PDA

View Full Version : Successful First CB Shoot! (.357 mag)

BrassFever
02-04-2011, 10:30 PM
The local pawn shop finally got my lee sizing die in after a three week wait. This allowed me to complete the final step before loading my first home cast boolits. More about that sizing die later. Up to this point in my reloading career, I had only reloaded and fired boolits cast by others for me and commercially cast boolits. My experience has been mixed, with the commercial cast being the worst boolits I've used (berrys). Anyway, I fired about 100 rounds of .357 topped with a lyman 358477 slug sized to .358. I'm using WW brass, cci primers, and 4.9 grains of bullseye. The weapon was a ruger security-six in .357 with a 4 inch barrel. Suprisingly small amount leading occured and accuracy was minute-of-clay-pigeon at about 25 yds from an unsupported standing position. The leading was primarily in the leade, or before where the rifling starts in the barrel.

All in all I'm very pleased with these loads. I want to bump up the powder charge a little but though, because these feel like 38 target loads.

About that die. I got it for $13.81 because the guy at the pawn shop accidentially quoted me their cost as my price. Sometime you win.

02-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Welcome and congratulations.

Isn'tt it great feeling when you discover that you can make your own boolits and develop your loads and they are more accurate than store-bought stuff? Talk about being off the grid.

Your description of the leading location sounds like it's in the forcing cone. If so, an 11-dgree cut on the forcing cone should eliminate it. Worked for my Blackhawk.

Good luck.

BrassFever
02-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Interesting. What tool do you use to make such a cut? A lathe?

Southern Son
02-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Tools to cut the forcing cone are sold through Brownells (Midway might also, but they don't ship to Oz, so I stick to Brownells). It is a great feeling making and shooting your own.

02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Interesting. What tool do you use to make such a cut? A lathe?

A local gunsmith did the job for $15. The crystal ball didn't show enough future use of the Brownells kit to justify its cost.

MtGun44
02-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Another happy 358477 user. This is a really reliable and accurate boolit design.
Welcome to the hobby, sounds like you are off to a great start.

Which Washington? Why buy through a pawn shop when you can direct order from
MidSouthShootersSupply, MidwayUSA, Natchez, Graf and Son at really competitive
prices? Is a pawn shop actually stocking reloading equipment? If so, it is very
unlike any pawn shop that I have ever been in, not that I have been in all that
many.

Bill

NHlever
02-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Both of my Security Six's have chamber thoats that are a snug .358 diameter, but they both shoot better, and lead up less using .357 diameter Boolits........ sometimes rules are just there to be broken I guess. They both shoot very well too.

BrassFever
02-05-2011, 04:26 PM
MtGun44: Washington state. I purchased it from the pawn shop because they quoted me $13.81, which was cheaper than anywhere else I've found and they said it would only take a week to get it. I also live close to a place called "Three Forks Reloading and Ammunition." They have the largest selection of powder in our state, and they always have compenents in stock. Thats another reason why I don't order alot of stuff online.

AZ-Stew
02-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Which Washington? Why buy through a pawn shop when you can direct order from MidSouthShootersSupply, MidwayUSA, Natchez, Graf and Son at really competitive prices?

Bill

+1

... I don't order alot of stuff online.

If you stick with the shooting sports for very long, you will, and Bill has listed, in price order, the best to deal with. As for having things in stock, or having a wide selection, I'd re-arrange the list a bit, but I'm basically a Scott (frugal (cheapskate)), so the list is good in its present order. You can also add Cabela's for some stuff. Because of the quantities they deal in they often have stuff that out of stock elsewhere. Our local Cabela's had .41 Magnum brass in stock last week when it was out of stock or listed as "seasonal" at the above listed mail-order houses. Cabela's also has some corporate "rules" that benefit their customers. A year and a half or so ago, when components were impossible to get, I ordered a pound of powder and 5K primers from them. They shipped separately, but were both covered under a SINGLE $5 shipping and $20 hazmat fee. You won't find those prices elsewhere. Shop around.

Regards,

Stew

BrassFever
02-06-2011, 03:16 AM
Haha you guys are talking to the ultimate cheapskate here. I have extensively shopped around on the web sites you mentioned. I have yet to see prices significantly lower than I can get things locally. When it comes to equipment, I usually try to buy used and this is another reason I haven't used these sites. Its not that I'm against it, its just that I haven't had a need yet.

Down South
02-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Is a pawn shop actually stocking reloading equipment? If so, it is very
unlike any pawn shop that I have ever been in, not that I have been in all that many.
Bill

The Pawn shop in the little town that I live close to stocks a little reloading equipment, a few powders, an assortment of primers and some off the shelf bullets plus a lot of ammo.
But, I buy most of my reloading supplies on line.

MtGun44
02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
If your supplier can beat the mail order houses and you avoid shipping (sales tax may be a
break even on shipping depending on where you live) you are doing very well. It is rare
for a stocking store to match their prices, IME. Sounds like a good source!

Sounds like some pawn shop owners are branching out into being sporting goods stores.
Good for them, and for customers if their prices are good.

Bill

BrassFever
02-06-2011, 02:55 PM
The pawn shop I got the die from is usually a rip off. I'll go in there and browse around, but their prices are usually laughable. I get the bulk of my reloading supplies from 3 different places: BiMart, Three Forks Ammo and Reloading, and Sportco.