PDA

View Full Version : Storage

DeanWinchester
02-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I have recently sworn off all copper condoms from my .308 bolt action. I am in the process of developing the proper load, but I am curious if there are any concerns regarding storage of bulk loaded ammo that would differ from standard procedure??? Seems like heat might need a bit more consideration given the lube and all.

THoughts please.

dverna
02-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I had a few boxes of .38's with 50/50 Alox lubed 148 gr bullets that were affected. These reloads were 30 years old and stored in a basement. Cartridges were in factory boxes with the bullet down. Powder laying on the bullet. over 80% FTF.

I store rifle rounds bullet up, but do not have any old cast rifle loads to "test". Seems to me if stored that way there should not be a problem. Plus the powder to "goop" ratio on a .308 is much higher.

Don Verna

MtGun44
02-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Milsurp metal ammo boxes in the basement.

Bill

DeanWinchester
02-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Milsurp metal ammo boxes in the basement.

Bill

Well, I don't have a basement, but they are in mil boxes, on shelves in my shop.

That is disturbing about the 38's there Don, I have......more than I care to advertise, amounts of tumble lubed ammo in 45, 9mm and 38spcl. They are loose in 50 cal cans. I absolutely rotate. I always shoot oldest first, and have never had a failure of any kind. None of my loads are more than 7 years old. I think when spring gets here, I need to practice more and hoard less.

geargnasher
02-04-2011, 05:50 PM
He said 50/50 alox, I'm assuming NRA 50/50, not the liquid stuff.

Lube migration is the numero uno concern for storage, keep your stuff at room temp and you'll never have to worry about it unless you use really runny lube or make a batch of Felix lube without properly polymerizing the castor oil (it will leak out in a liquid state and ruin powder).

Gear.

btroj
02-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Mine are stored the same as jacketed rounds, where ever I can find room for them. In ammo boxes, in empty coffee cans, Akron bins, ziploc bags, whatever.

Like Gear said, keep them cool and dry and it won't really matter. I don't generally store my ammo in 100 degree heat so I don't worry about it at all.

Brad

lwknight
02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I think that ammo should be stored as cool as you can. It will stay cooler at the floor than up on the shelf in an uncontrolled envirnment. All things in nature return to equilibrium and the warmer it is the faster it happens.

HighHook
02-04-2011, 08:46 PM
This is an interesting Question...

If you store loaded cast lead up you chance lube dripping down on the powder.
If you store loaded cast lead down like i do your powder is sitting on the lead that has possible lube on bottom of lead.

I think if stored in cool place it does not matter. 8-)

BruceB
02-04-2011, 09:32 PM
We live in" high desert"country.

A couple years ago, I had occasion to test-fire a few hundred rounds of assorted ammo which had been stashed either in my shed or Der Scheutzenwagen (my shooting van) for over three years. I am CERTAIN that temps in both places reached over 120 degrees several times over the storage period, as outside air temps over 100 are routine in summer.

Anyway, the ammo was stored in every imaginable position, and every round was lubed with the Felix stuff. Firing all this rifle and pistol ammo across the chrono screens showed only normal ballistic performance, and there were nO misfires.

I was surprised and pleased.

Since then, I've been mixing Lar45's lubes myself, using one stick of Carnauba Red to two sticks of 50/50, melted in the microwave and poured into the Lyman 450. I think this comes close to their BAC lube, but whatever....it sure works well. No heat-related problems have yet come to light with this stuff, either.

DeanWinchester
02-04-2011, 11:11 PM
THanks Bruce.

6bg6ga
02-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Just shot some 230gr 45acp that I loaded up about 20yrs ago. Had no problems and they were accurate.