PDA

View Full Version : What would be cheaper?

dk17hmr
11-11-2006, 11:49 PM
I have a Savage 340 in 30-30, I like the idea of the rifle but I dont like the 30-30 cartridge it is chambered for. I got the rifle cheap as the stock is cracked. I am thinkin of making it a deer rifle, I know whats wrong with the 30-30 as a deer round, nothing but I am not a fan. But the more I have been playing with the rifle the more I like it

I am thinkin since the 25-35 and 30-30 share the same case, basically, maybe I could re do the rifle in this caliber.

Redo as in rebarrel or reline.

Either way I will have a smith do the work, but rebarreling it for a caliber that wasnt offerend means getting a blank and having alot of machine work done to it to just to get it to fit the rifle.

OR

Buy a liner and have the barrel bored and lined. Then I could even use iron sights on the rifle instead of just a scope.

Probably not gunna happen anytime soon but I am throwing the idea around

Oldfeller
11-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Since others on this board like that particular rifle in that 30-30 caliber, why don't you sell it for what it is to somebody who WANTS it, and use the money to go towards what you really want in a rifle (whatever that might be).

Let me increase your interest in what you've got on hand -- it is the ideal cast bullet rifle for both accuracy and "efficent effectivity" in mid-range cast bullet hunting. By fluke, Savage did it right.

Several folks used to be looking one (maybe still are ...)

Put a price on it and see if anyone will take it "as is".

waksupi
11-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Doug, it is pretty hard to beat the .30-30 for a cast bullet rifle. I'd put some wood on it, and LEARN to like it!

felix
11-12-2006, 12:58 AM
It is the most accurate of the store bought 30-30s out of the box. The one that could match it is the model 788, and that is only because the latter's trigger is superior. ... felix

45nut
11-12-2006, 01:47 AM
that may be true felix,,but the 30-30 788 magazines are huge bucks and my rifle's is missing it's mag. I sorta made a foam filler/loading tray so its not worthless though.

floodgate
11-12-2006, 02:19 AM
Felix

"The one that could match it is the model 788, and that is only because the latter's trigger is superior."

The 788 in 30&30 I once owned had a much worse trigger than my Savage 24 in .22LR / 20 Ga. - as bad as the worst Mosin-Nagant I have ever tried - and no aftermarket ones were available at that time. I had the price of a couple of them tied up in magazines, too, so I looked around and found a sucker. Or maybe he found me... I wish now I had it back.

floodgate

dk17hmr
11-12-2006, 02:27 AM
No lie a new stock from Boyds would about equal the price I paid for the rifle.

I have the stock off the rifle and its trigger apart right now cleaning it up some with a honeing stone. I got to thinkin, so I measured the end of the barrel and it very close to 1/2" which is the bore diameter for the liner.

O well....I was just thinking, it stays a 30-30 for now....

lastmanout
11-12-2006, 09:20 AM
I have mended many clunker gunstocks using JB weld and had great luck. If it was broken at the wrist (behind trigger) , I eye ball a few holes and glue in 3" pieces of 1/4-20 threaded rod. I don't do this to pretty guns, but the 340 IS a fine utility firearm. Like you say, it is hard to buy a new stock for a so-so weapon. Clean up the wood, degrease the metal rods (if needed), and test fit pieces before you glue-up. Good luck

Bret4207
11-12-2006, 10:09 AM
If you're serious about this, consider the 340 as a fine candidate for a series of switch barrels. The set up is the same as the 110 series and you could have 219 Zipper, 25/35, 30WCF, 32 Special, 32/40, 38-55 and anything else with the same rim size. The mag might not handle all of them but it would be a nice system. I don't think the recvr threads are the same as the 110 series, but finding out what they are shouldn't be too hard. The nice thing with the Savage system is you can get the barrel from Shaw or where ever, have it fully chambered by them and set your head space with one common gage and the barrel nut. If used barrels are available in you area, then get the right caliber, lop off the threaded portion of the chamber, thread and chamber for your desired round. I'd think $100.00 in this scenario is possible. Reamers can be rented for $35.00 or so.

The 340's klunky stock design and cheap stamped parts were it's downside and upside. Looked like the devil, but they were affordable for the common man. Personally I'd like to kow where they all went! You used to be able to find 340 Hornets all over place. Must be some Arab Sheik bought them all up and is storing them in Kabadistan or something, 'cuz they ain't on the sheleves anymore!

Mk42gunner
11-13-2006, 06:29 AM
If you do as Bret suggested, you don't absolutely have to refit the barrel band either. At one time I had a 340 in 222 that had a Bishop stock on it, and it shot almost as well as a 788 Remington. I didn't even know they had barrel bands untill I saw a 30-30 at a gunshop in Reno.

Robert

versifier
11-13-2006, 01:20 PM
that may be true felix,,but the 30-30 788 magazines are huge bucks and my rifle's is missing it's mag. I sorta made a foam filler/loading tray so its not worthless though.

GPC often has the bigger mags in stock (you have to keep checking), and there is at least one company that makes them as an aftermarket item. It's usually the small .222/.223 and the .44mags that are impossible to find.

floodgate,
A little polishing with a dremel tool does the triggers magic.

snowman
11-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Please DONT DONT DONT rebore that barrel...dont do a DARN THING to that barrel.

See, once you drill that barrel out, you can never go back...it's done, over, end

So, spend the extra money, have a matching barrel made up in the caliber of your choice. Why do you not think that it can have iron sights? They aren't that hard to install.