PDA

View Full Version : Glow Ammo

mtnman31
02-06-2011, 02:20 AM
Midsouth is selling this product:
Glow Ammo (http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00177GAT1K81845C)
It's supposed to be a no-flame, safe, tracer substitute. The video looks like they would work okay at shorter distances. The video was shot in a dark indoor range and it states they work best in a dim environment.
Anyone tried these?

lavenatti
02-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Nope, and for $45 I'm not likely to.

Looked pretty nifty in the video though.

1Shirt
02-10-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm with Lavenatti! Guess we are both either cheap, or frugal, or would rather buy powder and primers!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Trey45
02-10-2011, 10:38 AM
If you buy some I'll be happy to try some out for you. I'm not spending $45 on something like that, powder and primers yes, novelty glow stickers, not so much.

Jim
02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
I try not to spend money on expendable material other than powder or primers.

WILCO
02-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Too expensive for me. My shooting range forbids them. Tracers are a two way street, those on the receiving end can send some back to you.

376Steyr
02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
You could use a couple for the last rounds in a big magazine. If you see the tracer, it's time to reload.

mtnman31
02-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I wasn't really interested in buying any - I'm too cheap for that. I was more interested in if they work as advertised and "how" they work.

Jim
02-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Copied from the ad:
"Glow Ammo is a cold tracer technology that can be applied to any cartridge that you are hand loading. It takes a bullet and turns it into a non - incendiary tracer. Because there is no fire or flame associated with the trace Glow Ammo is safe to shoot at any range. There is no fire hazard. Cold Tracer's work best in a dim environment. Glow Ammo performs best with Alliant Bullseye and Hodgdon Titegroup propellants. Kit has enough material to treat 255 rounds of ammunition."

It's an adhesive backed paper sticker that has a phosphorescent material applied to it. You peel off the dot, stick it on the back of your bullet and load it.
On firing, the powder flash does not light the dot, it illuminates it. What you're seeing go down range is an illuminated paper sticker on the back of the bullet. Thus, the allowance to be used on "No tracers" ranges.

It's a unique novelty, I'll give it that. I just have no desire to see my bullets in flight. Besides, I RARELY shoot in extremely low light conditions. Even if I did, I don't know that actually seeing the bullet in flight is gonna do anything to help me on the next shot.

JIMinPHX
02-11-2011, 04:51 PM
That guy in the video is not a very good shot...& now everyone at the range knows it.:lol:

buck1
02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Iluminated paper gas checks!

OnceFired
08-20-2013, 12:37 AM
So I had to use Google to find this instead of the Search function on CB. I got 475 results for a glow ammo search, and stopped 100 in. Google found it first shot.

It's been over 2 years since we learned about Glow Ammo. Has *anyone* here tried it yet? Since this is the only post about it, I figured I would touch base with the same crowd as had originally noticed it and had something to say about it. Sorry if necro'ing is frowned on...

Swamp Man
08-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Guys why not just try adding Glow dust to your lead before pouring? Then just place them in the light for a while to charge the glow before firing them?

Or just paint the bullet with Glow paint.

mroliver77
08-20-2013, 06:15 PM
What would the advantage be of having the butt of your boolit or bullet glow? Tracers are for hosing.
In dim light I would rather have my sights glow!
Jay

Swamp Man
08-20-2013, 06:26 PM
What would the advantage be of having the butt of your boolit or bullet glow? Tracers are for hosing.
In dim light I would rather have my sights glow!
Jay
Nothing I can think of. That's kind of like those bullets that have pig blood in them. I know the thinking behind the pig blood bullets but if I shot you I don't care where your soul goes afterwords.

km101
08-21-2013, 07:08 PM
The public ranges in this area do not allow tracers. You would probably have a hard time convincing a range officer that they were not the same, especially if he had never heard of them. More than likely they would not be allowed, just on the "better-safe-than-sorry" rule. If they don't understand it, they aint gonna' let it in.

montana_charlie
08-21-2013, 08:24 PM
What would the advantage be of having the butt of your boolit or bullet glow?
I'm not advocating the use of these things, just trying to think of some useful application for them ...

In a home defense situation where you are shooting in the dark, it might help to know where your 'misses' are going if you fire and don't connect.

Good shooting form should put you on a 'close' target with little need for sights.
But, sitting up in a bouncy bed may not be conducive to that perfect form.
A mag-full of glowing bullets may help you overcome a poor hold or a cramped position ... and get some hits on the center of that shadow in your bedroom doorway.

Of course, you might be totally blinded by your own muzzle flash, too.

CM

OnceFired
08-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Hmmm. So no one has tried them among the group? That's surprising with the Tinkering degree each of us seems to have.

EMC45
08-22-2013, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=1Shirt;1156488]I'm with Lavenatti! Guess we are both either cheap, or frugal, or would rather buy powder and primers!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

I prefer to use the term "thrifty". Har har. Also if you backlight your shooting area with headlights you can see pistol bullets travel down range.

Bad Water Bill
08-23-2013, 10:11 AM
How many ranges are open when it is DARK enough to see the GLOW?

Just another way to waste YOUR money.

Blacksmith
08-23-2013, 11:49 AM
But Tracers are Tactical!

Therefore imitation "glow tracers" must be TactiCool!!!!

A must have for all Mall Ninjas, just ask Gecko45. He would probably make up

some story about not being able to use real tracers in the Mall because of the danger of starting fires with each hit.:kidding: