PDA

View Full Version : Hitzer...

BCB
11-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Anyone have experience with these wood/coal heaters--especially the Model 55. Thanks...BCB

dragonrider
11-11-2006, 11:40 AM
No experience with that model or company but I use a coal boiler that I converted into a hot air furnace, heats both floors of my barn very well. I have ordered the stove in the link below for the basement of my home to replace a pellet stove there. The coal stove will have almost three times the btu output of the pellet stove it is replacing.
http://www.harmanstoves.com/callouts.asp?id=7
I guess I didn't answer you question but if you have never used coal before you will be impressed my its heat output.

BCB
11-12-2006, 09:38 AM
dragonrider,

I have looked at he Harman line of heaters--they are very nice. They would be good for a finished basement or main living space. I am puttimg my heater in a garage and a plain jane will work well.
I have an old Sears/Craftsman in my garage now. It is an airtight model from the late 1970's. It has worked well, but it is getting some rust and the metal is getting thin in a few places. I also smokes when the feed door is open, even with the ash door open to add draw. It is just plain worn out. But then over 25 years ain't all that bad. And, yep I have burned much coal in the past. I live in the bituminous area of Western PA and have worked with coal related jobs my entire life. Thanks for the info...BCB