PDA

View Full Version : Boolit variance

bigted
02-07-2011, 05:39 PM
:coffeecom well ive found at least a partial answer to this question that keeps popping up with various answers. i know ive been curiouse as to what limits i need to keep the weight and length of my cast boolits.

calibre is 45-70 [smilie=1:

i cast for 3 single shots...pederosoli 74 sharps,,,winchester 85 hiwall,,,ruger #1. ive always been of the opinion in loading any type boolit be it cast or jacketed that the boolit needs to be just off the lands for any accuracy [in my experience] so this inspired me to set about finding and recording this meassurment for all my singles. in my quest i encountered a strange thing with a remington 405 fp that i use for a ton of my shooting and this is that when loaded to just be maybe .003 off the lands of my ruger...it was setting behind the farthest out crimping chanular. so i dug out 7 of these from a bulk box i use out of and comenced to meassure and weigh them to find out just what the "line" is for a factory jacketed bullet. here is what i found;

length is

weight is

i also meassured the dia of these 7 and came up with from .4582 to .4586 for diameter.

now what my math comes up with from this handfull from a bulk box is this;

the weight diff in these 7 bullets is 1.1 grain
the length diff in these same 7 is .003 inch

i dont know about you all but this is comforting to me as ive been very strict with my cast boolits and thrown back more then i needed to.

just sharing what ive found with some suposed factory purfect bullets compared to my cast boolits

stubshaft
02-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Many people assume factory boolits are uniform. For a real eye opener, try and weigh some of those Hornady swaged round balls for BP.

It'll make you happy you cast.

Shiloh
02-07-2011, 07:34 PM
You will be in for a big surprise when weighing factory bullets. Match bullets are a lot close, but can still vary.

SHiloh