PDA

View Full Version : gun show yesterday. Snooze you loose

Lloyd Smale
02-06-2011, 06:31 AM
buddy and i went to a show about 50 miles from home. Just a small show that didnt have much. I did make one good score though. I was talking to another guy i know and his buddy walked up with a rifle in a case he was selling. I asked what it was and he told me a 94 marlin in 357. Told me he wanted 250 bucks for it and i bought it on the spot. Ive been looking for another 300 mag for crop damage shooting and really wanted a 300wby. They had exactly the gun i wanted there a 700 bdl stainles rem. Guy wanted 700 bucks for it and i offered him 650 and he turned me down. Should have bought it anyway but i was just to bull headed. Then i found a rem cdl that was like new in 300 rem ultra mag. It had a great price of 550 but i really wanted a wby mag. I went home with the marlin. When i got home i told the wife about the deal on that ultra and she said id better get back there and buy it. So we hopped in the truck and drove all the way back. Got there about 4pm and found out the show ended a 3pm and was over. Every other gun show ive ever been to up here went fri sat and sun. Not this one! Looks like I loose cause i dont have a clue who the seller was. Funny thing is i did the exact same thing last year there. A guy had a smith j frame 357 3 inch adjustable sighted gun at a good price and i left it on the table and went home and drove all the way back and it was sold. I really have to learn to quit hesitating!

Bret4207
02-06-2011, 09:29 AM
I can't imagine spending more than $500.00 for a gun. That's the price of a "new" truck for me.

imashooter2
02-06-2011, 10:43 AM
I can't imagine spending more than $500.00 for a gun. That's the price of a "new" truck for me.

Well then I guess you aren't buying many new guns or trucks... [smilie=1:

Time marches on. The 90's are gone.

Jack Stanley
02-06-2011, 10:58 AM
One of my own gun show "rules" is never make a major purchase before going through the entire show . There have been times when I violate that rule but it's with good cause . I think the rifle you really wanted might have fallen under the "good cause" rule and ya really shoulda . I've seen guys walk away from my show table because they couldn't get past their own bull headedness ( izat uh word ? :razz: ) Not realizing my stuff was priced hundred of dollars less that some of the others , they lost because they couldn't just pay the price without beatin' it down .

Like the man said the nineties are gone , and we've got several trillions of dollars more paper in the market to inflate prices . [smilie=f:

Great score on the little magnum though , what ya gonna use it for ?...... when the deer try to get in the truck with ya ? [smilie=l:

Jack

Lloyd Smale
02-06-2011, 11:30 AM
just a plinker jack.

PatMarlin
02-06-2011, 01:05 PM
I always believe a real nice piece for exactly what you want is usually worth the hundred bucks more every time. I look at some of my rifles that I'm SO glad I didn't pass on, as now they are well worth it.

Nice score Lloyd. I've been wanting to buy one of those for my wife, but even with the high prices, I haven't seen one I like. I found a nice Large Loop Henry in 357 mag with very nice wood that I may put on layaway- $679. Can't believe what these levers are going for today.

MtGun44
02-06-2011, 01:31 PM
$500 for a new truck. . . . . . I think that ended about 1927.

Now for a "$550 new-to-me truck", been there, done that, not so long ago. Still
sitting in the driveway, come and get it for free if you want it. ;-)

Bill

45r
02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
If you want a 300WBY you'll probably have a hard time finding one let alone get a good deal.I got a Mark 5 years ago and haven't seen any since.It is a great shooter and the action is very smooth.They were 1100 then on sale and probably a lot more now.

snowwolfe
02-06-2011, 03:26 PM

Wished this were still true and you could get a decent rig for that price. Heck, it costs me almost $500 just to fill the gas tanks on my ocean boat, lol.

PatMarlin
02-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Ooh what kinda Ocean boat ya got snowwolfe?

snowwolfe
02-06-2011, 04:56 PM
24 foot Sea Sport..........inboard with duoprop outdrive drive. 496 ci motor. She catches us a lot of halibut and salmon in the summer and the memories are priceless.

PatMarlin
02-06-2011, 05:03 PM
I've got a SkipJack-20. Where do you put in? Sorry for the hijack Lloyd.

Uncle R.
02-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I always believe a real nice piece for exactly what you want is usually worth the hundred bucks more every time. I look at some of my rifles that I'm SO glad I didn't pass on, as now they are well worth it.

Lotta wisdom there!

Bret4207
02-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Last new gun I bought was a Ruger 22/45 about 4 years back. Before that it was a Ruger 10-22 for my wife in 1992. That concludes my list of new in the box firearms I've bought. The other 75 or 80 were all bought used. the only one that ever went more than 5 bills was my Sedgley rebarrelled USMC marked '03.

The last new truck I bought was in 1991. God willing, I'll never buy another new vehicle of any kind ever again.

If I had a boat that cost $500.00 to fuel up, I think I'd also have a boat that was for sale.

snowwolfe
02-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I run out of Homer and Seward.

Some of you guys are interesting:) I admire a man who watches what he spends. But I also admire people who dont pee away there money eating out every day or spending it on $5 lattes, cigarettes, booze, etc. and save it for something special. Also like buying used. In the process of abuying a 24 foor inboard Jet boat. Much more value after someone else loses the depreciation.

We watch our money carefully and are far from being rich. Being retired USAF enlisted doesnt exactly mean money if flowing out of our pockets. But I'll be dang if they are going to put me into the ground without enjoying life to the fullest.
Some people watch the Discovery channel, we like to live it.

Your opinion may be different and I respect it. But I am going to play until I die:)
Sorry for getting this thread off track.

Jack Stanley
02-06-2011, 09:27 PM
just a plinker jack.

I'm just kidding about it getting in the truck with ya [smilie=l:though we've all seen or heard about deer doing strange things .

I've got one of those little carbines and while it's fun as a plinker , I don't think I have any other parctical use for it that can't be covered by the lever rifle on either side of it in the gun rack . Perhaps when the kids from church learn to master the .22 rifle I'll turn them loose with the 357 carbine .

Or I could let that Zombie guy influence me and rebarrel it to a 30-357 or some such thing .......... now wouldn't that be discovery for me [smilie=l:

Hey , maybe that magnum will be at the next show eh ?

Jack

PatMarlin
02-06-2011, 11:26 PM

Rings a bell but I'm a California boy. What state?

My Skippy is a 68, and has the old inline chevy 6 banger. 3 miles to the gallon. We cruise and troll all day on bout' 8 gallons average.

snowwolfe
02-07-2011, 01:20 AM
State of high gas prices:(
Alaska.

Suo Gan
02-07-2011, 03:29 AM
If its any consolation, you made a heck of a deal on that rifle...in 2011 dollars.

Hang Fire
02-08-2011, 02:29 AM

Ah yes Seward, out Resurrection Bay and then run across the Gully to Prince William Sound. IMO, PWS is the most beautiful place on earth.

Lived down on the Kenai for seven years, (1969-76) at mile post 36 Seward hwy, six miles out of Moose Pass near Tern Lake. Friends of ours from Seward were down visiting for a month, said we would not recognize things there now.

Smoke-um if you got-um
02-09-2011, 04:42 PM
www.hark.com/clips/vfpktbmdpj-deer-attack-911-call

- click or copy above and paste in your browser or google "deer in back seat of cadilac" Warning- some adult explatives

Deer do indeed end up in strange places, like maybe the back seat of a cadilac ............... confrontation between deer, dog and man.

:hijack: