PDA

View Full Version : Savage 24

Bret4207
11-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Anyone have any input on the newer Savage o/u 223/12ga combo guns? MAinly looking for info on accuracy of the rifle barrel. Thx

versifier
11-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Savage m24 rifle barrels are known for their great accuracy. The .30-30 barrel on my old 24V is the most accurate .30 cal barrel I have ever owned, including several match rifles. It would put almost any load into an inch at 100yds, and keep 10 shots of its favorites under 1/2", and no I am not exaggerating. Even my brother's .22lr over 20ga will keep many kinds of ammo MOA at 100yds. I have shot/played with/borrowed/owned around a dozen different ones from long ago to recently, and there has not been one of them that couldn't shoot MOA or better. Maybe I have been uncommonly lucky with them, but I have talked to others who have had similar experiences.

Bret4207
11-11-2006, 06:35 PM
No kiddin'!!?? Thats jsut the opposite of my past experience. Thanks for the info, I may have to see if I can do a few test shots.

rmb721
11-11-2006, 08:42 PM
I have a Savage 24-V in .222 over 20 ga. Rifle barrel is very accurate, but when sighted in on rifle barrel the shotgun barrel's center of pattern shoots low. Center of pattern is at top of big part of duplex. I just have to use the duplex like a post.

Four Fingers of Death
11-11-2006, 08:48 PM
My mate had one of those 222/20G and he used to pop rabbit's heads off at 100yards using the issue sights with monotonous regularity. I've never owned a Savage (bit clunky looking for me, although I am reconsidering, after a 243) but I have hunted with a lot of guys who had them and shot at the range beside a lot of them, never a bad report. Obviously Savage make classy barrels and when you think about it, the other bits are just hanging off the barrel ain't they. Mick.

David R
11-12-2006, 07:21 AM
I have one in 222/20. Its an awesome meat gun. I prefer to hunt partridge instead of deer, but I have shot both with it. When deer hunting, I do all the driving and let the other guys sit. At the end of the day, I usually have something to eat.

My first one would come open upon firing. It also had a crack in the chamber of the 222. I am lucky, I bought it from a gunsmith and he send it back. They said nothing wrong with the gun and returned it with the same problems. He sent it back again and I got a new gun. This one shoots great even though the 222 barrel is terrible looking and I can't reach the rifling with any boolit.

It did always shoot the J boolits well. For lead, I did find a load that would shoot. 1.5" at 50 yards, 8" at 100. I would never shoot over 50 yards anyhow, my eyes are not that good. A fired case mikes .231 on the inside. Chamber dimensions are "generous"

I had a williams peep sight installed on it which was a huge help.

If you can buy an older one, you will probably be better off, but this is just my opinion. Mine has a stinkin cross bolt safty. Whaddyaneedthat fer on a hammer gun?

I love this gun.

The shot gun patterned OK, then I took a straight reamer and took a few thousands out of the end of the choke. It now patterns beautiful. MANY grouse have fallen to this gun. I can shoot it like it was made for me.

If I was only allowed one long gun, this would be it.

I won a slug shoot at my club quite a few years back. Lots of grumbeling from the guys with rifled barrels and expensive slugs. Probably the reciever sight helped more than anything else.

I sanded off the finish and used some cherry stain on the stock. It doesn't look any better than the original finish which was almost paint.

David

Bret4207
11-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys. This is languishing on the rack at a shop and I had visions of a nice varmint calling combo gun. This has the new style, klunky plastic stock. Darn thing weighs a ton too. I was thinking either a low power scope or a recvr sight for coyotes out to 150-200 yards. Thx

versifier
11-13-2006, 04:22 PM
I would go with the receiver sight, they are awful hard on scopes, and the scope only gets in your way if you need to get onto a bird quickly. You may have to d&t it yourself, but it is no big deal - you will need a bottoming tap to thread to the bottom of the shallow holes. With the receiver sight, all you are aware of is the front sight anyway (I remove the insert for anything but target work), so it works for both. Some of the shotgun barrels can be picky as to brand of shells - you have to experiment to find ones whose patterns center on point of aim. I always toyed with the idea of having choke tubes installed, but never did it.

MT Gianni
11-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Mine is a 22 over 20 gauge and came with a cheap chinese red dot scope that shoots well and holds up to the 20 gauge recoil which I have heard can be a problem in scoping a 24. Gianni.

Pepe Ray
11-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Williams makes a receiver site to fit the grooved top of the Sav bbl/rcvrs.
No D/T.
Pepe Ray

Lucky Joe
11-16-2006, 09:55 PM
I have a M24 in the .22 Hornet over 20 ga.. I really play with this gun and have loads for the Hornet from very light to rip roarin coyote loads, my lightest load makes no more noise than a cap gun and brings a squirrel right out of a tree. Shotgun barrell works well too.

klausg
11-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Bret- I concur with the new plastic stocks, they make the damn thing feel like a club. Mine is a .222/20 ga with a Lyman All American 4X on top; the scope does make hitting anything with the shotgun tube a little different [smilie=1: . I sort of use the elev turret as a rib/bead and managed to hit around 60% or so of the clays my buddy was chucking; I'm sure I'll come up with a better method given more practice. The rifle tube shoots j-words like a champ, generally one ragged hole w/one flier regardless of what I feed it. I've been messing around w/some 225415 boolits, but have yet to settle in a nice load, though one group I shot last weekend shows quite a little promise. It measured around 2.5", perfectly strung vertically. I mean I think you could hang a plumb bob between top & bottom. The other caution I would give you is to watch that skinny barrel, mine is generally only good for about 5 rounds, (dependent on ambient temp) before it's time to go scrounge brass for awhile. If the price is right, I'd say GFI, you won't be dissapointed with the accuracy.

-Klaus