PDA

View Full Version : Mortar

John Taylor
02-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Having built a few mortars my daughter knows what I can do. She saw this at a pawn shop and took the picture. She said they paid $5,000 for it and were asking $8,000. First thing I saw was the size of the axles on the wheels and knew it had never been shot with any heavy loads. The last one I had would put a 16 pound bowling ball out of sight with 3 ounces of powder. Recoil is very high when doing something like that. The one pictured would never hold up under that type of load.http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/johnptaylor/Mortar5S.jpg

Nobade
02-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeah, looking at the welds on the tube I wonder how it is put together and if it should be fired at all...

John Taylor
02-04-2011, 12:31 AM
My daughter said they fired it but only went a little ways. The last one I made we shot a ball over 1/2 mile.

waksupi
02-04-2011, 12:32 AM
I think you can buy a good full scale cannon from Dixie for a couple grand. I'd sure pass on this one.

akajun
02-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I do believe thats the Infamous Pawn Stars shop and if you want to see that mortar fire, watch the back episodes.

The Chumlee poster in the background gave it away.

Baron von Trollwhack
02-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Four years ago at the National Skirmishes, N-SSA. org you could buy a complete mortar and a set of balls (Zinc, weight/diameter matched) for $1200. About 5" diameter bore if I recall correctly. I was helping crew several mortars then. Quite a few are shot in accuracy competition and a few are big enough to require a hoist to get them off the carriage to set up. BvT