. A simple search on Google of ".357 unique site:castboolits.gunloads.com" yields more information for starting loads than the books I have ever could. And if I expand it to include all sites, there's even more information. It seems the internet has made books obsolete.

Baron von Trollwhack
02-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Of course the more research info you have and the more you use it the better you are able to go where no author has gone before....................in your actual practice. BvT

bhn22
02-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Feel free to load as you wish. It's your decision. Do what pleases you.

tackstrp
02-08-2011, 10:19 PM
I gave up on buying new manuals. i go online for the powders i use or in the case of any Ramshot powder send and email . Still have manual i purchased 20 years ago, collecting dust

HighHook
02-08-2011, 10:22 PM
reloading 35 years ago there was no internet to ask questions on how to do. Today you dont even need a book. Just google the cartridge and press print...

SkookumJeff
02-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Give a man a fish, he's fed for a day, teach a man to fish, he can feed himself for a lifetime.

I'm not a religious person, but I believe in these words.

I have about a dozen reloading manuals, plus many other related sources of information. Like others, I buy new reloading books on a regular basis and I've been at this for thirty years. One of my all time must have favorite reloading 'books' is Pet Loads. I love this book and find it to be a tremendous resource for reloading. In this book, and other reloading manuals as well, you'll find information on how to develop a load. Learn how to work up a load, using data from various sources to give you a starting point, and learn how to effectively evaluate a load for pressure. If you learn these techniques you will be able to develop a load using any combination of components for any firearm.

My .02 cents. Happy trails.

Iowa Fox
02-09-2011, 02:16 AM
Buy as many different books/manuals as you can afford, including old, new, and out of print. From there hang around here and I guarantee you will find what you are looking for.

nicholst55
02-09-2011, 02:28 AM
The 'new' Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook surprised me, as they do list data for some 'other' cast bullets. Not all-inclusive, by any means, but they do list some.

Now, if they still listed 'Ruger-only' .45 Colt data...

Bret4207
02-09-2011, 07:43 AM
My "go to" for hot loads is Speer #8, if only for the .38 Special 158 grain LSWC data. If there was ever an example of having other manuals to cross reference before loading near or at max, the .38 Special 158 grain LSWC load using 9.0 grains of SR4756 would be it.

Ssssshhhhhh!!! Lets not be letting on about old #8. That one stays on the shelf, only to be pulled out when the moon phase is correct and I have the toe nail clippings from a 21 year old gorgeous virgin ( a rare, very rare, event these days) to add tot he pot before venturing into the "intrepid" territory!

That was one of the books I "started" with. No wonder I had the fireballs I did!

You know, one of our younger regulars here got all bent over a manual he bought some time back because the powders he wanted to use weren't listed at all. He was rather hot over it, understandably in one sense I suppose. But it's data, information. Finding a powder burn rate chart allows you to get information for a powder you ahve that's close, it's a starting point, same with similar wt boolits or case capacity.

Maybe our younger generation is just spoiled by the information overload we have today. No one has to "try it and see" anymore, you just Google the subject and it's all laid out in black and white and full color pictures. Kind of takes the fun out if it for me.

Now, OTH, if you want to talk about a waste of money, consider the A Square "Any Load You Want!" manual I spent close to $40.00 hard earned dollars on a few year s back. The title should be changed to "Any Load You Want Won't Even Be Close To What You Find In Here!!!" I suppose it'd be real handy if I was shooting a .600 A Square Tyrannosaur...

Baron von Trollwhack
02-09-2011, 09:37 AM
I know that before my Gastroenterologist sees me again, I will ask him if he is still studying for his board certification exam that is coming up around my next colonoscopy time.

I would feel badly if he said "Why I havent opened the books since I graduated and got my first license. That was only ten years ago. I do visit a great forum though and some of the folks there have SUPER ! opinions."

BvT