PDA

View Full Version : Ladle casting question

SkookumJeff
02-07-2011, 07:45 PM
OK, I will be casting my first boolits ever in my life. I decided to ladle cast cause it seems more traditional and simpler than using a bottom pour furnace. I will be using a Lyman ladle. As I understand the process, you place the pour spout of the ladle right in the sprue hole on the mould and pour.

How do you know when the boolit cavity is full and to stop pouring? Is it a time interval or is there something to see :?:

Or...

Do you hold the ladle pour spout just above the sprue hole and pour where you can see the stream of molten lead flowing into the mould :?:

I guess I could just try both methods and see what works best, but if anyone has as strong opinion, I'd like to know...

Sully
02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
OK, I will be casting my first boolits ever in my life. I decided to ladle cast cause it seems more traditional and simpler than using a bottom pour furnace. I will be using a Lyman ladle. As I understand the process, you place the pour spout of the ladle right in the sprue hole on the mould and pour.

How do you know when the boolit cavity is full and to stop pouring? Is it a time interval or is there something to see :?:

Or...

Do you hold the ladle pour spout just above the sprue hole and pour where you can see the stream of molten lead flowing into the mould :?:

I guess I could just try both methods and see what works best, but if anyone has as strong opinion, I'd like to know...

The molten lead actually OVERFLOWS the cavity and comes out on top of the sprue plate....thats what you "smack" to make it pivot and cut off the sprue and then you have a "perfect" boolet!!

white eagle
02-07-2011, 08:18 PM
at first you won't get any boolits
you need to get the mold up to your desired temp
and then the cores will fill
over flow them to make a nice sprue puddle
and you really do not have to hold rite on the sprue hole
time and repetition will bring you into the game
best o luck amigo

bumpo628
02-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Just make sure that the overflow from all the holes are connected so little hot bits of lead don't go flying in every direction when you break the sprue.

RU shooter
02-07-2011, 09:01 PM
You can do it that way ,I just pour the lead in the hole from about an inch away and never really had any issues Just hold the mould level and pour till you get a nice puddle.

Tim

stubshaft
02-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't usually hold the ladle in contact with the sprue. That is called pressure pouring and usually (for me anyway) causes fins around the base and the seam. I usually pour a stream about 1/2" above the sprue plate and stop once a puddle develops.

Bret4207
02-08-2011, 08:09 AM
It depends on what your particular mould wants. I have some that need contact pouring and others that demand an air drop. The smart thing to do is to observe what they like and WRITE IT DOWN so you don't have to spend 20 minutes re-discovering the "secret" to that mould the next time you cast with it.

WILCO
02-08-2011, 08:13 AM
It depends on what your particular mould wants. I have some that need contact pouring and others that demand an air drop. The smart thing to do is to observe what they like and WRITE IT DOWN so you don't have to spend 20 minutes re-discovering the "secret" to that mould the next time you cast with it.

Thanks Bret. I learned something new today. [smilie=p:

Hickory
02-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Some mould do not vent as well as they should.
I have three moulds that will only fill out when they are pressure poured.
And again let me say that some moulds need the pressure pour method
only until they come up to temperature.
No matter what happens don't get frustrated, it's part of the learning curve.

44man
02-08-2011, 09:24 AM
I have a drawer full of molds of all kinds plus all I made myself. I pour every one the same way. I turn the mold sideways, stick the ladle spout tight into the hole, tip up and hold the ladle tight until the boolit takes all the lead it needs for the boolit out of the ladle. Each size boolit takes a little different time with small ones filling faster. I then tip the ladle off, leaving a sprue. A large boolit takes only a few seconds more and even 560 gr pure lead boolits are perfect.
I never depend on fill out by the boolit trying to pull more lead from a cooling sprue. I don't believe you can "pressure" pour from a ladle, it does not hold enough lead or weight.
It is common for me to bring up the mold and lead to temp and cast 20 to 40# out of my pot without a single reject. If I get one bad boolit it is my fault. Every single mold I have responds to this method with perfect boolits, I need no records. :Fire:
If I have to look up records to see what a mold prefers, I will quit casting. Been doing the same thing for over 56 years, never found a mold that needed special treatment. :drinks:
I just cast a pot full of .475 boolits yesterday and had one with a round base. The spout started to leak because I didn't wipe it soon enough. Keep the spout clean, as soon as it starts to leak, wipe it with a cotton rag.
Keep the hole open. I dump out the lead now and then and tap the ladle on the edge of my dross can, upside down, to make sure the hole is wide open.
I cast right over the pot and cut spues into a large coffee can. There are no splatters anywhere, nothing on the bench or floor, nothing running all over the molds.
It gets so easy that casting bores me silly! :violin:

SkookumJeff
02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
This is all really helpful to me. The beer is on me, thanks everyone!!!

Bret4207
02-09-2011, 08:20 AM
I have a drawer full of molds of all kinds plus all I made myself. I pour every one the same way. I turn the mold sideways, stick the ladle spout tight into the hole, tip up and hold the ladle tight until the boolit takes all the lead it needs for the boolit out of the ladle. Each size boolit takes a little different time with small ones filling faster. I then tip the ladle off, leaving a sprue. A large boolit takes only a few seconds more and even 560 gr pure lead boolits are perfect.
I never depend on fill out by the boolit trying to pull more lead from a cooling sprue. I don't believe you can "pressure" pour from a ladle, it does not hold enough lead or weight.
It is common for me to bring up the mold and lead to temp and cast 20 to 40# out of my pot without a single reject. If I get one bad boolit it is my fault. Every single mold I have responds to this method with perfect boolits, I need no records. :Fire:
If I have to look up records to see what a mold prefers, I will quit casting. Been doing the same thing for over 56 years, never found a mold that needed special treatment. :drinks:
I just cast a pot full of .475 boolits yesterday and had one with a round base. The spout started to leak because I didn't wipe it soon enough. Keep the spout clean, as soon as it starts to leak, wipe it with a cotton rag.
Keep the hole open. I dump out the lead now and then and tap the ladle on the edge of my dross can, upside down, to make sure the hole is wide open.
I cast right over the pot and cut spues into a large coffee can. There are no splatters anywhere, nothing on the bench or floor, nothing running all over the molds.
It gets so easy that casting bores me silly! :violin:

Once again your ego is filling your posts! What works for you doesn't work for every one else judging by the posts we get year after year here. It's great that you have a system that works FOR YOU, but please, give the rest of us some wriggle room to discover what works for us. Any noobie reading that post will assume he's just GOT to do it your way or he's a retard. That's not helping things.

pdawg_shooter
02-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Bret, again you nailed it. For me, air drop works far better than contact poring. Everyone needs to play a little and find what works best for them. Maybe I am to picky, I weigh and inspect under magnification all my cast bullets. I dont think I have ever had a 100% save rate. If I save 90% I consider it a great day. I would say 80% is about my average.

44man
02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Once again your ego is filling your posts! What works for you doesn't work for every one else judging by the posts we get year after year here. It's great that you have a system that works FOR YOU, but please, give the rest of us some wriggle room to discover what works for us. Any noobie reading that post will assume he's just GOT to do it your way or he's a retard. That's not helping things.
No ego Bret, just too many years of experience. I invite you to bring all of your molds over so I can show you how easy it is.
I have been casting something, from sinkers and jigs since I was 10, to boolits for over 56 years and I am 73 now.
Sure, I tried all that many of you post, over and over all these years and every thing brought up different results. Not worth the trouble.
I have friends that can't get a boolit from ANY mold, no matter what they do and I can't help them. Others I have had here casting took some time but now they cast like I do, I teach the easy way.
I feel it is many of you that have to have a different process for each mold that really confuse a new guy.
The key question is how many rejects do all of you get? Why do you have to cull or weigh boolits?
I scratch my head when someone says this mold has to have the ladle an inch above the mold! To tell the truth some of you also confuse me, do you ever think of what you do to a new caster?
I forgot, one mold needs 700*, the next needs 750* but this one needs 701* but that one needs 850*!!!!! What is that all about.
I also love the guys that pour and cut a wet sprue with a glove, bet they are good casting mercury boolits. :mrgreen:
It is some of you that put too much mystery into casting and add years to the learning process.
I wonder how a foundry would survive if they had to change for every mold?

pdawg_shooter
02-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Ok, I was wrong. There is only one way, your way. All moulds are equal and so are all alloys. A bad bullet, (light, wrinkled, round base, unfilled bands, whatever) all shoot into the same hole. My bad. I only have 45 years of casting so I guess I will learn someday.

Floydster
02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Why does just about every thread turn into a pissing match---can't we all just get along? I just don't understand it:(

badbob454
02-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Why does just about every thread turn into a pissing match---can't we all just get along? I just don't understand it:(

i agree lets try to help the guy and leave our feelings aside we are all casters and have our own opinions i have mine and will let you have yours but if we all cast good enough , let us all learn and not be bullheaded and help the new guy withought a urin contest :takinWiz:

Bret4207
02-09-2011, 08:44 PM
No ego Bret, just too many years of experience. I invite you to bring all of your molds over so I can show you how easy it is.
I have been casting something, from sinkers and jigs since I was 10, to boolits for over 56 years and I am 73 now.
Sure, I tried all that many of you post, over and over all these years and every thing brought up different results. Not worth the trouble.
I have friends that can't get a boolit from ANY mold, no matter what they do and I can't help them. Others I have had here casting took some time but now they cast like I do, I teach the easy way.
I feel it is many of you that have to have a different process for each mold that really confuse a new guy.
The key question is how many rejects do all of you get? Why do you have to cull or weigh boolits?
I scratch my head when someone says this mold has to have the ladle an inch above the mold! To tell the truth some of you also confuse me, do you ever think of what you do to a new caster?
I forgot, one mold needs 700*, the next needs 750* but this one needs 701* but that one needs 850*!!!!! What is that all about.
I also love the guys that pour and cut a wet sprue with a glove, bet they are good casting mercury boolits. :mrgreen:
It is some of you that put too much mystery into casting and add years to the learning process.
I wonder how a foundry would survive if they had to change for every mold?

I would love to see you use your "one and only way" with a 10 cavity H+G. Look, I have respect for you and your age and experience, but there is no one and only way.

woodyubet
02-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Well Jeff, things like this happen sometimes, you just have to pick thru all the editorials and find the nuggets of education to keep in mind. There are as many ways to do things as there are people to do them. The main thing is to get out there and do it for yourself. In very short order your going to find the path that is right for you and you can smile with pride cause you did it yourself................Don't forget to wear your Green Soxs when Smellting and Purple Soxs when casting.

Make it fun first.

longbow
02-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, I am with 44man for the most part. Not saying other ways don't work by any means but I like to keep things as simple as I can.

I tried the Lyman ladles, Lee little open ladle (too small) and bottom pour pot. Didn't like any of those.

I found the method that worked for me the best was a 25 lb. cast iron pot on a two gas stove and an open ladle that holds about 1 1/2 lbs. I pre-heat the mould over one burner while melting lead over the other burner. I pour from the ladle a little above the sprue hole until the mould fills and I have a puddle ~ like others said above using the Lyman ladle. For me this has worked for every mould I have and produces good boolits and with every alloy I have tried.

Most people seem to like electric bottom pour pots and that's fine too. Whatever turns your crank.

If I get a "problem" mould I check venting and sprue plate tightness. I like to run a loose sprue plate and that often solves base fillout issues. A couple of times I have added a very small bevel to the top of the mould blocks under the sprue plate to provide extra venting where bases didn't fill out well.

Some moulds like to run a little hotter so I cast a little faster and may turn up the heat under the lead a bit but the technique and equipment is the same.

woodyubet says it well "...you just have to pick thru all the editorials and find the nuggets of education to keep in mind. There are as many ways to do things as there are people to do them."

I bet you didn't think you would get such a variety of responses! Try a few different techniques and see what works for you.

Good luck and enjoy.

Longbow

44man
02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
There are always disagreements, I accept that and am not trying to change anyone. I just tell you what I do. They are suggestions only.
No Bret, I will not own a gang mold of any kind. But there are days I need a lot of different boolits and will run three, two cavity molds together but normally I use two at a time.
By the time you get an 8 cavity working, I will have a pile of boolits and shut down my pot.
I have to make so many different boolits that my sessions are short, in 2 hours I will have enough of 2 kinds to last a while. I hate casting so I cast as I need boolits and don't want to fool around.
I turn everything on and do something else, then make what I need and shut down.
Lazy and boring demands making things as easy and fast to get working as can be done. Boolit number one must be perfect. :-P

44man
02-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Ok, I was wrong. There is only one way, your way. All moulds are equal and so are all alloys. A bad bullet, (light, wrinkled, round base, unfilled bands, whatever) all shoot into the same hole. My bad. I only have 45 years of casting so I guess I will learn someday.
Nope, never said my way was the only way, I just explained my way so you can take it or leave it.
But where you are wrong is that I do not get ANY wrinkled, unfilled or round base boolits unless I screw one up. None of my boolits need inspected or weighed and I know the bad one when I cast it.
Now you have seen the hundreds of revolver groups I post, how can you say I make bad boolits? [smilie=l:

frankenfab
02-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I hate casting ..........

:holysheep

Where's the "Sacrilege" smilie? [smilie=l:

white eagle
02-10-2011, 10:25 AM
man by the sounds of it I am one lucky
Amigo
I started casting in July 2010 and I can run with the
best of them
I have more molds than sense
why
I even started with a gravy ladle and a Rcbs 10# pot
my advice .........just do it
makes no difference how you get there just start

SkookumJeff
02-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Well Jeff, things like this happen sometimes, you just have to pick thru all the editorials and find the nuggets of education to keep in mind. There are as many ways to do things as there are people to do them. The main thing is to get out there and do it for yourself. In very short order your going to find the path that is right for you and you can smile with pride cause you did it yourself................Don't forget to wear your Green Soxs when Smellting and Purple Soxs when casting.

Make it fun first.

ROFL...no worries. I really want to thank EVERYONE here. I didn't mean to start a flame thread, but it's been entertaining FOR SURE. Being a contrary old opinionated SOB (I proudly call myself a curmudgeon in training), I fully recognize that there is usually more than one school of thought on ANY subject. I've learned a LOT in this thread, every post was of value to me. I'll take it all in, probably try every method described, and figure out what works for ME. What else can a fella do?

It's what a fella SHOULD do, I'll say that. The beer is on me...:drinks:

You all have a good one.

44man
02-10-2011, 06:37 PM
ROFL...no worries. I really want to thank EVERYONE here. I didn't mean to start a flame thread, but it's been entertaining FOR SURE. Being a contrary old opinionated SOB (I proudly call myself a curmudgeon in training), I fully recognize that there is usually more than one school of thought on ANY subject. I've learned a LOT in this thread, every post was of value to me. I'll take it all in, probably try every method described, and figure out what works for ME. What else can a fella do?

It's what a fella SHOULD do, I'll say that. The beer is on me...:drinks:

You all have a good one.
I love your attitude and wish all others would be the same. You have my best wishes to achieve good results. Doesn't matter how you do it.
You are a breath of fresh air so welcome to the best site and forgive us old stick in the mud guys.
By the way, I get beat on more then anyone but I still love all the guys. We will forever be friends so don't take anything wrong.

You all have a good one.[/QUOTE]

Bret4207
02-11-2011, 07:51 AM
There are always disagreements, I accept that and am not trying to change anyone. I just tell you what I do. They are suggestions only.
No Bret, I will not own a gang mold of any kind. But there are days I need a lot of different boolits and will run three, two cavity molds together but normally I use two at a time.
By the time you get an 8 cavity working, I will have a pile of boolits and shut down my pot.
I have to make so many different boolits that my sessions are short, in 2 hours I will have enough of 2 kinds to last a while. I hate casting so I cast as I need boolits and don't want to fool around.
I turn everything on and do something else, then make what I need and shut down.
Lazy and boring demands making things as easy and fast to get working as can be done. Boolit number one must be perfect. :-P

By the time I get a 10 cavity H+G up and working? That's about as long as it takes to get a single cavity up and working! Don't own any gang moulds but you want to say they take a long time to warm up. Huh?:roll:

Look the point is what works for you may not work for someone else. Your method may not work with the common 6 cavity moulds out there. But you poke fun at guys using different methods than your own. Give us some space here guy. There is no "one way".

44man
02-11-2011, 10:10 AM
By the time I get a 10 cavity H+G up and working? That's about as long as it takes to get a single cavity up and working! Don't own any gang moulds but you want to say they take a long time to warm up. Huh?:roll:

Look the point is what works for you may not work for someone else. Your method may not work with the common 6 cavity moulds out there. But you poke fun at guys using different methods than your own. Give us some space here guy. There is no "one way".
I don't really poke fun but I do pull guy's legs now and then, all in fun!
I was pulling your leg too! :kidding::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:
I knew it would excite you.
You should know me by now and I will lift a glass with you any day.
Excuse me, I have to go after Bass a little. He found my hat! [smilie=s:

CollinLeon
06-01-2012, 03:34 PM

I has to suspect that it is because as we get older, we have to get up an pee more often at night... As such, *everything* in life becomes a pissing contest for us...

"We come into this world bald, drooling, and incontinent... And we leave the same way..."