PDA

View Full Version : Looks a little rusty...

John 242
02-07-2011, 04:13 PM
I was trying to find something useful on Ebay and ran across this;

http://cgi.ebay.com/45-cal-bullet-mold-/260731118318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb4c922ee

Thought is was... interesting.
Looks like the poor thing was under water for a while in a leaky basement.
Maybe a Katrina victim?
The seller says he was told that the rust might not be good for the mould. I think he's right. Maybe a little Kroil?

bumpo628
02-07-2011, 04:55 PM
It's dead, Jim.
Just get yourself a nice new Lee mold for $20.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=517501

stubshaft
02-07-2011, 05:00 PM
I just has "frosted" cavities.:kidding:

I saw it the other day and thought some troll will probably buy it for upwards of $40.00 then come here to get tips to "make it work".

eka
02-07-2011, 05:10 PM
"I was told it was not good for this to happen might make a good conversation piece."

Ya think! Wouldn't think one would have to consult an expert on that one.

:D

Jim
02-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh, this is classic!

It is Vinage Bullet Mold.
There's that "vintage", again!

Make (2) two Double Bullets at a time.
Two double bullets? That's a new one on me!

Size is about 11" by 4" by 2". Can not find name or numbers on this mold...
Gee, I wonder why?

This is rusted in the mold part.
Naw, really?

I was told it was not good for this to happen
Imagine that!

might make a good conversation piece.
Yeah, here's a conversation: You're an idiot!

stubert
02-07-2011, 05:13 PM
I saw that one yesterday, you'd think a guy would at least run a wire brush across it, it would double the value. I sell alot of used stuff and the better it looks the more it's worth.

John 242
02-07-2011, 05:16 PM
You guys got me LMAO.

bumpo628
02-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Man, I need to have my sarcasm meter recalibrated. The first time I read your post I thought you were serious...lol
Some people will put anything on ebay.

John 242
02-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Man, I need to have my sarcasm meter recalibrated. The first time I read your post I thought you were serious...lol

Nah, I have enough problems without having to deal with that disaster.
That thing looks awful.

Jim
02-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I saw that one yesterday, you'd think a guy would at least run a wire brush across it, it would double the value. I sell alot of used stuff and the better it looks the more it's worth.

With a user name like yardsaleladypennie , Ya' hafta wonder about the level of experience and intelligence. This is the kind that will try to sell a broken hammer handle as a "vintage" tool handle.

Ben
02-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Now watch some " Loonie " get into a bidding war and bid $200 for the mold ( or better said.....what is left of a mold )

bumpo628
02-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Nah, I have enough problems without having to deal with that disaster.
That thing looks awful.

I half read your post, clicked on the link and said to myself "mother of god!".
I didn't want to say anything negative, so I linked to midway instead.

I realized you were joking when I refreshed...
but seriously, can't people just throw **** away once in a while?

stubshaft
02-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I half read your post, clicked on the link and said to myself "mother of god!".
I didn't want to say anything negative, so I linked to midway instead.

I realized you were joking when I refreshed...
but seriously, can't people just throw **** away once in a while?

One mans garbage is anothers treasure.:kidding:

Hickory
02-07-2011, 07:19 PM
At first I thought it was a vision of our government.

Full of corruption

357maximum
02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
It needs T.L.C is all....

Tossed
or
Lost
or
Covered with dirt

If it makes two double boolits can it only be used for double barrels then?

Personally I do not think it makes double boolits....I think it makes a pair of singles.

GLL
02-07-2011, 07:42 PM
BUT.... "It is Vinage (sic) Bullet Mold." :) :)

The disclaimer indicates it is "fully operational and functions as intended" as well !

Jerry

kenjuudo
02-07-2011, 07:43 PM
If someone gave it to me, I'd HAVE to see if I could get it to cast. Just one of the many ways I'm weird.

jim

Sully
02-07-2011, 07:46 PM
It needs T.L.C is all....

Tossed
or
Lost
or
Covered with dirt

If it makes two double boolits can it only be used for double barrels then?

Personally I do not think it makes double boolits....I think it makes a pair of singles.

"TLC"....Now THAT I like....LMAO

GP100man
02-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Imagine that !!!! Finding a boolit mold while scuba diving !!!

Then imagine trying to sell it !!!!!!

I vote for TLC !!

TCFAN
02-07-2011, 10:17 PM
If someone gave it to me, I'd HAVE to see if I could get it to cast. Just one of the many ways I'm weird.

jim

I am with kenjuudo on this one. The key word is gave........Terry

frkelly74
02-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Clean it up for your 46 or 47. (whatever it takes)

45-70 Chevroner
02-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Ah gee guys, a little bit of navel jelly will clean that thing right up. Looks like it could use a new set of mold handles too. Then, I'm sure it would be worth a whole $1--3.95 .

kweidner
02-09-2011, 09:16 PM
ROFLMAO

I saw it too two days ago......sad thing is somebody might actually buy it....and as we can already tell it has proven itself a "conversation" piece.

Philngruvy
02-09-2011, 09:23 PM
The auction ended, nobody bid on it. Imagine that!

Tom W.
02-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Could it have been the "vintage" handles that caused the paperwei... uhh.. mold to not get any bids?

stubshaft
02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
It'll be relisted on Sunday. Cleaned up a little with a blurb like "don't know much about it as I don't cast. Sold as is"

montana_charlie
02-09-2011, 10:30 PM
The item got relisted with no change that I noticed, and she has a bid on it...

CM

bumpo628
02-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Wow. Somebody actually bid on it.
I was told it was not good for this to happen

Johnny_Cyclone
02-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Now that this mold has achieved celebrity status.

Maybe someone should go ahead and get this mold, do a quick 'n nasty de-rust. With the idea that we pass it from one Castboolits member to the next in a weekly or monthly fashion. Each member then doing a little casting with it and posting the results. Call it... Crusty-Mold Adventures.. or sumpin'

The results of varying alloys,casting methods, and sizing methods. Along with stories of the different cartridges, and firearms the boolits were tried in should make enjoyable reading. :coffeecom:popcorn:

Posts chock full of Crusty-Mold drama. Love, Hate, Trust, and Deception.

Think of it, an on going story of adventure and intrigue. Success and failure. An internet saga about a group of boolit casters working to find what this little crusty underdog mold will bring to the table next.

Yep,...all that entertainment could be right here at our finger tips... and it might be a hoot.

I'd subscribe to that thread in order to keep up on the latest "Adventures of Crusty-Mold". It couldn't be any worse than my local paper...May even lead to new a Discovery channel series called "Heavy Metal" or "Liquefied Love":rolleyes:

Now on another note.
If the seller can't find any numbers how do they know it's a .45 mold.

my guess is #429184

One guess per member.

Guesses from those affiliated with the seller, or members of the sellers family are not eligible to win.

Johnny_Cyclone
02-10-2011, 12:01 AM
What!..someone bid... I didn't see that before.

Now my dream is shattered:cry:.

So much for co-staring in the "Liquefied Love" TV series.
I had so hoped to ride on Crustys coattails to riches, and glory. I know I'm not alone it that respect. I know many of you out there were thinking the same thing. Maybe its for the best. It might have become dog eat dog as we battled for a little taste of the lime light.

Guess someone found out it was a Pre-Floridation, Johnny Horton Proflie, Semi Bevel Base, Salamander Smith Nambu Mold Mark IV.

HangFireW8
02-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Make (2) two Double Bullets at a time.
Two double bullets? That's a new one on me!

You know, Jim. For one of those Double Guns. So you can shoot it twice. :kidding:

nanuk
02-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Wow.... I am VERY surprised that no one here is bidding

after hearing all the banter about "I like a challenge" and then nothing....

And 'specially when Lyman #3 says that a rusty mould cavity can cast superior boolits....
and after blowing up the pic, does appear to have little damage, just LOTS of surface rust
Pitting would be well hidden from view until it was cleaned.

Heck, a little cleaning, some BullPlate on top, and a couple gallons of kroil in the mould, and you'd be good to go!

Oh, and before you say it, she doesn't offer it to Canadian bidders! :(

firefly1957
02-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I had several mold in a box that a cat used to pee in it ruined one mold the rest were salvageable with a good cleaning. I have found with iron or steel muriatic acid(USED OUTSIDE ) works well making it look near new. Never use acid on aluminum it will destroy it.

That mold as is has no value the seller should be ashamed of even putting it up for sale.