PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg MLer barrel

DeanWinchester
02-06-2011, 11:00 PM
I bought a pair of barrels for my Mossberg 500 recently. A slug barrel and .50 cal muzzle loader. I wanted the slugster barrel, but I got decent deal on the pair so I took 'em.

I know precisely diddly squat about muzzle loading.

Does anyone use this barrel on their 500? I'd welcome any input. I may never use it, but I'd like to know a bit about it. It seems there is very limited info in the interwebz about it.

NickSS
02-11-2011, 05:30 AM
I have seen them advertised and thought of buying one but then found out that, at least in my state, they are illegal for use during the ML season so did not go for it. I believe they work with a 209 shotgun primer inserted into the breach plug and the barrel is loaded with black powder or BP substitute and a projectile from th muzzle end and you have to provide a ram rod for seating the load. The one I was looking at could be shot with saboted slugs or regular slugs. I suppose you could also shoot patched round balls.

DeanWinchester
02-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Yeah, that's what I'll use is a patched round ball of pure lead. That stinks that your state won't allow them for MLer season.

rayzer
02-12-2011, 10:17 AM
I had one of those .50 cal barrels for my Mossberg. I never found any loads that shot verey well, in it. I never did try patched roundballs though. It did shoot well enough to drop a 180 Lb. Doe at 25 yrds. There is no removable breech plug on that barrel. I sold that Mossberg shortly after I shot that Doe. The Guy that bought that gun off of me, used it for the muzzleloading deer season the next year. He did not clean the gun as well as I did, and all the parts inside the action were full of rust. Make sure you disasemble the action and clean it verey well.

DeanWinchester
02-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks Rayzer. I always do that anyway, but it's a MUST to remember. I've seen what neglected black powder guns look like. I look at BP much like mil surp corrosive ammo. Clean it well, and double check it a week or so later.

Old Ironsights
02-15-2011, 12:29 PM
The one I had did best with Lee REALs or Traditional Minnies.

Biggest gripe was that the 100% disassembly of the Mossberg action REQUIRED after using it was an amazing PITA.