PDA

View Full Version : shooting cast and jacket bullets

rp85
02-03-2011, 04:15 PM
hello;

trying to work up some accurate reloads using cast and jacketed bullets.

is it best to clean the bore after shooting one type bullet before shooting another type of bullet?

example, shoot 20 rounds of cast bullets, clean the bore, and then shoot 20 rounds of jacketed bullets.

think i know the answer but would like input from others.

thanks

rp

HighHook
02-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Hello, I think that (J word):holysheep is a bad word around this neck of the computer woods. Gas check is ok.

There should be others here to give an explanation...

Armorer
02-03-2011, 07:25 PM
is it best to clean the bore after shooting one type bullet before shooting another type of bullet?

rp

I don't know if it's "best" or not, but any time I change something in my cartridge configuration such as powder, primer, seat depth, I always at least punch my bore. Doesn't matter if I am shooting boolits or bullets.

My ¢2
Armorer

danielk
02-03-2011, 07:37 PM
If you go from shooting jacketed to cast boolits you will want to get as much if not "all" the cooper fouling out. Otherwise you will not have a true representation as to what that load is doing in terms of both accuracy and leading.

RobS
02-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Lead will stick to copper so if your bore has copper fowling then lead will likely follow. The other way around, shooting cast and then jacketed, though may not present problems unless your cast boolits are leading the bore first.

Personally, I would only shoot one or the other and clean in between, but then again I don't shoot any jacketed bullets anymore either.

mpmarty
02-03-2011, 07:57 PM
My "pet" rifle has never had a "J"word bullet in its chamber and never will. Cupro-nickle fouling is bad news and harder than lead to remove completely. Failure to remove it will cause all sorts of problems. I have nothing against cheap surplus ball ammo in my auto weapons but for my accurate, lovingly cared for rifles jackets are a no no.

Dannix
02-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Why do both in the same gun? What cartridge and gun are you loading for?

rp85
02-03-2011, 09:58 PM
hello;

thanks for the replies.

the rifle is a 1916 spanish mauser in 308win. this rifle was purchased to shoot cast bullets, pls no lectures on pressure limitation of the rifle. have a self-impost limit of 43k# on my reloads. it would be on my part foolish not to have a good understanding of accuracy with jacket bullets in this rifle.

have a large supply of 150, 170, and 180 grain bullets, have two bullet casting molds r.c.b.s. (180gr.) and a lee (190gr.). what ever jacket bullet gives me the best accuracy within my self-imposed limitation is what i will reload. what ever cast bullet gives me the best accuracy within my self-imposed limitation is what i will reload.

to determine the most accurate reload with both types of bullets will require a huge amount of time at a reloading bench and a huge amount of time at a shooting bench. making a trip to a shooting range to shoot only one type of bullets is not an efficient use of my time.

i’m going to shoot both types of bullets when i make a trip to the range. my question was to get an insight of potential problems shooting both type of bullets and how to resolve any problems that might arise.

again, thanks for input.

rp

warf73
02-04-2011, 02:50 AM
hello;

trying to work up some accurate reloads using cast and jacketed bullets.

is it best to clean the bore after shooting one type bullet before shooting another type of bullet? YES
example, shoot 20 rounds of cast bullets, clean the bore, and then shoot 20 rounds of jacketed bullets.This is the best way to do it, just make sure your barrel is spottless everytime you change.think i know the answer but would like input from others.

thanks

rp

Hope this gets ya going.

rp85
02-04-2011, 09:09 AM
thanks for confirming my thoughts. now the "fun" begins.