PDA

View Full Version : Mica for lube...

Land Owner
02-04-2011, 11:40 PM
I didn't search this topic. Maybe i should. Probably has been kicked around in here from time to time.

I have a box of circa 1970's Hornady 357 Mag x 158 gr. Match grade SWC's that are mica coated for their lube. I have mica and a good deal of cast bullets (made today). I also have pan lube too, as an alternate, but feel that I can mica coat much more reliably than pan (as I have not pan lubed before).

nighthunter
02-05-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm not a scientist by any means but I don't think that just plain mica will be sufficient as a bullet lube. I have dusted bullets with mica that were already sized and lubricated in my 450 sizer. It does eliminate the mess of lube transfer from bullet to bullet contact during storage. I don't think you could get enough plain mica to adhere to the bullet to be successful. I'd bet those old bullets have some sort of lubricant under the mica.

Nighthunter

Rocky Raab
02-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I use LLA or a JPW/LLA mix as my only bullet lube, and I always dust the nearly dried bullets with mica. It not only does as nighthunter describes, but may also add a bit of its own lubricity during firing. My Makarov certainly cycles and feeds better with mica-dusted bullets.

I also suspect that your Hornady ammo has a waxy film lube under the mica. I have a box of Speer swaged bullets that have a waxy lube and a graphite dusting. Mica would be a bit "cleaner" than graphite, but serve the same purpose.

MtGun44
02-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Actually, I believe that they have a thin wax coating with the mica to keep them from sticking
to each other and pulling and rubbing off the very thin lube with a secondary effect of adding
a touch more lube.

Bill