PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine & CB Loads

ordway
11-12-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm looking for load data for light gallery loads to be used in an indoor range utilizing fast pistol powders that will not damage the carbine. The carbine would be used as a single shot for my 10 year old grandson.
Thanks for your help.

versifier
11-13-2006, 12:53 AM
10-12gr of Alliant 2400 (12.8 was most accurate in mine, 13.6 is listed max) under a Lee soupcan, ACWW, sized .309-.310. Some M1's feed them easily, (mine does) others have trouble, might be solved with a little dremel polishing of the feed ramp like a pistol if it's a problem. Even "hot" .30carb loads do not recoil enough to bother - the cycling of the action is what will take a little getting used to - it's no 10-22 the way it bangs and clunks, that's for sure. I think it's a great centerfire to start a youngster on.

NickSS
11-13-2006, 01:49 PM
For a very light gallery load I used 5 gr of Unique and a Lyman 31108 bullet. You have to load this bullet short so that it will feed. It does not cycle the action so you have to use the rifle as a straight pull.

Will
11-17-2006, 01:52 PM
I use 10.5 to 11gr of 2400 with the Lee 309-112fn. My carbine will only feed if I size them down to .308 or twist the nose into a wad of steel wool to round off the front driving band and slick up the nose. I've gotten 3 shot groups as small as 3/8 in at 25 yds with this load.

TommyT
11-29-2006, 11:45 AM
My pet load for my M1 carbine is 11 grains of 2400 under the Lee 120 grain GC cast bullet. It functioned great and got good accuracy at 50 yards for me. There is almost no recoil and should be great for a young shooter.

Larry Gibson
11-29-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm looking for load data for light gallery loads to be used in an indoor range utilizing fast pistol powders that will not damage the carbine. The carbine would be used as a single shot for my 10 year old grandson.
Thanks for your help.

Be careful, I have had the unpleasant situation of a too light of a load of Bullseye and Unique having just enough oomph to push the bullet past the gas port and then the pressure is vented at the gas port leaving the bullet stuck in the barrel. The first 3 or 4 shots of a light load like this may work fine but as the barrel gets fouled the bullet sticks.

I have a couple such loads as you want but hesitate to recomend them as each carbine seems to have it's own lower limit. Do you have a particular bullet in mind?

Larry Gibson