PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on trade--Rem 660 for Marlin 1895 GBL

USAF Shirt
02-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Guys, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum, but I need a quick 'back-check' on a trade I am about to pull the trigger on. As you guys know, the thought of a new gun is a lot like a new woman..lust sometimes gets in the way of logic!

I was offered a like new Marlin GBL in 45-70 for my 98+% Remington 660 in .308. I have been jonesing for a new 45-70 in a BIG way, and this is one is very tempting. I dont have a blue book, but I figure the 660 is worth in the $500-$600 range? What do the GBLs go for on the used market? Being that they only made these for 3 years, finding another would be a lot harder than another GBL, and the 660 will only go up in value. What do you guys think? Fair trade? Would you hang on to the 660? Frankly, there is not a more knowledgeable bunch of shooters on the net, so I figured Id ask. Thanks fellas!

BBA
02-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I have a 660 in 308 and I would not let go of it. The 660 just shoots too good. IMO find something else to trade.

PacMan
02-04-2011, 09:24 PM
What BBA said.
That 660 is better at doing more things than the Marlin will be. Dont let the ravings of all the Marlin fans overcome you.

Keyston44
02-04-2011, 11:43 PM
I don't know anything about the 660 but I do know about the GBL. Trying to find a GBL now is very hard, if you do find one it will be over market value. The latest GBL's that are coming out now from Remingtion are having alot of problems. Like misaligned barrels, mismatched parts and feeding issues. These are the ones to avoid. Key

mpmarty
02-05-2011, 12:33 AM
GBL? REMINGTON? huh??

Keyston44
02-05-2011, 12:43 AM
GBL? REMINGTON? huh??

GBL=Guide Big Loop
Remington=Marlin is made by Remington now.
Marlins made by Marlin have the "JM" proof mark on the left side of the barrel by the receiver.
Remington made Marlins have the "REP" proof mark on the right side of the barrel by the receiver. Even that is muddied up though, Remington is putting SBL's and GBL's with what ever parts they have left over from the move. I've seen SBL's with GS barrels and they have the extra magazine tube dovetail cut into them.
Key

SkookumJeff
02-05-2011, 04:44 AM
I'm a huge fan of Marlin lever guns and just acquired a Marlin .45/70 ABL myself. What a beauty it is too, vintage Marlin. That said, I'd predict if you trade off your Rem 660, you'll come to regret it. Find some other way to get the Marlin....

FWIW, Marlin guide guns are selling for $550 + in my area when you can find them. I paid a premium for my ABL but it's sweeet. Cheaper Than Dirt had several GBL's for sale the other day for $450 or so, but these are Marlingtons. YMMV with these. I expect vintage Marlins to start increasing in price on the used market, JMHO....

Bret4207
02-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Marlins are current production, aren't they? I wouldn't let the 660 go unless one of my kids or wife was really sick. No comparison, and they aren't making 660's anymore.

243winxb
02-05-2011, 10:31 AM
The 660 has no Vent Rib like the first 600's , so is not as collectible. Most are very accurate, making them a keeper. This is not a rife that can be easly replaced.
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE:
In 1979, Remington instituted a recall for Model 600 and 660 rifles made before February, 1975, because, under certain circumstances, the safety and trigger could be manipulated in a way that could result in an accidental discharge. Under the 1979 recall program, owners of the affected rifles could return their guns for installation of a new trigger assembly at no charge. Since 1979, thousands of the affected firearms have been serviced under the 1979 recall and received new trigger assemblies. More info here >http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-modification-program/remington-model-600-and-660.aspx

USAF Shirt
02-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys..that is exactly the kind of input I as looking for. Its always good to get an 'outside looking in' perspective. I have gotten rid of several guns I have regretted..I know we have all been there at one time or another! That 660 is one sweet little gun..working the bolt is like greased glass. they sure dont make em like that anymore. I have a 70s era model 700 ADL that is equally as smooth. Thanks again boys..think I'll hang on to this one!

NHlever
02-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Good choice...... a nice 45-70 will come your way sooner, or later.

RU shooter
02-05-2011, 03:36 PM
I would keep the 660 ,But if your realllly wanting that marlin and if its not a even up trade what do you want for the 660??? It could be the big brother(rebored to .358) I always wanted for my 600 in 35 rem.

Mk42gunner
02-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Marlins are current production, aren't they? I wouldn't let the 660 go unless one of my kids or wife was really sick. No comparison, and they aren't making 660's anymore.

In addition to what Bret said; the few 600's and 660's I have handled felt better to me than the Marlin Guide Guns.

Robert

Uncle Grinch
02-06-2011, 08:38 AM
I've had a couple of Rem Mohawk 660's, one in .222 and another in .308 and wish I had kept both, especially the .308. While I love my Marlin 45-70 CB, the compactness of the Mohawks really felt good.

The only problem I had with both of them was the chinzy plastic trigger guard. I always said, "one of these day's I'm gonna spring for a steel one". Never did... but I still miss my Mohawks!

rockrat
02-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Guy at the local show had a 600 in 308. Probably 90-95%. He wanted $600 for it. I have a 600 and a 660 in 308. Probably next year you can buy the "Marlin" from someone for $400ish.

Keep your 660

arcticbreeze
02-06-2011, 11:33 AM
I am a Marlin junky so I am bias. Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it.................

280Ackley
02-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Funny thing. I was on the other side of the same type of trade 3 or 4 years ago. Traded a 1895 GG in 450 for a Mohawk in 243. I am still happy with that trade. IMHO keep the 600.

izzyjoe
02-06-2011, 03:32 PM
well at least you what you have, and if you keep it, you''ll never regret it. those marlin's are a dime a dozen, and if there quality does'nt improve they will be cheaper.

SkookumJeff
02-06-2011, 06:55 PM
well at least you what you have, and if you keep it, you''ll never regret it. those marlin's are a dime a dozen, and if there quality does'nt improve they will be cheaper.

I also recommended the OP keep his Remington, but with all due respect, Marlin Guide Guns are NOT a dime a dozen, they're somewhat hard to find, not that many have been made. Personally, I've heard nothing but horror stories about the rifles Remington is producing after shutting down Marlins factory and moving production to a Remington factory in New York. Vintage Marlin Guide Guns are never going to be a dime a dozen, and I am not optimistic about Marlin's future as just another corporate business run by investment company bean counters...

Keyston44
02-07-2011, 08:19 AM
SkookumJeff,
I agree with you 100%. I searched high and low for an ABL or GBL for months and couldn't find one with out paying a premium or finding a Marlington with problems. The used Guide Guns were going for more than new ones if I could find one. I finally found a Guide Gun on Gun Broker that was being sold in my state but out of my normal search area. It was worth the couple hours drive to get it.
If I had the Remingtion 660 I wouldn't trade it either. If you want the Marlin though you better get one while you can. I'm always on the search for a second one and just watching them go up in price every day. Key

MT Gianni
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I bought a Marlin 1895 mod SS a few weeks ago. It is used with a stock showing some scratches. Price was $349 out the door with a used set of RCBS dies. Keep the 660.

USAF Shirt
02-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Appreciate all the responses fellas. I do have another question..Just got a lead on a stainless Guide gun (for $550) and was wondering how to tell if it was made by marlin or remington..I saw in a previous post Keyston44:

"Marlins made by Marlin have the "JM" proof mark on the left side of the barrel by the receiver. Remington made Marlins have the "REP" proof mark on the right side of the barrel by the receiver."

asked the guy to look for the above and he said there were no marks on the right side, but there was some unidentifiable mark on the left side near the receiver/barrel but as far as it being a "JM" you'd have to give it "a lot of room for interpretation."

guess I could have him send me a pic, but is there any other surefire way to tell? FWIW, I asked how long he has had it, and he said he bought it new last fall.

Thanks again for the help guys!

TCFAN
02-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Appreciate all the responses fellas. I do have another question..Just got a lead on a stainless Guide gun (for $550) and was wondering how to tell if it was made by marlin or remington..I saw in a previous post Keyston44:

"Marlins made by Marlin have the "JM" proof mark on the left side of the barrel by the receiver. Remington made Marlins have the "REP" proof mark on the right side of the barrel by the receiver."

asked the guy to look for the above and he said there were no marks on the right side, but there was some unidentifiable mark on the left side near the receiver/barrel but as far as it being a "JM" you'd have to give it "a lot of room for interpretation."

guess I could have him send me a pic, but is there any other surefire way to tell? FWIW, I asked how long he has had it, and he said he bought it new last fall.

Thanks again for the help guys!

From what I understand that would be a Marlin made Marlin.What is the first 2 numbers on the serial number.........Terry

USAF Shirt
02-08-2011, 01:41 AM
TCFAN,

First 2 of the serial # is 91, which based on my research is a 2009 model? Is this a Marlin, or a "Remlin"? I'll be looking at it in person this week...Might have me a Guide Gun yet!

Keyston44
02-08-2011, 08:08 AM
That's how my new Guide Guns is. As long as the markings are on the left side your good to go. That was after the take over but still built in the Marlin Factory by Marlin workers.
Good luck.
Key

TCFAN
02-08-2011, 02:04 PM
TCFAN,

First 2 of the serial # is 91, which based on my research is a 2009 model? Is this a Marlin, or a "Remlin"? I'll be looking at it in person this week...Might have me a Guide Gun yet!

Yes that would be a 2009 model as I understand it. That would make it a true Marlin.

I bought a Marlin 94 44 mag. Cowboy limited last fall and it also has a 91 serial number. Not a thing wrong with it.

If the Guide Gun is what you want and you can look it over before buying you should go for it......................Terry

USAF Shirt
02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Well guys, I am the proud new owner of a Stainless Guide Gun! Didnt get a 'smoking' deal on it ($550), but I think it was fair, considering it had only a box of shells through it, and by all indications it is a 'genuine' marlin. Fit/finish/feeding seems great so far. Hope she soots as god as she looks..

best part is, the old 660 still has a cozy home in the safe! Thanks again for the back check guys..I know I would have regretted getting rid of that one!

Keyston44
02-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Congratulation on your new gun. They are a lot of fun to shoot. I have my plinking loads worked up. Just need to work up some heavy loads in case we have a herd of rabid buffalos invade Colorado;). Key