PDA

View Full Version : 115 grain lead bullet load for 8x56R

gschwertley
05-26-2005, 12:14 AM
I would like to make a plinking load for 8x56R Austrian military using some 115 grain hard-cast lead bullets sized .330 (originally intended for 8mm Lebel revolver). No gas check.

My target velocity is in the 1,100 to 1,200 range. Anybody have any suggestions for starting loads for Red Dot, Unique, and Bullseye? 5.0 to 6.0 areas?

Barrels in my rifles that will use this load are in the .329 to .331 range.

Buckshot
05-26-2005, 02:25 AM
.............You're maybe thinking these on the left, below:

http://www.fototime.com/BB0C8E4BD0B6967/standard.jpg

From Graf & Son? I tried them in both a M95 and a M95/30 and it was scattergun city. That was at 25 yards to start[smilie=b: The throat and leade in these things, as you may be aware, defines the term 'Long' as it applies to such things. Since the throats in the 2 carbines I have will swallow a .338" boolit, the wiggle room for these short .330" slugs is VERY generous.

If you're like me you will want to try them regardless and I say go for it. Your carbine may actually shoot them, ah ................straight(er) :-).

I have found much better results by sizing down 357 jacketed bullets to .335". If you have the means, make an intermediate die of about .348" to squirt the jacketed 357's up through before going to the .335" (open up a Lee .329" die for this).

Be advised that a JSP or a FMJ with lead exposed at the base will both extrude lead from either opening while sizing. I haven't done any since trying them out the first time as it's a PITA and I have no use for them anyway. Light cast loads with a correctly sized 200+gr slug can be accurately driven at 1200 fps.

Be sure to post your results! I hope they work for you.

................Buckshot

gschwertley
05-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Buckshot:

What I have are some hard-cast lead bullets made up locally in Oregon. I have seen the jacketed Graf's (Hornady?) .330 bullets advertised for the 8mm Lebel and was thinking of trying those out too. Now with your experience, do not think I will do so.

Yes, just about everything in the chamber of the M95 is very generous. I know I can make a 200 grain lead bullet loaf along at the velocity I desire, but you know how it is with reloaders. We want to try anything.

I will continue to load various jacketed bullets, plus cast my own 200 grainers with the Lee mould. The 115 grainers were a little pricey anyway, at $12 per hundred.

Oh, don't think I won't go ahead with the one hundred 115 grainers I have. I will report the results just in case anyone else in the future is foolish enough to want to do it.

Thanks.

StarMetal
05-27-2005, 08:19 PM
My best jacketed results were from sizing down the Hornady 200 gr .338 flatnose softpoint bullet meant for the old 33 Winchester. I sized it down to .330 and loaded them to hunting velocities. They shot exceptionly well like two inch groups at 100 yards with original sights. Later on I installed receiver sights. The 200 gr cast bullets shot the best for me. I've done alot of shooting and testing with this Austrian carbine and concidering it's generous specifications on just about everything bore wise it is one heck of an accurate little carbine.

I've also sized down some cast 150 gr 357 caliber swc's and they shot fairly decent out of my carbine.

Joe